It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Dental Procedure after Hip Replacement

I just learned that I need to have a tooth extracted and an implant put in its place. I know that I have to take antibiotics before dental procedures but am wondering if anyone else is aware of other restrictions. I have heard that you should wait 3 months after surgery before having procedures unless its an emergency. I am just at 16 weeks so think I'm ok. will call surgeon's office just to make sure but would like to know what others have been told.

Maggie

Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Dental Procedure after Hip Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larimergirl View Post
I just learned that I need to have a tooth extracted and an implant put in its place. I know that I have to take antibiotics before dental procedures but am wondering if anyone else is aware of other restrictions. I have heard that you should wait 3 months after surgery before having procedures unless its an emergency. I am just at 16 weeks so think I'm ok. will call surgeon's office just to make sure but would like to know what others have been told.

Maggie
Hi larimergirl:
Wow! This is a biggie. I am anxious to hear what the hip surgeon has to say about this. Please keep us posted. IS this an emergency? Hope you are doing OK so far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

J Annette HB User

I could have written this post. I am in the exact same situation but I had TKR about 13 weeks ago. I am waiting for a call from my doctor's office today and anxious to see how my advice compares to yours!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
(male)

rojcycleman HB User

I am having a new hip in 2 weeks. I have been told to expect to always take antibiotics before dental work, even teeth cleaning. At a minumum, you probably need to do that for 2 years, if not the rest of your life. There are lots of bad critters in our mouths...the last thing you want to do is let them loose to infect your hip.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojcycleman View Post
I am having a new hip in 2 weeks. I have been told to expect to always take antibiotics before dental work, even teeth cleaning. At a minumum, you probably need to do that for 2 years, if not the rest of your life. There are lots of bad critters in our mouths...the last thing you want to do is let them loose to infect your hip.
Hi rojcycleman:
Taking the antibiotics before a dental appointment is no trouble at all! I get amoxicillin and either the dentist or your surgeon provides the prescription and also your dentist can prescribe. I take the antibiotic an hour before the appointment. It is only in recent years that I have heard about how bad the germs in our mouth can be - they can get into the blood stream and cause heart problems. Who knew?
I have decided to keep taking the antibiotic before dental cleaning and/or other work and it doesn't bother me. Better safe than sorry.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojcycleman View Post
HI rojcycleman:
I have decided I will continue to take the anti biotic before dental exams, cleaning, and any repair work. Better to do this than to risk infections from the bacteria in our mouths. I take amoxicillin an hour before the appointment and it is no trouble at all. You can get a prescription from the dentist or your surgeon. It is only in recent years that I have read about the possibility of mouth bacteria getting into the blood stream and into the heart where infections can be serious.

Reply Reply