It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
(male)

asquirrel HB User
sharp pain just under patella when extending knee

Hello follks. First post here. I've had this problem I've had with my knee which has been going on for years but has gotten to the point I need to get some help. I have this pain in my right knee. It's right underneath the patella and in the middle. It doesn't hurt at all unless I go from a seated or squatting position to standing. Then I get sharp, intense pain right at that spot to the point I can't put weight on that knee and have to use something to support myself to stand up. Once I get to about 80-90 % extension it doesn't hurt anymore and I can stand on the leg no problem.

I do have popping knees if I flex my legs on both sides. It's a really loud pop and I've had this since I was a kid. I also have really tight hamstrings. I stretch them but it doesn't seem to help. Just through I'd let you know this in case it might help with troubleshooting the problem. Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
(male)

CLB1988 HB User
Re: sharp pain just under patella when extending knee

I have a similar problem with my left knee except there's more of a clunking sound in the knee joint when I extend the leg all the way and experience the sharp pain at a greater angle than that. I've gotten the diagnosis of patellafemoral pain and more recently plica syndrome/ hoffa's fat pad. What you're describing sounds like patellafemoral but I'd have it checked out. The doctors that I've talked to have said that often males with tight hamstrings have a tight lateral retinaculum which causes the patella to track to the outside which throws off the mechanics of the entire knee joint. Most likely if you see an orthopedist the first thing they'll do is prescribe physical therapy, that is if they don't order the MRI first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
(male)

asquirrel HB User

Thanks CLB for the response. I asked my PCP to refer me to an orthopedic doctor so hopefully I'll be able to get this sorted out. I hope to goodness I don't need to get an MRI first b/c that's going to cost me a small fortune without insurance. Grr.

Are you doing PT for your knee problem and if so did it help?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
(male)

CLB1988 HB User

I did pt for a little while for my knee and it definitely helped. Right now I am debating getting an operation so the pt didn't fix it 100%. My main problem is constant painful popping when I walk and a feeling of pressure in my knee. But pt definitely helps with that because building up your quads and hamstrings helps put less stress on the joint when you squat down.

Reply Reply