It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

jmurph HB User
Birth Control Pill Effects on Lasik Healing?

Hi, I recently had a consultation for lasik and I'm on birth control pills. The day before my consultation, I got a new perscription for a different brand of birth control but my eye dr. said not to switch close to the surgery because it could affect the healing process of my eyes. I heard that your eyes change shape when on birth control because of the fluid changes in the eyes from the hormones. Now would my eyes change shape that much just by changing brands or is he just covering himself by telling me every rare risk that could happen? I really need to change my bc perscription but I really want lasik as soon as possible too. Has anyone stopped, started, or switched brands of birth control close to the time of their surgery and had anything bad happen with their healing - like not seeing the best that they could be seeing or something worse? I'm supposed to switch BControl brands a week after my scheduled surgery, should I wait to have the surgery until I've been on my new pill for a while or should I just go through with it and hope for the best after I switch? Please help...I'm so nervous about this. Please tell me your experiences with this issue.Thanks so much!

Old 07-22-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User
Re: Birth Control Pill Effects on Lasik Healing?

Hi, After reading your question yesterday I got concerned because I switched my brand of birth control pills about 3 weeks before my surgery. I called my doctor and asked him if this would cause any complications with my healing. He said not to worry about it, that he had never seen any complications occur based on changing or stopping birth control pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

jmurph HB User
Re: Birth Control Pill Effects on Lasik Healing?

So if your doctor said not to worry about you switching than it is probably nothing. There might be an extremely tiny chance that something could happen if the fluid in your eyes change drastically, but it is probably extremely rare for this to happen just from switching brands. I don't know, I'll see what others say and make a decision in the next week or so. I'm going to another consultation on monday with a different doctor so I'll see what he says too. Thanks so much for your reply, it kinda eased my anxiety a little when I heard that your doctor said he'd never seen any complications with that. I'll let you know what the other doctor says on monday. Thanks again!

Closed Thread