It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

shopgrrl HB User
Question Makeup removal

Tomorrow will be the first day I'm going to try wearing makeup since I had LASIK done a week ago. Any tips as to what not to use on the eyelid? Is curling eyelashes OK? What do you use to remove the eye makeup without rubbing your lid? Also, I've been pretty paranoid about touching my eyes but I have white residue left on my lashes from the Pred Forte any advice as to how to get that off?

Thanks,

Kelly

Old 05-06-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Makeup removal

Hey shopgrrl,
Congrats on your new eyes! My doctor told me to clean the area around my eyes (eyelids and all) with Saline. Not Saline Solution like people use to clean their contacts but, pure Saline. Some grocery stores have it but I had to go to my local hospital's pharmacy and buy a bottle from them. If you can't find it in the grocery store, check out your hospital's pharmacy. Ask first for a bottle of Saline...again, not saline solution. The word solution should not be on the bottle. In fact, I think it is non-preserved Saline (just salt and water). If they are confused, tell them it is the same stuff that doctors use to flush out wounds. That should tell them everything they need to know to get you the right stuff. Anyway, take a cotton ball and put some of the saline on the ball and very gentally rub all over your eyes. It doesn't remove the make up easily but, it does work. Just make sure not to get it into your eyes as I was told it would burn like the devil. And, don't worry, as long as you keep your eyes shut, you shouldn't have any problem keeping it out of them. That is the most gentle and clean stuff to use. I was told to use it for a month post-op. Then after that, just use whatever you used to use.
About the makeup, if you are experiencing any itchy or dryness and are using a powder based eyeshadow, go out and see if you can find a cream eyeshadow because it won't dust into your eyes which can irritate them while they are healing.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

shopgrrl HB User

Using the saline with a cotton ball won't rub your eyes or are you saying to blot gently. Sorry for being dense I'm just very paranoid about eye trauma right now.

Thanks for the help!
Kelly

Old 05-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

You're not being dense. Trust me! You are not the first person post op to worry about eye trauma and rubbing. I poked my eye 2 days post op with the tip of my eye dropper. It hurt but, I didn't damage it at all. I went to my doc to make sure it was ok. He messed with me by doing that tsk tsk sound and saying, "So young. Such a shame." He was joking. He said most patients come back at one point or another shortly after their surgery thinking they have done something to damage their eye.

Anyway, now that I have bored you, my point was, never worry about being dense on this board. Our eyes are so important and you can never be too careful. To answer your question, just very gentley rub over your eye lids and around the eye. You will kind of be able to tell if you are being to rough. Your eye has had a week to heal so, it is tougher than you think. That being said, don't put alot of pressure on the cotton ball. Basically, when you can feel the cotton ball, you have applied enough pressure. Does that make any sense? Don't press...just kind of glide it over your eyelid. I think at that time in the healing, if you put too much pressure on your eye, you will have a kind of grainy feeling. You shouldn't experience any discomfort while using the cotton ball. I hope I am explaining this well. It is hard to do without being able to demonstrate. You will know if you have put too much pressure on it.
Gentle is the key.
Let me know if you have any more questions. At 3 and a half months post op, I feel like a crusty veteran now! Hehehe!

Old 05-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
(male)

kev225 HB User

I havn't put on ANY makeup since my lasik. I'm kinda liking the clean, natural look!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
(female)

terblue22 HB User
Smile Re: Makeup removal

Hello and congratulations.......I waited over a month before putting on eye makeup. I was rather paranoid about doing it because I worried about rubbing my eyes too much when taking off the makeup. Since I started wearing eye makeup again I bought Estee Lauder's Gentle Eye Makeup Remover. I put some on a cotton ball and gently clean my lids and under my eyes with this. It seems to work well and doesn't burn. I'm sure there are many good eye makeup removers out there but I happened to try this since I like the Estee Lauder mascara. You can ask at the cosmetic counters at department stores as I'm sure many of the other companies make comparable products. I would look for something that is fragrance free, etc.

Closed Thread