It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
(male)

funboyflier HB User
Angry Bilateral knee replacement

OPERATION DONE LAST NOV 12. Left knee not doing as well as the right.Hard to move after about 3 hrs standing and walking. Seems to stiffen up and lose range of motion, until I give it a rest. Id like to know if this is normal.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Bilateral knee replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboyflier View Post
OPERATION DONE LAST NOV 12. Left knee not doing as well as the right.Hard to move after about 3 hrs standing and walking. Seems to stiffen up and lose range of motion, until I give it a rest. Id like to know if this is normal.
Hi funboyflier:
Do you mean that your bi lateral knee replacements were done on November 12, 2012 when you say last November? If so, that is only 3 MONTHS ago and if so, I would not be surprised that standing and walking about 3 hours would make one or both of your new knees stiffen up and lose range of motion!

If it improves after you give it a rest, it appears to me that you are overdoing your use of the knees at one stretch. Perhaps you need to take things a little easier and remember to "make haste slowly"?

This is no race - it is the rehabbing of your knees! And we get only one shot at recovery and rehab of these new knees. Best to do it right by not doing too much at one time. We all get back to normal at our own pace and there is no need to compare yourself with anyone else or live up to anyone else's opinion or timetable. Listen to your body - it knows how much to do at one time.And I think you have already asked more than enough of your body by having both knees done at the same time. I sure could not have done that and regard you as a Hero.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 02-18-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User

Hi There,
I had bilateral PFJR (Patella Femoral Joint Replacement) 3 years ago (2/24/2010)! Silver Swan is right in saying that being on your feet for 3 hours is A LOT at almost three months out from surgery. You're still in the critical phase of healing and since you've had a bilateral..that phase is usually longer.

I was walking and doing stairs the day of surgery and continued throughout the critical phase of healing (6 months). I did my PT exercises 4 times a day. I was diligent about that. At 2 months I was able to take some short hikes in Tucson Arizona...an hour tops with not much incline..and would have to rest and ice. That was the theme for a long time...PT, Walk and test things a bit, ICE, ELEVATE, etc.

My knees were still changing (getting more flexion, etc) 1.5 years after my surgery. Listen to your body it's wise. I strongly believe that being on your feet for 3 hours at a time is too much at this phase.

I hope this helps...from on bilateral to another. Best Wishes on your recovery!

Let Me Walk

Last edited by let me walk; 02-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
(female)

alaskelly HB User

My Bi lat TKR was Dec 9, 2009 ~ i too wanted quicker recovery but Let Me Walk reinforces my rehab journey success. Now just over 3 years I move very well -- in fact sometimes I really forget that I had surgery! Good luck. This board was soooo very helpful to me

The Following User Says Thank You to alaskelly For This Useful Post:
waldosmom (04-18-2013)
Reply Reply

Tags
knee & hip[ problems