It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

tomah HB User
Question have to postpone hip replacement - what to do in the meantime?

I have bone on bone on my rip hip. I had been getting interarticular hip injections which were helping, but now that it is worse, they aren't helping as much. My DH had a major heart attack and is now in congestive heart failure. I can't have both of us unable to do things, so I have to wait a while to get the hip replaced. I find I limp a lot, and am in pain, and when I try to walk, say, in a grocery store, my LEFT foot hurts, I think because I am putting all my weight on it because I can't put much weight on the right hip. I feel as though my right hip is going to give out. Does anyone have any advice on a hip brace or something that may help until everything is settled down and I can get this replaced? I am also getting pain down my right thigh. Any input would be much appreciated.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: have to postpone hip replacement - what to do in the meantime?

It might help to get a cane to give you some support. I also recommend icing your hip too. Get one of those big back sized ice packs. Really, Ice helps a lot. It is your friend. The foot probably hurts because of referred pain from the hip and also probably you have really tight hip and leg muscles. If you can get a massage, that helps a lot. I found too that using Icy HOt or similar patches gave some relief too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: have to postpone hip replacement - what to do in the meantime?

I second the recommendation for a cane; it will aid your "good" side and help to keep from developing a limp, which can mess up your back. I wish that I had used a cane between my hip surgeries. Most grocery store have mechanized carts for use. You can also ask your doctor whether you qualify for handicapped parking, either temporarily or permanently.

When sleeping on my back, I have a large foam wedge that I bought at a back store. Having the support under my knees pulls the hip gently, relieving pressure. I also put a pillow between my knees while on my back.

If you find yourself taking pain relievers, there are several prescription NSAIDs, including a combination pill (arthrotec) which contains a stomach protector. You might also consider physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the hip. Doing so will help your recovery when you do have your hip replaced.

I hope that your husband's health improves.

Reply Reply