It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
(female)

judynkentucky HB User
Upcoming Knee Replacement Need Support

I was told today by my ortho that the only relief I can get from the knee pain is a total replacement. Six month ago I had meniscus repair. Evidently arthritis developed when the cartilage was removed. The pain is debilitating at times and my knee hurts even with pain pills.
I am hoping to find information and support here at this forum. I never expected two surgeries in one years.

Please reply if you can relate or can offer support.

Thanks.

Judy

The following user gives a hug of support to judynkentucky:
Jkool (06-27-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
(female)

abby20 HB User
Re: Upcoming Knee Replacement Need Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by judynkentucky View Post
i was told today by my ortho that the only relief i can get from the knee pain is a total replacement. Six month ago i had meniscus repair. Evidently arthritis developed when the cartilage was removed. The pain is debilitating at times and my knee hurts even with pain pills.
I am hoping to find information and support here at this forum. I never expected two surgeries in one years.

Thanks.

Judy
get second opinion, partial knee replacement is just as viable and less harmful, less pt, you get up and walk, right away, can drive in 3 days. Back to work with in a week. Can still kneel, where as with a full knee you cannot. You still have to wear a stocking over the knee in winter as the metal is cold and causes pain, but you would with a full knee any way. Hubby had his 3 years ago and his bowed legs are now straight, back pain a thing of the past. His was from a traffic accident 30 years ago.

Any where near memphis, tn dr lawrence schrader is the guy you want to see they come from 3 states around for his help. Other orthos don't like him, because he is willing to do the partial which cost less than the full that cost more along with months of pt to pay for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
(male)

STACHE55 HB UserSTACHE55 HB User

Had bilateral 10 weeks ago- Had 30 year problem with bone on bone and sever bowed legs. Had no choice but TKR's. Partials are good if possible, although there's no guarantee that partial will work for the long haul which could result if future TKR- Don't base your decision on what people say here, go get a second opinion so when you make your decision you'll be in the right mental frame of mind. Good luck and Gods speed.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
(female)

texasmary HB User

Yes, get a second opinion if you are having doubts. Find a doctor that does thousands of surgeries, if possible. I understand your discouragement over having so many surgeries. Lately, I seem to go from one surgery to the next one (totally unrelated parts of the body). Hope you get the encouragement you need from this board. Hopefully, I will be back in a few weeks with good news of my own to encourage you and others. God bless!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

Marem HB User

I agree, you should definitely get a second opinion. I regret that I didn't. I had a partial knee replacement, medial side 8 months ago and having lots of problems. I will have to get a total in the future, arthritis in my other compartments that weren't replaced. The recovery is just as long as a total. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
(female)

abby20 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Upcoming Knee Replacement Need Support

I am sorry to hear that you had more problems. My husband's knee damage was from a car accident, and he waited 30 years to have the partial replacement. He lived on the shots for years. His legs were bowed and he had chronic hip and back pain as a result. After the partial knee, he is healthy as a 73 year old can be and doing most any thing he wants to do. His legs are no longer bowed, his back and hip no longer hurt. That is as long as he does not think he is a 35 year old again and takes on to much work load.

It was a success story for him. I know it does not work for everyone, but it is worth a second opinion to have all your options open to you.

We down sized our house and having only attic stairs to deal with, which is not on a daily basis has been a blessing for me. I am the one deemed untreatable because I have a -3.1--T DEXA score along with osteoarithrist, FMS and 2 other auto immunes. Can't even do the pills if I want a GI track. And who ever invented those dosing pens never had to try to use them with arthritis of the hands. I can barely sew a button on, and they expect me to load a tiny needle and dial a pen?

And this old saw it by passes the gut is bull feathers if it is in the blood stream it get to the gut, last time I checked your gut has blood vessels leading to it. They think we are DUMB

Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
(male)

bigdaddy12 HB User

Quote:
I was told today by my ortho that the only relief I can get from the knee pain is a total replacement. Six month ago I had meniscus repair. Evidently arthritis developed when the cartilage was removed. The pain is debilitating at times and my knee hurts even with pain pills.

Thanks.

Judy

Last edited by bigdaddy12; 06-27-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Did not send anything

Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
(female)

abby20 HB User

It does not always work either. Both my BIL and SIL have had one or both knees replaced and both live in pain all the time still, besides the draw backs that go with losing your knee cap. SIL is a retired nurse.

I have severe osteoporosis and osteoarthritis in my right hand, besides my back. And the thumb and index finger ball joints are worn out. Not one doc in the cesspit of a town will work on it, the one that did any thing gave me Celestone, injection, even though it is the very 1st drug on my reaction list, he did not read. Had to go through 2 weeks of hades in horrid side effects because of it. His sarcastic remarks, his drug does not do those side effects, well it is on line on the drug makers web site list of side effects it does cause those side effects. Said it's the only drug he uses. There is a Mederol base one that does not have the horrid side effects that could have been used. Another one I FIRED for not being a qualified doctor.

Don't ask me to painfully fill out your stupid forms if you are not going to READ THEM! I have taken to doing computer print outs for their forms, less paper work for me to fill out and hurt my hands over.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
(male)

bigdaddy12 HB User
Smile Re: Upcoming Knee Replacement Need Support

Get a 2nd opinion and go from there. Surgeon is the key to successful replacement. Make sure the hospital is clean, infection is a major concern. I am 6 weeks post TKR {Total Knee Replacement}. Sounds like you need the replacement. XRAY can verify, if it is bone against bone then you need to have the surgery. There are injection you can try if you have not. Syn-vis is one of them that might give you some relief. it helped me some. My pain was not that bad but I was bone against bone and 59 years old. Did not want to wait until I was 70 even though 70 years old do fine. My Surgery was done in the Houston area. I went to 3 different surgeons and all recommended doing the same thing. I choose the surgeon that was the closest to my house after checking his credentials. The surgery went well. Spent 2 night in the Hospital as planned. I personally had problems with pain medication. it did not work and kept me awake. Started Physical Therapy the same day. This is a must and has to be done. Get help from loved ones for the 1st week or 2. 6 weeks after the surgery I am doing fine, still have some pain but it is getting less and less each day. Already have Doctor release so getting ready to go back to work in a few weeks.

The following user gives a hug of support to bigdaddy12:
gmak (07-08-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
(female)

Jkool HB UserJkool HB UserJkool HB User

Quote:

Thanks.

Judy
I dont know how old u are but im only fourteen and i have had a few surgeries in my life One: tonsils taken out Two: surgery for fractured wrist Three: recently to get a mole removed and out of all of those none were bad so i know you may think it is scary HECK i was scared to get a little mole removed but i promise you every thing will be fine you are having a professional do this not so person off the block randomly so THEY KNOW what they are doing!

Hope You Get Well Soon,

Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #11
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Hi Judy and others, I had the similar thing happen to me. In 2012, I had meniscus repair in January. Still had problems and had another one in September. I regret having them done as they seemed to be the beginning of the problems with my knee. Now I have alot of clicking. I don't have pain when I am not moving. I cannot fully extend the knee though and it is causing hip/back problems. Went on a trip to Europe in April. Had a fifth floor walkup in Paris. What a mistake!! Practically needed a wheelchair at the airport coming home. My biggest problem is when I get up from sitting or sleeping, it takes a little bit for the knee to warm up. It feels like it will give out. I have been told to do TKR now, but I am waiting at least till the winter. I just got a brace called an uploader brace which puts the weight on the strong side of the knee. It seems to be helping. Luckily my insurance covered it because the cost was about $1200. I have another trip in October to Italy and I am hoping it will help with the walking. Like everyone says, get another opinion and check the infection rates. To me, the risk of infection is the scariest part of the whole ordeal. Good luck!! Barb

Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
(female)

hope the best for ya

Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
(female)

abby20 HB User
Exclamation Re: Upcoming Knee Replacement Need Support

Well at 65 I have you beat surgery wise:
C sedction 1972, 1982
Lap to remove endometrosis, cyst 1997
Hystrectomy 1998 (complete) Woke up puking acid due to estrogen patch
Catract surgery 2000, film had to be remove3d
Droopy Eye lid surgery 2010
Injection into right torn rotator cuff 2010 (still un repaired)
2nd injection worked better, 3rd did not work. These last 2 done in past 3 months.
2 Cervical Nerve blocks 2011 (1 worked, 1 failed) Mederol based
2 Lumbar Nerve blocks and tail bone injectdion, mederol based (BOTH FAILED)
Colon screen 2011
Upper GI 2012 Barrets Esopgus disease
Catract surgery 1-19-2011 film had to be removed
Blader dialation 2012
Inner/middle ear perfusiion Jan 16-17-18 FAILED
Tummy tuck 5-16-2012 to eliminate bulge pain and chronic fungal infections. TT's are not for the faint of heart or for weight loss. 2.5 in bulge I at 117 could put my fingers up to the knuckles under, bad sew up Hist job created a stretch mark pocket that got constant yeast infections that became drug resistant and I was ending up in the ER once a month to get the nearly bleeding infection stopped.

Last edited by abby20; 06-27-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
(female)

Talking Re: Upcoming Knee Replacement Need Support

i dont mean this in a bad way but see u have gone through alot so how can this be bad cheer up and think good thoughts!!!!!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Jkool
barbjean13 (07-01-2013), gmak (07-08-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jkool For This Useful Post:
gmak (07-08-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
(female)

Marem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjean13 View Post
Hi Judy and others, I had the similar thing happen to me. In 2012, I had meniscus repair in January. Still had problems and had another one in September. I regret having them done as they seemed to be the beginning of the problems with my knee. Now I have alot of clicking. I don't have pain when I am not moving. I cannot fully extend the knee though and it is causing hip/back problems. Went on a trip to Europe in April. Had a fifth floor walkup in Paris. What a mistake!! Practically needed a wheelchair at the airport coming home. My biggest problem is when I get up from sitting or sleeping, it takes a little bit for the knee to warm up. It feels like it will give out. I have been told to do TKR now, but I am waiting at least till the winter. I just got a brace called an uploader brace which puts the weight on the strong side of the knee. It seems to be helping. Luckily my insurance covered it because the cost was about $1200. I have another trip in October to Italy and I am hoping it will help with the walking. Like everyone says, get another opinion and check the infection rates. To me, the risk of infection is the scariest part of the whole ordeal. Good luck!! Barb

Reply Reply

Tags
knee replacement