It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

hockeyknee HB User
TKR in 8 weeks . . .

Thanks to all of the posters who have shared details of their recoveries, what to buy ahead of time, what to ask, etc.

I am REALLY looking forward to having my knee replaced in 8 weeks. I am 46 and first injured my knee when I was 18. Lots of surgeries, ACL modifications with an experimental surgery in the '80s, a popped staple and septic knee, no more meniscus . . . anyway. Sounds a bit twisted, but I am looking forward to this.

I am trying to be as active as I can before the surgery - which is fairly active considering the state of my knee. I am an elementary PE teacher and am playing my last year of softball. There are days I can go to the gym and work on the elliptical and lift a little, and there are days that I can't - it hurts too much.

Does anyone have any tips about whether or not it is worth it to push through pain right now and go to the gym anyway on hard days - keep a very steady strengthening/ ROM routine regardless? Any types of activities more important/useful than others?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
(male)

zimmerTKR HB UserzimmerTKR HB User
Re: TKR in 8 weeks . . .

Hockeyknee - I had a TKR on my left knee on 12 Feb, 2013. I worked out like a maniac for 3 months prior to my surgery. For Cardio I did the elliptical, and for weights I did machine based leg extensions, leg curls, seated calf raises, hip adduction, hip abduction. I also did a lot of core stuff as well as triceps, bicep curls, lat pull downs, and military presses for upper body.

Looking back on my recovery I would have to say "yes", getting in great shape really made that first couple of weeks a lot easier then if I had not. For the legs, it wasn't the surgical leg as much as the other leg. After surgery, your quad/hamstring are incapacitated for several days. Having the non-surgery leg in great shape helps you get around much easier. When it comes to upper body, having your core and triceps fit really helps with the walker and overall mobility etc. Also, being in good Cardio shape just insures you won't develop any respiratory problems.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your TKR.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply