It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

Chillytoes HB User
meniscus surgery & tkr

My physical therapist told me yesterday that the arthrocope for meniscus surgery don't last. In fact, I was told that a tkr usually follows in a couple of years. Has anyone ever been told that? I have to be carefully, and not to reinjure my knee to avoid tkr. I was told that the meniscus will be easily frayed after part was removed.

I'm 3 wks out from surgery. This is my last week of pt. I'm so ready to get back in my high heels. I was told that I'm still not ready for them yet. Bummer!!! LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: meniscus surgery & tkr

I was told that tkr is usually needed at some point after a part of the meniscus is removed. It is usually a lot more than 2 years after meniscus surgery. There are many factors that come into play when deciding how long after meniscus removal that a tkr has to be done. Some of them are: how much meniscus was removed, the person's age, activity level, amount of arthritis in knee, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Thanks Ozfan. Wednesday as my last pt, and she told me again. I guess she wanted to make sure I'm careful not to reinjure my knee. She explained it all to me again on Wednesday. Maybe she knows how much of my meniscus my dr removed. I'm 61, and I do have oa in my knees. My dr is to check out my left knee to see what's going on with it, my I'm going to wait until the weather is a little warmer.

thanks

Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

I can understand the not wanting to reinjure your knee and the meniscus removal, but tkr is usually only done if most of your knee is bone on bone. I hope that yours isn't. Has your surgeon told you that you would need tkr within two years, or was it just the therapist that said that? I am a lot younger than you and I already have oa in my knees. I know that I will need a tkr eventually in my right knee because of a bone abnormality that was discovered during surgery in 2009. I will not have it done until I run out of options. My advice to you is to be as active as your knee will let you be while being somewhat cautious. Try not to dwell on the tkr that will occur in the future. Two years may go by and your knee may hold up well.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

The dr I"m going to at this time haven't told me anything about tkr, just the therapist. However, I have had a dr tell me that yrs ago. I'm try not to dwell on that fact, being cautious in my movements.

thanks

Reply Reply