It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
(male)

ironpants HB User
Angry it feels like i have an eyelash in my eye

I had lasik two days ago. While my left eye feels great, I have the sensation that I have something in my right eye, like an eyelash or a grain of sand. Vision is fine in both eyes - 20/20 and 20/15. However, this concerns me greatly. Could this be a dry eye problem? Anyone else experience this? What can I do?

- Keith

Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: it feels like i have an eyelash in my eye

Keith,
The feeling like there is an eyelash in you eye right after surgery is normal. I think I had that feeling for about 2 weeks in my left eye and now and then in my right. Make sure you keep them lubricated and that feeling will start to heal faster. The more moisture you have in your eyes, the quicker they heal. But, just to be safe, when you have your next follow-up appointment, mention the eye lashy feeling to your doc and have him do a thorough look at your flap and inside your eye to make sure you don't have an ablasion (I think that is what it is called). I wouldn't worry just yet. Most, if not almost all, of the post-opers have that feeling. I did.
Congrats on your new eyes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
(male)

ironpants HB User

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Considering you have experience with this sensation of having something in your eye, what do you recommend I do, aside from obviously visiting my doctor again? Did you use any gels? Did you take flaxseed oil? Or did this sensation go away on its own for you? Needless to say, this is driving me bonkers.

- Keith

Old 09-15-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Keith,
I just used alot of lubricant. You might try the gels. Don't fuss at it or think you need to tug at your eyelashes. I did that and it made things worse and prolonged that feeling for me. I don't know if it will work but, for the pain, you might want to try some asprin or advil or something. I never thought to try that myself but, you might give it a shot and see if it helps. It can't hurt to start taking flax seed oil. It has alot of benefits that you would never think of. Unless you are allergic to flax seed oil (not likely I don't think), there is no reason you shouldn't take it and, it could only help a number or things even if it does no good for your eyes.
The sensation of the eyelashy thing did go away but, there is something my eye doc warned me against when I went to see him recently. I think he called it an ablasion in the cornea. I don't have it but, that feeling may be a symptom so, just ask your doc to make sure you don't have that when you visit him next. It is easy to fix. They just give you an anti-inflammatory and I think an anti-biotic (which you should already have right now) and that takes care of that issue. Right now, since you are so brand new post-op and are still probably using an anit-in- and an anti-biotic, you probably have nothing to worry about. If more than a month later, after that feeling has gone away, you start feeling it again, that may need to be checked out.

One thing to remember with the eye drops/lubricants/gels is to make sure that they are non-preserved or preservative free. It will say so on the packaging.

Take care and keep in touch.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
(male)

ironpants HB User

Today I did notice that the eye that feels like it has a foreign body in it has a red splotch. This red splotch is in the area where I am feeling the discomfort. Anyone else notice these red splotches on their eyes after surgery? I'm assuming it's just a consequence of the surgery and will go away eventually, however, I'm wondering (and hoping) that this splotch is causing the discomfort.

- Keith

Old 09-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
(male)

riddick HB User

Keith, I also had the hemorrage in my eye after my surgery. I was a little freaked out because mine lasted a little over three weeks. Be patient...it will heal. It's usually caused by the suction used when the flap is cut. As far as the foreign body sensation goes, it is quite common. I only noticed it when my eyes got extremely dry. It feels so much like there is an eyelash or sand in your eye that it's hard to believe that it's merely a dry spot. I spent almost an hour one day trying to find out what was in my eye...despite other posts saying that it's related to dry eye.

The only time that I really experienced this issue was after waking up in the morning. I suspect that I was sleeping with my eyes partially open, because it would only happen when I slept without my moisture goggles. Lubricate, lubricate, lubricate....just keep putting the stuff in your eyes...the foreign sensation will go away, but it may take an hour or so. If you put in plenty of lubrication and the feeling still doesn't go away, then I would have it checked out.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
(female)

ZIPADEEDOODAH HB User

Hi,

I had lasik a little over a week ago and I still have the red splotches in both eyes. It is in the white part of my eye, basically underneath my eyelids. The surgeon told me that it is from the increase in pressure in the eye before he made the corneal flap. From what I understood, the increased pressure is to make your cornea harder so that it is easier to cut, but because there is this "vacuum" effect, some of the vessels in the eye break. He referred to it as "bruiising" I think. It's a lot better now....fading a little each day.

Good luck to you -- everyone on this board is incredibly supportive. They definitely helped me.

Best,
Z

Old 09-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
(male)

ironpants HB User

Riddick,

Thanks for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Can you tell me where you found these "moisture goggles"? I think I'd like to get a pair.

Again, thanks.

- Keith

Old 09-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
(male)

riddick HB User

Keith, sorry for the later reply. do a google search for eyeshieldtechnology. The moisture goggles are called duo-shades. They are cheap and do wonders. I would have been lost without them.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2005, 07:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Riddick,
How are your eyes doing? Has the dryness improved any for you?
Missy

Old 09-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
(female)

PennyLane8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick
Keith, sorry for the later reply. do a google search for eyeshieldtechnology. The moisture goggles are called duo-shades. They are cheap and do wonders. I would have been lost without them.

Good luck.
Stupid question--I've looked at these types of goggles online, but I'm confused--how do they work? Do you have to add drops or something? Are they one-time use, or multiple? How often do you wear them?

Old 09-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #12
(male)

riddick HB User

You just wear them as regular goggles. They don't actually provide moisture to your eyes like a steam room would. They retain the moisture that is naturally present in your eye. They protect against wind, air conditioning, dust, and other environmental conditions that tend to irritate the eyes. They really made my post lasik dry eye issues manageable.

Missy, to answer your question my dry eye syndrome is essentially gone. Just last week I called my doctor's office requesting punctal plugs because I felt like this would never go away...but to their request I promised to tough it out a little longer. Two days ago (all of the sudden) it just went away. I noticed that I don't need goggles, drops, or any other means of eye relief. I did notice them getting a little better over the past month or so, but it was so inconsistent that I wasn't really sure whether or not they were getting better. It really changed by the minute. One day would be horrible...another day would be 75% better, and then during one hour of that same day it would be unbearable. I couldn't understand it. I guess it's just the way the eyes handle the nerve regrowth.

I am almost three months post lasik. I was taking Flax seed oil on and off and doing occasional lid scrubs. I used the moisture goggles every night to sleep (well, about 95% of the time) since I had the procedure. I wore them at work almost every day. I constantly used theratears gel drops when I wasn't using the goggles. Hopefully I won't need any them anymore.

For the first time since my procedure I feel like I have my eyes back. I'm just hoping that it stays this way. I wish everybody else luck. Hang in because it takes time to heal.

Riddick

Old 09-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Riddick,
WOW!! I am so happy for you!! I can't wait for my eyes to feel normal again. Right now they still feel pretty cruddy, but maybe a little less dry. I'm still having some problems with headaches, which I think are from the dry eyes. Please keep me posted on your progress. It is so nice to hear that you finally improved! I am about 2 and a half months out of surgery so maybe I'll see that improvement soon. Here's to hoping!

Missy

Old 09-28-2005, 03:42 PM   #14
(male)

riddick HB User

Missy, the day will come...I'm sure not too far away. As long as you did not have dry eye problems before surgery then I highly doubt that you will have them very long after the surgery. The improvement was very sudden for me so even though your eyes are bothering you now, realize that it could be a matter of days before they feel ok.

I noticed that I would get headaches occasionally too. I rarely ever got headaches...I can't remember the last time I had a headache prior to surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if the dryness has something to do with it.

By the way, I bravely decided to sleep without goggles last night since I have stopped wearing them during the day (I say bravely because the mornings after not sleeping with the goggles, my eyes would be in horrible shape) and I woke up in pretty bad shape. The whole morning my eyes were irritated and feeling like they were a month ago. Right now I am feeling ok again, but this is the first point in the day where they feel back to normal. I guess that I'm not quite there yet...I'll still have to sleep with some protection unless I want to rough it out the next day.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Riddick,
I'd take it slow with the goggles at night - Your eyes get a lot dryer at night b/c they aren't making tears. At least if you wear your goggles at night you are OK during the day!! That's still great progress!
Please keep us posted!
Missy

Closed Thread