It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

nicolemparks HB User
Knee and hip pain

Hello!

I am 25 years old and am a graduate student violin performance major who leads an active lifestyle.

About a week and a half ago, my hips started hurting. I attributed it to the fact that I recently returned to swing dancing after many years away. I thought after a night or two the pain would cease and with stretching, it would get better.

However, I woke up about a week ago with a horrible pain in my left knee. It hurt so badly, it kept me from returning to sleep, and only got slightly better as the day went on. Since then, things have gone through periods of getting better and worse, but the last two nights have proven quite terrible with the pain. I am hoping to call a doctor in the morning, but want to know what I should say about it. It is mostly in my hips and knees, but sometimes also my left ankle. I am thinking it might be lower back trouble? I'm just not sure what to think and the pain is almost unbearable. Laying down is the only reasonably comfortable thing I can do.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

Nicole

Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Knee and hip pain

Hi there -- I think you are probably right to consult with your doctor, as your symptoms haven't resolved and may be getting worse? I would describe exactly what you posted.

You might also want to note any swelling and the exact location of the pain (inner part of the knee, front, back, etc.) If you do have a pinched nerve, for example, the location of the nerve should correspond to what are called dermatomes. You should also be prepared to describe the pain. Does it feel like a sore, over-worked muscle? Are you having pain just in the joints or is the pain shooting? Burning? Pinching? If you can describe it well over the phone, the doctor should be able to address whether you need an office visit and whether it's urgent.

You might also want to consider icing and taking an over-the-counter pain reliever before sleep, since you are being kept up at night. Let the doctor know whether you gain relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
(female)

kidoze HB User

Hi Nicole,
Have you taken Levaquin or Cipro in the last couple of months? These antibiotics have known to cause tendon and muscle damage and lots of pain. I suffer from pain in my knee and biceps from taking Levaquin.
Kim

Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
(male)

rojcycleman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidoze View Post
Hi Nicole,
Have you taken Levaquin or Cipro in the last couple of months? These antibiotics have known to cause tendon and muscle damage and lots of pain. I suffer from pain in my knee and biceps from taking Levaquin.
Kim
Hip arthritis often masquerades as knee pain. I have had both hip and knee pain for about a year, and will have a total hip replacement in 2 weeks. My surgeon is confident it will resolve my knee pain. In any event, seeing an orthopedist and getting some xrays is the way to go.

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle, hips, knees, pain