It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
(female)

Jo99 HB User
Talking Severe lower back and hip pain

Good morning ~ I have had a hip replacement (7 years ago) and have been experiencing pain ever since. My ortho Dr told me 2 months post surgery that it was back pain radiating to the hip. As of late I am having lower back pain and severe pain in the hip. No leg pain, as in sciatica.. I am so worried that the hip needs replacement again, which I hear is a hard surgery and recovery. Anyone experience anything similar? Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thank you

Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
(female)

PhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB User
Re: Severe lower back and hip pain

I am six months out from right hip revision surgery, which entailed a full replacement. My initial surgery was two years ago. I found the post surgery period easier this time around, perhaps because I knew what to expect in terms of both pain and mobility. A different (and better) surgeon and hospital also helped, as well as extensive PT. The real difference was greater pain along the incision area, something you should expect, and a longer time to achieve complete mobility without some pain. All in all, it was not nearly as bad as I anticipated.

The Following User Says Thank You to PhilliesFan20 For This Useful Post:
Jo99 (07-11-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

Jo99 HB User

Thanks for the reply, do you mind me asking the reason why you had to have a hip revision? I had an MRI yesterday on the lumbar back to see if the back is the cause of the hip pain. If not I will be going back to the ortho Dr. for an ex ray of the hip. I appreciate your input on hip revision, it doesn't sound as bad as I feared it would be.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
(female)

PhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB User

I remained in pain after my initial surgery; pain that significantly increased over the next two years. By the time of my second surgery, the hip was seriously out of alignment. In addition, the rod in my thigh was the wrong size and the parts of metal-on-metal implant (not one of the recalled brands) began to grind together creating minute metal shards that caused an infection and allergic reaction. A trifecta of problems.

Just my opinion, but should you have a second surgery I strongly recommend against a metal-on-metal model. While not all brands have been tainted by recall, early this year, the FDA issued a safety bulletin for regarding all such devices:

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/ucm335775.htm

Modern ceramic and plastic implants are proving to have more or less the same longevity as the formerly traditional metal-on-metal models.

This is sort of obvious, but I also recommend carefully researching your surgeon, finding the best you can afford. While my first doctor had a very good local reputation, I traveled to another, larger city for the second operation by surgeon with a national reputation for excellence. (Just FYI, I was lucky as my family lived in this large urban area and I was able to recuperate at their home.)

If you are not getting a clear answer as to what is causing your new problem, do get a second opinion! I'm not sure where you live, but if near a large city, you may want to investigate doctors there.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
back and hip pain, hip and butt pain