It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

Chereb HB User
Total knee replacement can't lift leg

Hi I'm new here. A brief history is I have osteoarthritis in both knees. The right knee being the worst. I am 42 and had an osteotomy a few years back followed by an osteotomy revision less than a year after. Fast forward 4 years and I am 6 days post op from TKR. I had computer led surgery and have extra holes were they drilled in the equipment. When does the pain start to ease? Also doing the physio I was sent home with I am struggling. So very painful. I cannot do a straight leg lift. Have managed it twice on,y. Any advice appreciated please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
(male)

endlessquest HB User
Re: Total knee replacement can't lift leg

Hello Chereb, I am 11 weeks out from a TKR. For the first 10 days or so I couldn't lift my leg either. I went to rehab for 10 days after 5 days in the hospital. The nurse had to lift my leg for me every time I had to get up or get dressed. Finally around day 10 I was able to swing my leg to get out of bed on my own. Don't worry, it will come. It's such a slow process and I too got frustrated on how slow I was progressing. As they say, everyone is different and progress at different rates. As far as the pain went, maybe I was lucky. I had no pain what so ever in my knee post surgery. However, my tendons and ligaments and other soft tissue around my knee hurt and was painful when I moved my knee. I was on oxycodone 24/7 while in the hospital and rehab and for my first two weeks at home. So that took care of the pain. I cut down to only taking oxycodone only for P/T and some nights to sleep. All I can say that it does get better and you'll have small milestones every couple of days or so. Stick to P/T, do the exercises on your off days and ice the knee down a much as possible. Good luck and keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to endlessquest For This Useful Post:
Chereb (11-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

Chereb HB User

Thank you endlessquest. I have not been set up with any physiotherapy post op. Came home post op day 3. Was given 4 exercises. Leg lift with rolled up towel, heel slides, foot flexes and straight leg lift. I am in UK and surprised at the no physio as I had loads after my osteotomies. It's worrying me. To be honest a lot of the pain is where they put the robots in. Still getting wound leakage every time it bend the knee. My stitches and clips come out on Monday. Pretty much feel put out to pasture and searching the net for rehab moves lol. I am unsure how much to ice and for how long? I'm doing 20mins icing after each exercise as given.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User

Since I just had my knee done Sept. 3, I know how scary it was to not be able to lift your leg. I could finally lift mine straight up about 2 weeks post surgery.
Until then, the sling they gave me at the hospital helped me to get in and out of bed.

It sounds like you weren't given much in the way of exercises. I would think you should do each of those 3 times a day, if that's all you were given. I'd also ask the surgeon's office for more variety, as I have over 2 typed sheets of exercises I've been given from therapists. I spend a good 90 minutes a day or more on exercises, plus time on my exercise bike and just walking. I still have trouble walking "normally", though.

As for icing, you don't want to ice more than 15-20 minutes at a time, and should have at least an hour between sessions. I don't think it really matters how much you ice if you follow those guidelines. I'd err on the side of comfort. Good luck!

Last edited by Nanner; 11-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nanner For This Useful Post:
Chereb (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
(female)

Chereb HB User

Thanks all for the advice. I think i was complacent going into the TKR. My thought was i handled 2 osteotomies and walking on a broken femur for 6 months so the TKR cant be as bad. I was so wrong!! Had my clips and stitches out on Monday and still having some bleeding, not loads but i cant afford blood loss as my count was 8.8 on discharge. I am supposed to take dressings off tomorrow and allow air to get at it. I am doing the little excercises i have at varying periods through the day and can finally straight lift but not hold it for long. Its a start though! The pain seemed to improve slightly over the weekend then on Monday i had to walk my 9 year old to school (5min walk) Took me over 20 mins lol. Then the pain levels increased again so much that i have not slept for nights with it. I am using crutches at the moment. Also did any of you get like a burning pain when you stand up in the bottom of your leg? I get this and its quite painful until it subsides in a minute or two.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ms2175 HB User
Smile Re: Total knee replacement can't lift leg

Hey Cherub,
Great job on the SLR... Osteotomies are tough but so are total knees and for you ..it is the third major one for your little ol knee. Definitely try to avoid the walking as you described unless you can really take something off the leg.. at least for a little while. Keep up the good work!

Reply Reply