It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

barbjean13 HB User
Hip Bursitis and Exercise

I am currently under the care of a chiropractor for lower back and knee issues. Had knee arthroscopy in January and September and still have awful lateral pain. But, on top of that, hip bursitis has flared up again. Had two shots of cortisone which helped a bit, but gradually wore off. I find it painful to walk, almost feeling pain in my quad. I get such conflicting info on what exercise I can do without further aggravating it. I cannot stand to not have any of my usual workout routines: pickleball, elliptical, zumba, tennis, aerobics. I have been relegated to only doing the bike for cardio, but now I read that is not good for bursitis. I am going on a trip in April which will entail a good deal of walking and really want to try to clear this up by then. Any suggestions on what I can do as far as exercise without making it worse? I am feeling a bit discouraged as I was always in good shape and participated in competitive sports. I am 61 now and it seems like one injury after another. Thanks for any input, Barb Shields

Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Hip Bursitis and Exercise

Hi Barb -- apart from upper body exercise (e.g., kranking which is like a stationary bicycle for the arms), I don't know whether there is any exercise which won't aggravate hip bursitis. I would recommend starting out with short intervals of exercise and ice well afterward.

You might want to schedule a doctor's visit for right before the trip, in case another cortisone short is necessary. Be sure to ask the doctor about possible tendon/ligament damage with the cortisone. I think that it is as much a concern with injections into the bursa, as opposed to injections into an inflamed joint.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Thanks, Sweetpeain, I will definitely look into having another cortisone shot if this does not improve. This is just becoming a very nagging ailment.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

You might also want to work with a physical therapist to determine if there is a mechanical cause for the bursitis and whether strengthening or targeted stretches can help the situation. The injections are often helpful short-term, but as you have seen, the pain will come back if the underlying cause is not addressed.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

You are right about that, Sweet Pea. The chiro I see seems to think I have alot of biomechanical issues from the waist down and that I need to work on strenghtening my lower back. I am sure having a painful knee also hasn't helped. The week before I got the bursitis, I was wearing some new "barefoot" type shoes I got. They felt so comfortable, but then I read that bursitis could be cause by using shoes without support. Now, I am a bit afraid to wear them again. Thanks, Barb

The following user gives a hug of support to barbjean13:
SweetPeainSF (01-30-2013)
Reply Reply