It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #1

tris HB User
Dry eyes after lasik forever???

Hi,
I had lasik done 4 months agao. I had uncomfortable feeling wearing contact lens. I didn't know that is because of dry eyes.

One months after lasik, I flew and then.. my eyes got red and burned like hell.

I had very severe dry eyes. Seen 10 doctors so far. Try almost everything. Plugs, tons of drops, gel, ointment, antibiotic eye drop, cannot make me feel better at all. Just start doxycycline for a week. Will see what happen?

I don't know when this dry eyes problem will go away. Will it finally go away? Please share yr experiences.

Tris

Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

Jody63 HB User
Re: Dry eyes after lasik forever???

I had LASIK less than one week ago. During my pre-op appointment, I was told my eyes tend to be slightly dry. The doctor recommended taking flaxseed oil. One in the morning and one in the evening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
(female)

dbhubbs HB User

Hi, I had Lasik last Thanksgiving 2003, yes, 1 year ago. I still have dry eye. I don't regret doing the Lasik though. I used drops over the past year, kept them by my bedside because during the night I'd awake to eyes so dry I could HEAR them open. I should have went back to the doctor, but didn't. I went recently for my 1 year checkup and he said they are very dry. I don't have enough "oil" in my tears, my eye is drying up in between blinks. He prescribed Restasis. They are drops that you put twice a day. They are prescription only. My insurance paid for them, but I think they are pretty expensive. I've used them for about 5 weeks now, along with taking flaxseed oil and I am better. I'm hoping to be able to wean myself off of the drops at some point, I hope it's not a life-long thing that I'll have to be taking these eye drops. But, you know what? It's STILL a heck of a lot better than wearing contacts. I'm happy. Good luck to you.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
(female)

madera74 HB User

Hi there. I had Lasik 4/2000 and had dry eyes intermittently for a couple of years following. They weren't as severely dry as yours seem to be, but I did regularly need to use some of the thicker drops and then the ointment at bedtime. The dryness has subsided and I actually haven't used any drops at all in the past year to year and a half. So no, I don't think you are necessarily doomed to a lifetime of dry eyes.. good luck!

Old 12-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
(male)

fenwayphil HB User

Is your vision blurry do to your dry eyes(night glare and so on) or did that eventually subside?

Old 12-09-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
(female)

dbhubbs HB User

Yes, I had a decrease in my vision sharpness, I thought my eyes were reverting back to what they were before but the doctor said I still had 20/15 vision and that the dryness was what was causing the fuzziness. Now that my eyes are well lubricated again I have awesome vision. I'm glad that the Restasis helped me. I also LOVE Allergan's "Refresh Liquigel" lubricant eye drops. The doctor gave it to me (you can buy it at the grocery store) to use for the few weeks it took for the Restasis to kick in. Now I don't use it anymore, but it was a lifesaver to me before the Restasis started working.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #7

tris HB User

My eyes are so dry that I have a unfortable feeling all day. It is a weird feeling. My eyes are very sticky. Nothing can help me feel better at all. My eyelids rub my eyes so that I feel pain in my eyes. I wake up with red eyes every day.
I have a headache because of the irritation too.
Recently, I start having starbust at night (six months after lasik)

Old 01-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
(female)

Linda1164 HB User

I used the artificial tears for a couple of months... eventually I got to the point where I wasn't needing them any more; it was gradual. It has been a year and a half and I dont have a problem with dry eyes now at all...

Old 02-28-2005, 08:10 AM   #9
(female)

alii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tris
Hi,
I had lasik done 4 months agao. I had uncomfortable feeling wearing contact lens. I didn't know that is because of dry eyes.

One months after lasik, I flew and then.. my eyes got red and burned like hell.

I had very severe dry eyes. Seen 10 doctors so far. Try almost everything. Plugs, tons of drops, gel, ointment, antibiotic eye drop, cannot make me feel better at all. Just start doxycycline for a week. Will see what happen?

I don't know when this dry eyes problem will go away. Will it finally go away? Please share yr experiences.

Tris

Old 02-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
(female)

alii HB User

I had lasek surgery a couple of years ago and suffered identical problems to tris. My eyes were gritty, dry, light sensitive. I had months of misery and antidepressants. I realise now that I had dry eyes before to operation as I couldnt wear contacts for long, didnt like car heaters etc. The eye clinic after care was rubbish the surgeon avoided me. Eventually took myself to the eye ward at the local hospital(fortunately I work there) The doctor looked under my eyelids (which no one had done before) she could see inflammation. I had two weeks of oral antibiotics and 1 week of steriod eye drops which finally seemed to be the turning point for me. It took about a year. I still have dry eyes and assume I always will, I get what I call little water blisters on my inner eyelid rims when I am tierd or in dry atmospheres and I think having dry eyes makes me feel more tierd. I have to be careful not to rub them too hard when I wake up in the mornings as there is little lubrication. I dont suffer with any horrible gritty discomfort anymore.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #11
(female)

peggyh HB User

Tris,
Your situation sounds like mine I flew three weeks after surgery and I have been in pain ever since. When on meds to cope and then got off them because of the drying effect. Wanted to know if things have gotten better for you. I have no life at this point I ama part time teacher Thank God cause I barely m,ake it through 3 classes. I also wanted to know if anyone has gone on pain meds for the pain and what kind because of the meds all effecting your eyes. Peggy

Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Hi, I was reading this post and I have a similar feeling to some of you in my right eye.

Last edited by azebo; 08-23-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #13
(male)

riddick HB User

I'm one month post-Lasik and am also having severe dryness. I, like many others, could have had slight dry eye prior to surgery. I hated wearing contacts...by the end of the day my eyes were so tired and dry. This dryness that I'm experiencing now is multiple times greater than the dryness that I experienced with contacts.

Most articles concerning post-Lasik dryness seem to indicate that the majority of cases are cleared up within 6 months to a year. However, I have not found any articles concerning permanent dryness.

The drops just don't seem to do the trick. However, I was given a pair of goggles (moister chamber goggles) after the surgery and I found that whenever I wear them, I don't have any issues. Get yourself a pair if the drops aren't working. It really isn't practical to wear goggles everywhere, but wear them when you can and you'll definitely notice a difference. I'm curious to hear any updates on those that haven't written for some time.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

I went to the dr. today for a check-up. I'm about 5 weeks out of Lasik. My doctor said to expect for my eyes to SLOWLY improve over the next 3 or so months.

Last edited by azebo; 08-23-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #15
(female)

PennyLane8 HB User

Where do you get these moisture goggles?

Closed Thread