It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

JRogers60456 HB User
Bilateral Knee Replacement

Anyone have both knees done at the same time? Am curious as to your recovery. I am 9 weeks out and just have nothing to compare whether or not I am doing well. I can walk with no assistance slowly, but use a cane when I go out, but the strength in one leg seems to be far behind the other.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User
Re: Bilateral Knee Replacement

Hi JRogers60456,
I had bilateral PFJR (patella femoral joint replacement) 3 years ago. Although it's not a total knee...the invasive nature and "milling" work required with that surgery makes the recovery very similar to that of a TKR.

I had my PFJR at age 46. It seems like you are doing well at 2 months one week out from surgery. The critical stages of healing take place during the first 3 months and considering you had both done at the same time, I'd add another month on top of that. Your knees and body went through the"ringer" with the surgery...not sure if you've ever seen a video of it...but your system is still in shock and ironing itself out...so to speak.

You mentioned that one leg is stronger than the other. That is common. Assuming that you don't have any other ortho issues (back, spine, ankle, hip)...it is most likely the typical muscle guarding and your leg getting used to this new dynamic. (I still have muscle weakness in my left leg...but I have a TON of ortho issues). I know of two other people who have had bilaterals who noted the same thing...one leg being stronger than the other.

Keep up with your PT!! That is VITAL!!! If possible, get in the pool. Your knee and leg are going to keep changing for at least a year! (My flexion continued to improve for 2.5 years). I wouldn't be too concerned at this phase in your recovery...just keep up with your PT!!!!

I hope this is helpful.

-Let Me Walk

Last edited by let me walk; 02-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

waldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB User
Re: Bilateral Knee Replacement

I had bilateral TKR in Dec 2010 at age 54. 2+ years later, I can FINALLY say that I have full extension again. My left knee was problematic during all the P/T sessions, so I had to push through the pain a lot.
I ran/walked a 5K recently and both knees felt wonderful. (My hamstrings, on the other hand, weren't too happy.)

Keep in touch & let us know how you're doing.
Lynn

Reply Reply