It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
"Just Walk Like John Wayne"

I've been working with a physical therapist on my gait post surgery. It seems that it's common for hip patients who have suffered for years to continue to throw the leg out after surgery. The operation made makes one mechanically perfect, but after so many years the brain and the muscles have been trained to compensate for the bad hip joint. Yesterday, my physical therapist told me to think of John Wayne when I walked.

My problem appears to be that I'm not allowing my hip to act as a hinge. My limp is very slight, but still present after 14 weeks post surgery. So I'm walking around chanting to myself "push, push... I was also told to shorten my stride just a bit so that I'm not getting shin splints......Bottom line, though it's common to have some gait abnormalities after surgery. Most should resolve, I'm told, by about 8 monts post surgery.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: "Just Walk Like John Wayne"

Keep working with PT. I had an undiagnosed labral tear for 14 years before my first (unhelpful) surgery, and the long-standing injury contributed to my own personal silly walk (Monty Python anyone?). I have endured painful back spasms as a result of swinging my hip through my gait, instead of hinging at the hip. The overall mechanics of a walk can cause other problems, so if you need a cane or other assistive device, even part-time while regaining your gait, please use one. I wish I had! Shorter steps can also help you to concentrate on walking correctly and building up your supportive muscles.

I try to ride on the stationary bike a couple times per week. At the beginning, the bike helped to restore my range of motion. Now, I am pedaling for short intervals with just the affected side. I realized that I was pivoting my hip downward through the downstroke, so I have been working to stop this practice and instead to use and strengthen the thigh and buttock muscles. Good luck with your continuing recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

I've been thinking I should try the stationary bike even though i find the gym bikes hard to adjust (I'm pretty short........)

Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

At the beginning, I adjusted my bike to where my foot could extend the entire way (not too much flexion in the hip). Now, I am graduating more to a normal bicycling position. As long as you are medically cleared, ask your PT for suggestions and try out a couple different bikes, including recumbent, until you find the right one.

Reply Reply