It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Latham, New York
Posts: 42
barbjean13 HB User
Question Recommendations for TKR at Hospital for Special Surgery?

I want to have a consult for knee replacement at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. I have seen some positive posts about Dr. Steven Haas. Has anyone had the surgery done there and have a doctor to recommend? Thanks, Barb

Last edited by barbjean13; 04-01-2013 at 06:37 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 18
CPCruizer HB User
Re: Recommendations for TKR at Hospital for Special Surgery?

I had my hip replaced in 5/09 and just had my knee replaced on 4/19/13 at HSS.
I highly recommend HSS.
Best hospital in the country for orthopedic surgery.
I can't recommend a Dr being I don't know where you live.
You can do a search on their website for a Dr in your area.
Or you can call the hosp. That is what I did.
They referred me to Dr Rose on Long Island.

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Latham, New York
Posts: 42
barbjean13 HB User
Re: Recommendations for TKR at Hospital for Special Surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCruizer View Post
I had my hip replaced in 5/09 and just had my knee replaced on 4/19/13 at HSS.
I highly recommend HSS.
Best hospital in the country for orthopedic surgery.
I can't recommend a Dr being I don't know where you live.
You can do a search on their website for a Dr in your area.
Or you can call the hosp. That is what I did.
They referred me to Dr Rose on Long Island.
I have been away so just saw your post. Went to London and Paris and my trip was really hampered by this knee. Saw a doctor here this morning who thinks I should have replacement soon. He is kind, compassionate and a good listener. I know several people who have had him do theirs and they have been happy. I just keep wondering if I should still come down to HSS to talk to them too. Problem is i live near Albany and I am afraid of not having a doc close if something goes wrong in the weeks after. So you just had yours done? I am so scared. Are you happy you did it? Thanks, Barb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 18
CPCruizer HB User
Re: Recommendations for TKR at Hospital for Special Surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjean13 View Post
I have been away so just saw your post. Went to London and Paris and my trip was really hampered by this knee. Saw a doctor here this morning who thinks I should have replacement soon. He is kind, compassionate and a good listener. I know several people who have had him do theirs and they have been happy. I just keep wondering if I should still come down to HSS to talk to them too. Problem is i live near Albany and I am afraid of not having a doc close if something goes wrong in the weeks after. So you just had yours done? I am so scared. Are you happy you did it? Thanks, Barb
Barb
Wow! Nice trip....glad you were able to go.

First let me say, if I am happy or not.... at the moment...no! The pain... I didn't have this much before surgery....Everyone tells me it will get better....I sure hope so. My knee was really messed up, it will take a long time to heal....
With that said....
I was first going to have my hip replaced with a local Ortho.... When I was discussing my surgery with a friend, she mentioned HSS.. Never heard of it before... Did a quick search on line, read how they are the best in the country for replacements and have a low infection rate....Well, two days before surgery, I called and canceled the surgery... And called HSS for them to refer me to a Surgery near my area....they immediately set up an appt with the surgeon the NEXT day....
I figured HSS has a lot of replacement parts readily available to match a patient needs... Where as a local hospital might not.... Plus all the patients are there for the same thing..... where as a local hospital has patients in for a variety of things.... HSS you see everyone with wheelchairs, walkers, canes....
Wondering, if you called the hospital mentioning your concern about a Dr maybe they can recommend one in your area.
When I had my knee done, I asked several people where they were from... Some Conn, some Penn, upstate NY...one from Ill.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Latham, New York
Posts: 42
barbjean13 HB User
Re: Recommendations for TKR at Hospital for Special Surgery?

Thanks so much for the advice. I am still contemplating calling them. Everyone you talk to gives you a different idea and it can get so confusing. Even though my knee is s problem, my hip is bothering me so much I feel I need to take care of this first. One doc here thinks it is referred pain from my back, but I am beginning to think it is hip related. Sharp pain over hip whenever I take a step.
I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain from your knee. Are you taking the meds? I surely hope you start to feel better and feel glad that you had it done. Keep me posted on your progress. Take care, Barb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 18
CPCruizer HB User
Re: Recommendations for TKR at Hospital for Special Surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjean13 View Post
Thanks so much for the advice. I am still contemplating calling them. Everyone you talk to gives you a different idea and it can get so confusing. Even though my knee is s problem, my hip is bothering me so much I feel I need to take care of this first. One doc here thinks it is referred pain from my back, but I am beginning to think it is hip related. Sharp pain over hip whenever I take a step.
I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain from your knee. Are you taking the meds? I surely hope you start to feel better and feel glad that you had it done. Keep me posted on your progress. Take care, Barb
Barb
I know the feeling about reading conflicting stories.
Best suggestion is ask people, co-workers, friends, neighbors, etc if they know of a GOOD Othro Surgeon in your area.
The more they do, the better they are.....

Being my knee has always given me problems, when my hip started to hurt, I too thought it was knee related... Favoring the good leg when I walked...Pain was so unbearable - couldn't stand nor walk...excruciating painful....Had it xrayed and was told I had fractured my hip... Needed a replacement.
So go have it checked.... don't wait till you have more damage... Dr might just say bed rest...or... surgery... Sorry to say.

Good luck to you...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



SweetPeainSF (48), janewhite1 (47), Silver Swan (30), jennybyc (26), SpineAZ (24), Grumpyathome (21), james079 (20), ldy12 (19), glennxyz (17), tiredbeinsick (17)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:33 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!