It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #16
(female)

Khumbu77 HB User
Re: Corneal Refractive Therapy (CRT) Lenses

I was just wondering if anyone had any updates about their CRT experience.
Jillybeans, how is the ghosting problem coming? Has your eye gotten any better?
Lindamarie, did you get your lenses yet? How are they working?
I just heard about this CRT thing, and I am seriously considering doing it instead of LASIK. I just can't justify doing something as drastic as surgery if CRT lenses at night are all that's needed to be contact lens free throughout the day.
Please update!!! I'm really excited about trying this!!!

Old 04-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #17
(female)

Jillybeans HB User

Hi Khumbu,
Unfortunately the ghosting thing isn't improving. I have a follow up on next Tuesday. But this Friday, I am going to another CRT doc for a second opinion. Maybe this one will have had more patients and can tell me if what I am experiencing is normal or not. It's good that the days are getting longer, because I was having serious issues driving home from work when it was still getting dark early. At least the headaches have stopped.
My left eye is great, if they can fix the right one I'll be satisfied. If not, I'm going to throw in the towel.
Incidently, I just came back from a week in Mexico and it was awesome being able to swim, snorkel, and SEE all at the same time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #18
(male)

rcwatkin HB User
Smile Re: Corneal Refractive Therapy (CRT) Lenses

I've been wearing the lenses for about 14 months now. My vision was around -3.25 in both eyes beforehand & was 20/20 the next day. The duration of the good vision is another issue. It took a couple of nights before I made it the entire day with good vision (less than a week). I now skip around 2 sometimes 3 nights (non consecutive) a week and can make the entire 2nd day with perfoect vision. However, I'm told that individual results will vary.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #19
(female)

Jillybeans HB User

Hi there, I had my secret second opinion today and boy am I GLAD that I did it. I was very impressed with his credentials, and he has 10 times more patients, but besides that, he knew what my problem was right away! In fact he had just had a patient that morning with the same complaint. He takes digital photos during the exam and then shows them to you to describe what's going on. So he showed me the earlier patient's photos to show me what happens and how he was correcting it. The contacts come in a variety of shapes to properly flatten the cornea. He suspects that my lens shifts too close to the pupil during sleep, causing an edge to form there, which causes the double vision. This can be corrected by having a proper fitting. And here was my doctor telling me, well if it doesn't fix itself, we'll get you glasses. HUH?? Also, like rcwatkin says, the vision should last a while, not fade by dinnertime. My doctor implied I was imagining it. So as you can guess, I am switching doctors. The bad news is I have to start from scratch. So I am going to stop wearing them today, give them back to my former doctor, hopefully get some kind of refund, then go to the new guy in two weeks. I told the new doc my plan and he got us started right away by taking a topography of my eyes - to compare later after being corrected with his fitting. The topography photos were very interesting, also he took photos of my eyes to show me how I was misdiagnosed in the past with retinitis. I asked him how long this other patient had been using them before they found the problem - one week! One last bonus, he said he would work something out monetarily with me as an incentive to switch to his practice.
So, I went from being frustrated and disgusted to being really optimistic again. Having some confidence makes it worth anticipating the do-over pains.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #20
(female)

lindamarie60441 HB User

Hi khumbu77,
My doctor had to re-order a few times to get the fit right. I just went yesterday and they fit right. For now though I've decided to try gas permeables again and if they go well will reconsider CRT in about a year. My circumstances are that I would be wearing them during the day, not at night so I would need to be comfortable in gas perms while awake.

Last edited by lindamarie60441; 04-23-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #21
(female)

Jillybeans HB User

I'm curious as to why the CRT lenses would be worn during the day instead of at night. Why not wear regular contacts in that case? Is there some other advantage or because you may only have to wear them every three days or so? Jill

Old 04-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #22
(female)

lindamarie60441 HB User

Jill,
They don't have to be worn during the day. They can be worn at night. I feel the risk of eye problems goes up when sleeping with contacts so my personal preference is to wear them during the day. But yes they are designed for night-time wear.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:34 PM   #23
(female)

Jillybeans HB User

Thank you, I did not see anything in the literature about daytime use. I found them uncomfortable and do not like wearing them while awake. But, I was already used to the 1-week wear lenses so it was not that hard a transition for me. I can totally understand your being uneasy with it, though.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #24
(female)

Jillybeans HB User

I'm spitting mad. I went back to the incompetent dr today and was told that the partial cost refund was only valid for within one week when I first came in. Even though after two months he had still not fit me properly! He told me I still have one year to come back and "try them again." I'm so angry I can't even think straight.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:23 AM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Jillybeans,
Sounds to me like your incompetent doctor needs to get a malpractice suit under his belt to make him less cocky and less prone to mistakes.
I guess the only thing I can suggest is that you can be glad that you found a doctor that can help you and is offering a price break to leave Dr. Incompetence. Look forward to that and every time you feel like spitting about the bad doctor, just think about the new doc.
I hope this helped and congrats and good luck on your new doctor!

Old 08-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #26
(male)

mikeyg1106 HB User

Does anyone have any more information on CRT? I tried them this year, 2006, starting in January and just couldn't get them to work properly after a number of months. I would start out with improving vision on a new lens, but the longer I had it my vision would get worse, (going backwards). Also some days were better than others but my night vision was usually not good at all with ghosting and blooming from lights. My doctor wanted to have me take a break and bring the CRT rep in to help with my situation. Mine cost $1400.00, but she will give me a complete refund if they don't work out...

Mike

Closed Thread