It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #1

Ladymoon HB User
I just got LASIK!

hey everyone,
i just wanted to give you guys some info. those of you who's been here for a while knows that i have been battling meibomitis and dry eyes. well, i got lasik surgery this past tuesday. i was sooo nervous b/c of my pre-existing conditions and a lot of doctors cautioned me against it. i know that a lot of people have had relaly bad side effects from surgery. but the doctor i got the surgery from was very confident and said he hasn't really had any problems w/ severe or long term dryness, etc. so i did it. and guess what? i'm great!! i'm only 21 and i got the customvue surgery. the day of surgery it felt kind of sandy, but the next day i didnt feel anything! and i had 20/15 if i used both eyes the next day! i had 20/20 on left and 20/15 on right the next day!!! my doc said my prescription was in the 6s so it'll improve for the next 6 months! the only side effect i sort of have is that when i look at lights at night, i have a bit of fuzziness around the lights, but i heard that that's common and will go away w/ time. so i had a successful (knock on wood) surgery. just letting everyone know!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
(male)

myoptic33 HB User
Re: I just got LASIK!

This gives me new hope! How bad were your dry eyes? Have you ever worn contacts for any period of time? I consider my eyes a mild case of dry eyes they arent noticable unless im on the computer for hours, am tired or am wearing contacts. What type of laser did you use and can you tell us more about it? How large are your dilated pupils? Mine are 8-9mm, not sure but its between that. Ive read that pupils over 7mm are at greatly increased risks of night and low light vision anormalities. Then theres the issue of presbyopia which gets worse as you get older. For a severe myope with -6 or more diopters they would need to have their face literally in the book to read it clearly. So losing a little near vision is worth the trade in achieving perfect distance and perfect or near perfect intermediate vision. Im about -4.5

Last edited by myoptic33; 10-02-2005 at 06:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

I had lasik surgery a little over two months ago and our cases sound very familiar. I would caution you to make sure that you use the drops very often to keep your eyes from drying out. Mine didn't get really dry until a week or two after surgery (not to scare you - just telling you my story). I have to use a lot of drops and lubricant at night. My doctor told me it would take about 6 months for my eyes to get back to feeling "normal". Please keep us updated on your progress!

Missy

Old 10-03-2005, 05:17 AM   #4

Ladymoon HB User

I got a new procedure called CustomVue. its really good. i dont know...i think i have avg pupils. my eyes are quite dry - schrimer's test of 2 mm. i know.... but it hasn't really bothered me too much. i do try to lubricate often. and i'm using anti imflammatory and antibiotic drops. i'm not sure of the specifics. i did used to wear contacts and my contacts are way less comfortable than after lasik. and my doc said it may get more just a few weeks later b/c u blink less.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Hi Ladymoon,

I had my lasik surgery almost 3 months ago and I am having a lot of problems with dryness and I think with my oil glands. I think that I may have had MGD or something similar before my surgery and didn't realize it. Since you have been through some of this I am hoping that you can give me some advice -

I've noticed that I have little white spots (almost like tiny little bumps) on the ouside edge of my eyelids (on the top, behind my lashes, mainly). I think that I've had these for a while, but I always just thought they were a contact lense or allergy problem. My doctor never mentioned them and they didn't bother me so I didn't pay them any attention. I now think that they are my MEIBOMIAN GLANDS and they are stopped up. If a doctor noticed that, why wouldn't he tell me? If these are stopped up does that mean that I have MGD and will I ever get rid of it? A doctor about two months ago told me that I have Blepharitis, is that the same as MGD? I don't really have any crusty stuff on my lashes, just the little white bumps and lots of eye irritation!

I never really had any trouble with all of this before lasik, I'm wondering if it will ever feel better! Right now I'm doing warm compresses and eyelid scrubs in the mornings. How does your doctor want you to treat you MGD now that you've had lasik?

Thanks for any advice - I hope that your eyes are still feeling great!!
Missy

Old 10-04-2005, 01:19 AM   #6

Ladymoon HB User

hey missy,
it seems like u def have mgd. u should check out our previous mgd/posterior bleph sites. i think u had mgd before, but the lasik dried ur eyes so u didnt feel teh symptoms till u has lasik. but even if u did get lasik u would have still eventually had worse mgd and so its better u found out earlier. w/ diligent and LONG term treatment it can be cleared. check our previous posts. i had mgd long before lasik and it wasnt until after i got my mgd under good control that i got lasik. alright, take care and update me. how long after ur lasik did u get dryness?

Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

I started having a lot of dryness about one week after surgery. It has continued and persisted up until now - almost three months. I know that my doctor said that it can take 6 months or more for my eyes to feel normal again, but right now I don't know if that will ever happen. Did your doctor give you any tips for dealing with your problems right after surgery. Are you doing warm compresses and lid scrubs right now?

Missy

Closed Thread