It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

canuck46 HB User
right hip replacement

i am scheduled for hip replacement surgery in aril. any helpful hints or info would e appreciated.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: right hip replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck46 View Post
i am scheduled for hip replacement surgery in aril. any helpful hints or info would e appreciated.
Hi canuck46:
At the top of the screen you will find the category Advanced Search. By typing in words such as "dressing aids"; "pain management", etc. you may find answers to a lot of your questions regarding hip replacements. I personally have answered many questions on this forum so I know they are there!

Please post specific questions you may have if you don't find anwers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Thank you so much. I have been catching up on all the posts re hip surgery. I like to be prepared! Thanks again. Mar

Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
(female)

fleafly HB User

Hello canuk46,

I hope you are doing well since your April hip surgery. I was wondering how you were doing? Was the hip replacement on the same side as your triple arthrodesis? Please give us an update on your situation if you're up to it. Thank you!

(If you've already answered these questions in another thread, could you direct us to those comments, please? Thanks again!)

Be well,
FF

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Thank you for inquiring re my recovery from right hip replacement. I am doing very well. Firstly, the surgery took 80 minutes with no complications. I was standing and walking a little about 9 hours later. My pain level was very minimal. On day 2 I was working with physical therapist and walking in the hallway. I couldn't believe that my pain was so minimal in comparison to the pain I had experienced prior to surgery. After day 2 I was only on tylenol every 4-6 hours and the nurses couldn't believe that I didn't need any narcotic medication. I was released to a rehab center on day 4 because I was concerned about all the stairs in my home - I live in a multi-story home. I did really well in rehab and was itching to go home after 3 days. I felt confident that I could walk the stairs and take care of myself. Again I was only taking tylenol every 6 hours. I am now 3 1/2 weeks from surgery and am in out patient PT, I can walk up and down stairs, I have walked in the grocery store, around my neighborhood etc. I am far from perfect but each day I am getting better. I was so afraid of the surgery, but it is true what everyone said. It is almost instant pain relief and the recuperation period is not as stressful as the pain experienced prior to surgery. In comparison to my triple arthrodesis this was much easier! I hope this helps somone else about to have hip replacement surgery! Mar

The Following User Says Thank You to canuck46 For This Useful Post:
fleafly (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
(female)

fleafly HB User

I had a pretty easy time of it with my first knee replacement. Not so much so with the other replacement. Funny how things vary.

Is this hip replacement on the same side as your triple arthrodesis? How has your foot been since you had the hip surgery? Have you noticed any differences with the foot? Or with the knees? Foot surgery, especially fusions, are a real bear to recover from. I don't think people really realize that until they have trouble with their feet and need surgery (not that I would wish it on them!)

Thanks for all the info you have provided. If and when the time comes to have hip replacement surgery, having posts like yours to come back to is really helpful.

I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleafly View Post
I had a pretty easy time of it with my first knee replacement. Not so much so with the other replacement. Funny how things vary.

Is this hip replacement on the same side as your triple arthrodesis? How has your foot been since you had the hip surgery? Have you noticed any differences with the foot? Or with the knees? Foot surgery, especially fusions, are a real bear to recover from. I don't think people really realize that until they have trouble with their feet and need surgery (not that I would wish it on them!)

Thanks for all the info you have provided. If and when the time comes to have hip replacement surgery, having posts like yours to come back to is really helpful.

I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Yes the hip replacement was on the same side as my triple arthrodesis. I have been so lucky with that surgery as well as I don't have any pain in my foot or ankle and it has not been an issue with the hip replacement. The ankle surgery was much more difficult since you are non-weight bearing for such a long time and healing takes much longer. I feel fortunate to have good strength in my right foot and hopefully when my hip is fully healed I will be able to do everything I was able to before both surgeries. By the way I am almost 67 years young and hope to have many good years ahead. I understand knee surgery is more difficult then hip surgery as far as recuperation and kudos to you for having both knees done.

The Following User Says Thank You to canuck46 For This Useful Post:
fleafly (05-20-2013)
Reply Reply