It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
(male)

kingreyna HB User
Astigmatism: how bad can it be

Hi. I am planing on getting intralasik done in a couple of months but I am worried how bad is too bad with astigmatism and if they can get it done.
I haven't gotten any new glasses and contacts for the past year because I had lasik on my mind and it'll cost me $500 for both glasses and contacts.

I have very bad eyesight. I read anything at an armslenght. Yeah,its that bad.

Im I a possible candidate for intralasik.

Also, does anyone how someone gets eyesight this bad. I mean I played videogames when I was little a lot but not most than any of my friends and they didnt get eyes this bad. I was also told that it was because I played a lot of games but I never understood why just me.

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB Usercookiepls HB User
Re: Astigmatism: how bad can it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingreyna
Hi. I am planing on getting intralasik done in a couple of months but I am worried how bad is too bad with astigmatism and if they can get it done.
I haven't gotten any new glasses and contacts for the past year because I had lasik on my mind and it'll cost me $500 for both glasses and contacts.

I have very bad eyesight. I read anything at an armslenght. Yeah,its that bad.

Im I a possible candidate for intralasik.

Also, does anyone how someone gets eyesight this bad. I mean I played videogames when I was little a lot but not most than any of my friends and they didnt get eyes this bad. I was also told that it was because I played a lot of games but I never understood why just me.

Thanks.
Playing video games or even sitting too close to the television can cause a little eyestrain or headache but does not damage eyesight.
Usually, poor vision is hereditary but can also be caused by disease. When you go for your consultation, they will determine if your eyes can be helped by the intralasik. Advancements have been made in these procedures to the point that almost any vision can be corrected. Your amount of astigmatism should not be a problem.
If I could afford it, I would love to have it done. I'm so sick of glasses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

kingreyna, I actually have a pretty high astigmatism. In fact, since my eyesight is 20/50 in my right eye and 20/40 in my left, astigmatism is actually my biggest problem. I don't know about my left eye but, I think my doctor said I am 3.1 astigmatism in my right eye. I just found out that I am a candidate and am scheduled for my surgery this coming Wednesday. I don't know anything about intralasik. I am having LadarVsion Lasik. I don't know if that is the same thing. I have read and learned alot on the internet and from what my doctor explained to me. If I were you, I would just go to a Lasik skilled doctor and have him help you find out if you are a candidate. As far as the sitting too close to a TV or playing video games goes. I really don't think that that is a factor in your poor vision. People do more reading than video games all through life and if that doesn't harm your vision, I can't imagine much would. Like cookiepls said, it is a hereditary thing. Go to a doctor. Someone with thousand of procedures under their belt who costs a good amount of money per eye. Check the LasikPlus website. They may have a doctor in your area. They are probably the best known, most experienced, and well-regulated doctors of Lasik. I may be biased because they are who I am going to but, everyone that I have spoken with, from Ohio, California and in my home state of Georgia has heard of them.
Good luck!

Last edited by Hating glasses; 01-15-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
(male)

kingreyna HB User

Thanks for the info. Well actually I can see about 2 feet after an armlenght. Also I am planning on going on seeing two doctors here in dallas that are very popular, even done most of the dallas cowboys vision and both have more than 45,000 procedures.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:51 AM   #5
(male)

myoptic33 HB User

How high is your Astigmatism and do you have any myopia? Whats your vision uncorrected and corrected? I hear you can be up to -3 Astigmatism to qualify

Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
(female)

fionac HB User

I had lasik on Friday afternoon (Sydney, Australia). My astigmatism was -4 in each eye. Still a bit blurry on the computer and font size under 12 but moments of crystal clear vision. My doc said up to 2 weeks for the eyes to settle and the flaps heal. They use VISK seems v. fast, minimal dry eye, no swelling etc.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #7

muchacha HB User

Ok I was recently told that I am a candidate for Lasik with my 3 point astigmatism. As much as i want this done soo badly I am still skeptical. This wasnt my normal doctor.. it was my first time visit.. he ran the tests.. asked the opinions of his surgeon colleagues and apparently im a candidate. the dr was soo nice and helpful and willing to answer my questions.. he was an optometrist specialized in lasik, but does it matter that he wasnt an opthamamologist?
Im a 22 yr old female
never able to wear contacts
have a bad astigmatism
did anyone get many opinions from differnet doctors? i guess i have been disappointed for so long with not being able to get contacts ever, and i just really want this done but at the same time find it hard to believe. im going to make an appt with the surgeon himself too..
id appreciate any thoughts or comments sorry for so many rambling questions!

Closed Thread