It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

barbjean13 HB User
Question Recommendations for TKR at Hospital for Special Surgery?

I want to have a consult for knee replacement at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. I have seen some positive posts about Dr. Steven Haas. Has anyone had the surgery done there and have a doctor to recommend? Thanks, Barb

Last edited by barbjean13; 04-01-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
(female)

CPCruizer HB User
Re: Recommendations for TKR at Hospital for Special Surgery?

I had my hip replaced in 5/09 and just had my knee replaced on 4/19/13 at HSS.
I highly recommend HSS.
Best hospital in the country for orthopedic surgery.
I can't recommend a Dr being I don't know where you live.
You can do a search on their website for a Dr in your area.
Or you can call the hosp. That is what I did.
They referred me to Dr Rose on Long Island.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCruizer View Post
I had my hip replaced in 5/09 and just had my knee replaced on 4/19/13 at HSS.
I highly recommend HSS.
Best hospital in the country for orthopedic surgery.
I can't recommend a Dr being I don't know where you live.
You can do a search on their website for a Dr in your area.
Or you can call the hosp. That is what I did.
They referred me to Dr Rose on Long Island.
I have been away so just saw your post. Went to London and Paris and my trip was really hampered by this knee. Saw a doctor here this morning who thinks I should have replacement soon. He is kind, compassionate and a good listener. I know several people who have had him do theirs and they have been happy. I just keep wondering if I should still come down to HSS to talk to them too. Problem is i live near Albany and I am afraid of not having a doc close if something goes wrong in the weeks after. So you just had yours done? I am so scared. Are you happy you did it? Thanks, Barb

Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
(female)

CPCruizer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjean13 View Post
I have been away so just saw your post. Went to London and Paris and my trip was really hampered by this knee. Saw a doctor here this morning who thinks I should have replacement soon. He is kind, compassionate and a good listener. I know several people who have had him do theirs and they have been happy. I just keep wondering if I should still come down to HSS to talk to them too. Problem is i live near Albany and I am afraid of not having a doc close if something goes wrong in the weeks after. So you just had yours done? I am so scared. Are you happy you did it? Thanks, Barb
Barb
Wow! Nice trip....glad you were able to go.

First let me say, if I am happy or not.... at the moment...no! The pain... I didn't have this much before surgery....Everyone tells me it will get better....I sure hope so. My knee was really messed up, it will take a long time to heal....
With that said....
I was first going to have my hip replaced with a local Ortho.... When I was discussing my surgery with a friend, she mentioned HSS.. Never heard of it before... Did a quick search on line, read how they are the best in the country for replacements and have a low infection rate....Well, two days before surgery, I called and canceled the surgery... And called HSS for them to refer me to a Surgery near my area....they immediately set up an appt with the surgeon the NEXT day....
I figured HSS has a lot of replacement parts readily available to match a patient needs... Where as a local hospital might not.... Plus all the patients are there for the same thing..... where as a local hospital has patients in for a variety of things.... HSS you see everyone with wheelchairs, walkers, canes....
Wondering, if you called the hospital mentioning your concern about a Dr maybe they can recommend one in your area.
When I had my knee done, I asked several people where they were from... Some Conn, some Penn, upstate NY...one from Ill.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Thanks so much for the advice. I am still contemplating calling them. Everyone you talk to gives you a different idea and it can get so confusing. Even though my knee is s problem, my hip is bothering me so much I feel I need to take care of this first. One doc here thinks it is referred pain from my back, but I am beginning to think it is hip related. Sharp pain over hip whenever I take a step.
I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain from your knee. Are you taking the meds? I surely hope you start to feel better and feel glad that you had it done. Keep me posted on your progress. Take care, Barb

Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
(female)

CPCruizer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjean13 View Post
Thanks so much for the advice. I am still contemplating calling them. Everyone you talk to gives you a different idea and it can get so confusing. Even though my knee is s problem, my hip is bothering me so much I feel I need to take care of this first. One doc here thinks it is referred pain from my back, but I am beginning to think it is hip related. Sharp pain over hip whenever I take a step.
I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain from your knee. Are you taking the meds? I surely hope you start to feel better and feel glad that you had it done. Keep me posted on your progress. Take care, Barb
Barb
I know the feeling about reading conflicting stories.
Best suggestion is ask people, co-workers, friends, neighbors, etc if they know of a GOOD Othro Surgeon in your area.
The more they do, the better they are.....

Being my knee has always given me problems, when my hip started to hurt, I too thought it was knee related... Favoring the good leg when I walked...Pain was so unbearable - couldn't stand nor walk...excruciating painful....Had it xrayed and was told I had fractured my hip... Needed a replacement.
So go have it checked.... don't wait till you have more damage... Dr might just say bed rest...or... surgery... Sorry to say.

Good luck to you...

Reply Reply