It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
(female)

Marem HB User
Re: Upcoming Knee Replacement Need Support

I had my meniscus repaired 3 years before I had my partial done. It caused the arthritis to get worse. Up until the PKR. I had Supartz injections every 6 months. The meniscus retore. I was unable to walk and had to use crutches. I did Physical Therapy for a month to strengthen my muscles before surgery, it really helped with my recovery.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Marem, I am curious. What was the reasoning behind having a partial as opposed to a total? They tell me I will need a total. My medial compartment is not all that bad though. I just got an uploader brace which transfers weight to the medial and takes it off the lateral.I think it is making a big difference and I will put off the surgery as long as it does. Take care, Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
(female)

abby20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkool View Post
i dont mean this in a bad way but see u have gone through alot so how can this be bad cheer up and think good thoughts!!!!!!
When left in pain it is not good. Left unfixed it will continue to tear (rotator cuff) and as for the crumbling compression fracture that the PT popped, that will eventually land me in a wheel chair. NO it is not good. But I know one thing and it is all that keeps me going. I have a NEW BODY waiting for me that will know no pain when God tells Gabe to blow the Rapture horn.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
(female)

Marem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjean13 View Post
Marem, I am curious. What was the reasoning behind having a partial as opposed to a total? They tell me I will need a total. My medial compartment is not all that bad though. I just got an uploader brace which transfers weight to the medial and takes it off the lateral.I think it is making a big difference and I will put off the surgery as long as it does. Take care, Barb
I had a partial because the medial side was bad and not the other compartments. The arthritis had gotten bad after I had a knee arthroscopy to repair the torn meniscus on the medial, it retore 3 years later. They also don't like to do totals on a younger patient, since it will have to eventually be revised in the future. I have a uploader brace for my left knee, which works well. I would suggest that you wait as long as possible to have the replacement. Good luck on your decision.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #20
(female)

abby20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marem View Post
I had a partial because the medial side was bad and not the other compartments. The arthritis had gotten bad after I had a knee arthroscopy to repair the torn meniscus on the medial, it retore 3 years later. They also don't like to do totals on a younger patient, since it will have to eventually be revised in the future. I have a uploader brace for my left knee, which works well. I would suggest that you wait as long as possible to have the replacement. Good luck on your decision.
That is what they told my husband, so he took the PT and shots for 30 years. Braces are new to the scene. Back then it was PT, heat/cold packs and pain pills. ALL not very good at fixing what is wrong.

I guess that is just a issue with me I want things FIXED not just medicated to the point I'm a zombie unable to function. Nor do I tolerate the drug side effects well. The torn rotator cuff is to small to repair, but what is wrong with putting in a few stitches to stop it from tearing more with Lap surgery.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
(male)

dallas783 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby20 View Post
get second opinion, partial knee replacement is just as viable and less harmful, less pt, you get up and walk, right away, can drive in 3 days. Back to work with in a week. Can still kneel, where as with a full knee you cannot. You still have to wear a stocking over the knee in winter as the metal is cold and causes pain, but you would with a full knee any way. Hubby had his 3 years ago and his bowed legs are now straight, back pain a thing of the past. His was from a traffic accident 30 years ago.

Any where near memphis, tn dr lawrence schrader is the guy you want to see they come from 3 states around for his help. Other orthos don't like him, because he is willing to do the partial which cost less than the full that cost more along with months of pt to pay for.
In my case, I totally disagree. I had a partial done on Jan 22, and today is July 4. I can walk, I can do a few things but am suffering enormous pain sometimes, to the point where a revision FULL replacement has been scheduled for July 16. I am not a happy camper since I feel that it is unavoidable but unwanted. After my partial in Jan, I was up and about in a week or two but the recovery was never what was promised and I can't say that I have enjoyed the past six months.

As usual, if I knew what I know now, I would have insisted on the full from the beginning. I have heard more positive things about the full than I have heard about the partial. Since you basically have to go through the same living hell, I would suggest that you really ask the OS if the partial is the way to go. Mine was NOT minimally invasive since my incision was 5" long and I have still not recovered. Had to use the stockings, elevated commode, walker, etc. and now I have to repeat all that.

I am only hoping that everything will be different this time and I will have the classic recovery issues and not the ones I experienced from the partial.

I wish us both all the best and am looking forward to it being over with. MAybe this time, I will be able to do without pain meds and pain.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
(female)

Marem HB User

I also had a partial last October and still having problems. I know I will eventually have to go through with a revision full replacement. You don't forget the pain, it's still too new. What kind of issues are you having besides pain? I have a lot of swelling, stiffness and pain. I did 60 visits of PT, had a manipulation at 8 weeks. Two weeks ago, I had a cortisone injection, which has helped the swelling, hoping it isn't a temporary fix. I have been told that partials are not very popular and 50% fail. I am very disappointed. Hope all goes well with your surgery. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
(female)

Marem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby20 View Post
get second opinion, partial knee replacement is just as viable and less harmful, less pt, you get up and walk, right away, can drive in 3 days. Back to work with in a week. Can still kneel, where as with a full knee you cannot. You still have to wear a stocking over the knee in winter as the metal is cold and causes pain, but you would with a full knee any way. Hubby had his 3 years ago and his bowed legs are now straight, back pain a thing of the past. His was from a traffic accident 30 years ago.

Any where near memphis, tn dr lawrence schrader is the guy you want to see they come from 3 states around for his help. Other orthos don't like him, because he is willing to do the partial which cost less than the full that cost more along with months of pt to pay for.
Sorry, but I disagree about your opinion on a partial knee replacement. I had 60 visits of PT, didn't drive for 2 weeks, (right knee). I went back to work at 6 weeks part time. I work in the surgery department at the hospital and have never heard of such a quick recovery. Maybe your husband is an exception. Glad to hear that he had great success.

Reply Reply

Tags
knee replacement