It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
(male)

james76n HB User
Custom Wavefront Lasik – 10 days post op, left eye got worse 7 days later.

Hi,

I got Wavefront Lasik done about 10 days ago, on February 24th. I was happy with both eyes the day after surgery at my post op examination.. My left Eye was about 20/20 and my right eye was about 15/20 with a little blurriness. About 3 days ago, my left eye starting feeling like there was something in my eye , like an eyelash and my vision suddenly changed. Now it’s blurry in the left eye and it seems like there’s a shadow when I read letters. (It seemed like my vision changed about .5-.75). I went in to see one of the Doctor’s yesterday and they found an eyelash in my eye. They said the eyelash may have caused some irritation and that my eye has a little dry patch that may have caused the sudden change in vision. They said give it a day or two to see if my vision gets better and recommended using drops and gel. I haven't been using drops or gel that often, since my eye never felt dry. I just started using drops every hour or so since i've seen my doctor. I’m a little worried that it won’t get better, since a day has passed.. I just don’t understand how my vision can fluctuate so much. Can dry eye or and eyelash really change my vision that much? It’s supposed to get better, not worse..It’s been bad for about 3 days now and has not improved. I first thought it may have due to lack of sleep because I was up late over the weekend and have not been able to sleep that well the few days after the post op. Please let me know your thoughts or if anyone has experience this problem or has any recommendations.

Thanks

Last edited by james76n; 03-08-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

jkm3253 HB User
Re: Custom Wavefront Lasik – 10 days post op – left eye seems to got worse.

Just remember you're still healing and it may take up to 3 to 6 months for your eyes to heal....I know it's frustrating, but do hang in there and remember it's a healing process. It's really hard to be patient, I know, but when they created the flap, the nerve endings did get severed and have to heal too, so you will have dry eyes for sometime. At least that's what I have been told with all of my worriness!!! Good luck and take care!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
(male)

james76n HB User

I'm worried because my vision was crystal clear just a few days, and now it's not. And I don't think an eyelash or dry eye can really change my vision, can it?!

It didn't really seem like the person examing my eye knew what was going on either. She just said let's just wait a few days to see if it improves, and scheduled me another appointment for me to come in a few days later.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by james76n; 03-08-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
(female)

sdv HB User

Hi James,

Dry eye can DEFINITELY cause vision changes! Take is from someone who went from 20/15 the day after surgery to 20/25 to 20/30, then back to 20/15 months later! I am almost 9 months out from surgery and still dealing with dry eye and vision fluctuations because of it, but the vision fluctuations were much worse in the first few months. Think about it this way...if you have a dry spot on your cornea, then how are you supposed to see clearly out of it? Those dry spots can definitely cause lots of vision problems depending on where they are located. Just try your best to keep your eyes well lubricated and keep using your drops. I think I am a very rare case that is still dealing with this at 9 months post-op....hopefully you will be seeing better real soon! Take care.

Michelle

Old 03-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

james,
Michelle and I are just 2 of a few people on this board that can tell you for sure that dryness/dry spots do absolutely cause vision fluctuations! The fact that you weren't using any eye drops at first is almost definitely the reason for your problem. I can not stress enough the need to keep your eyes moist. Moisture is one of the key factors to your post-op healing. Just consider how much our bodies depend on water to survive. Aren't we something like 70 or 90% water? I don't remember the percentage but, I know it is some huge number. That includes our eyes. And, you may feel that lashy feeling even in there isn't a lash in your eye. That is due to the dryness. But, don't depend of the feeling of your eye to tell you whether they are dry. As my doc told me, your eye can be as dry as the desert and you won't have a dryness sensation. So, LUBRICATE as if your eye sight depended on it. And, I know I sound repetitive if you have ever read any of my other posts, but make sure the drops you get say Non-preserved or Preservative Free on the packaging. It is the only kind you should be using. Any drops with preservatives can and probably will cause you more issues and irritate your eyes.

Take care!

Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
(male)

james76n HB User

Thanks for your replies. It's a little more comforting knowing that some other people have gone through something similar. You guys must have been really scared as well. I know I was freaked out when I woke up one morning and my vision was blurry.

My eyes didn’t feel dry after the surgery and the person that examined my eyes told me some people don’t experience dry eye and may not need to use drops. I thought I was one of the lucky ones and neglected to use drops. It makes me feel like an idiot that I didn’t know I had dry eye and may have caused my own vision problems.

It's been about 4 days since my vision has changed and about 13 days post op. I've been putting drops in every hour or so for the last 2 days, but I have not seen any improvement in my eye. What's the general period that I may have to wait? Every morning I wake up, hoping for that crisp vision I had a few days after the surgery, but to no avail. I have also noticed that I see shadows with my left eye now…hopefully it will get better. I'm still having doubts that it's dry eye that caused this vision change...

My eyes still don't feel that dry, but I've been using drops. Drops seem to make my eyes more dry after the fact.

Do you guys have any recommendations on what drops to use or if the overnight ointment will help and is good for use after the surgery? Let me know if you have any other recommendations or stories.

Last edited by james76n; 03-09-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
(female)

sdv HB User

James,

It is very common not to feel the dryness, and in some ways, you are very lucky that you don't! The dryness is caused by your corneal nerves being severed during the lasik but that also means that some of the nerves that make you feel the dryness were severed too. So, as the nerves continue healing, you may feel the dryness a bit more, or it may go away before you even have the chance. As for a time frame, that is very hard to say. As I'm sure you've read on a million websites, the dry eye and the vision fluctuations should go away during the normal healing period (3-6 months post-op). However, me and Hating glasses are well past that point and still waiting. I think in most cases you will be feeling fine even before 3 months though. Why would so many people jump at the chance to have lasik if it was going to involve 6 months of discomfort and crappy vision? EVERYONE I know that had it was fine after a few weeks. I guess I was just unlucky.

I know that it can be scary, believe me, I can relate, but you need to hang in there. You are SO SO SO SO SO early in the healing process. I cannot stress that enough. I had 20/15 vision in my left eye for about 5 weeks after surgery and then all of a sudden it got worse. Now it is back to 20/15, so I believe it was the dry eye causing problems. As far as a nighttime gel goes, you might want to try Genteal Gel. Get the Severe dry eye kind that comes in a tube (not a dropper bottle). That is what I use at night, and it came highly recommened from many doctors and dry eye patients. However, PLEASE ask our doctor about this first. You are still earlier enough that you need to be careful not to mess up your lasik flap, and I'm not sure you are supposed to use gels or ointments at night yet. Good luck and keep us posted. Keep using those drops. Things will get better.

Michelle

Old 03-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
(male)

james76n HB User

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for you comforting words.

As I’m writing this my vision seems to have gotten blurrier in both eyes. The more drops I use the more dry my eyes seem to get. I’m wondering if it’s because, as you have mentioned, that my nerves may have began to heal. I’ve been trying to lube them up every hour or so, and when they feel dry as well. I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that my vision will improve. At work, I’m on the computer like 100% of the time—so that may have also contributed to some dryness.

It was a little hard driving this morning as everything was a little fuzzy and foggy. I’m even having a little trouble writing this post as well. I was told that custom wavefront lasik was supposed to mitigate a lot of these factors.

I have another checkup with the doctor tomorrow. Are there any questions that you recommend that I ask? The last time I can in, I was never really told or asked if my eyes have been healing properly. They made me feel like my eyes should improve within the next few days if I lube them.

Thanks again for your comforting words.

James

Last edited by james76n; 03-10-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Hi James,

I just read your posts and thought that I would share some of my experiences. I started experiencing problems with dry eyes about a week after my surgery. They were SO dry. I was using drops all of the time! Now... eight months later I still have dry eyes, but they are getting somewhat better. I guess that I am a slow healer b/c most doctors say that dry eyes go away somewhere around 6 months. As far as drops go I use BION tears during the day and Moisture Eyes Ointment at night. When you see your doctor you might want to have him check your eyes for dry spots. He should be able to tell if dryness is causing your vision problems. I know that when my eyes are dry they can get kind of blurry. You may also want to try taking flaxseed oil or fish oil. They both help with stabilizing the tear film.

Take care!

Missy

Old 03-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
(male)

james76n HB User

Hi All:

Thanks for all your help and comforting words. I went to go see the optometrist on Saturday and they said I probably just have dry eyes and I should continue using drops. It's been about 3 days and I still use drops every hour or so.(It gets expensive though...but my eyes are worth it) I think I like using refresh Endura and Refresh Celluvistic. I interchange these two depending on how dry my eyes are. My vision has definitely been getting a bit better (or at least it seems that way, or maybe i'm just used to the blurred vision.) I think using ointment at night helps a lot. The optometrist gave me tears again to use. My eyes still seem very dry late night and in the mornings, but a lot better during the day. I've also been taking fish oil and flaxseed.

I'll keep everyone updated, and thanks for all the help

Old 03-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
(female)

sdv HB User

Hi James,

I'm glad to see that things are improving a bit for you. It really does take time for your eyes to recover from all this. Today was one of the blurry days for me, and then tonight, I'm seeing clear again. It all depends on the surface of your eye and your level or dryness. I see that Missy pointed you in the right direction with the flax/fish oil. Those are definitely good to take. Yes, the drops can be expensive (especially the Endura!!), but keep sticking with those preservative free ones since you are using them often.

One other thing that you can try at nighttime if you continue to have problems is a sleep mask. Some people sleep with their eyes slightly open which causes their eyes to dry out at night. The ointment/gel may be enough for you, but if you are still feeling dry in the mornings, you could try the sleep mask and see if that helps too! The sleep mask would be especially beneficial if you have any sort of fans or heating vents that blow in the direction of your bed when sleeping. That stuff will really dry you out! You can also try sleeping with a humidifier near your bed. I hope that your dryness and your vision continue to improve, and that things get better for you real soon! Let us know if you have any more questions!

Michelle

Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
(male)

Brown_eyes HB User

Hey James,
We had our lasik done the same day wohoo! I got mine on the 24th as well. I guess I'll talk about my experience thus far and it may help give some guidance or be some useful feedback. I can relate.

Like you I started experiencing my left eye getting blurry a few days after, I think sooner than when yours did, it's been this way for about 5 days now.
I have ghosting too - I think that is what the shadows are?
Now I am noticing that my right eye is starting to blur a little, for me it has been real crisp up until.
The left eye blurriness is definitely consistent but the right eye just started, I think it is due to lack of sleep and over use of my eyes with the computer(I stare at a computer all day). I plan on getting good rest tonight, laying off the comp. and hopefully that will help it clear up tomorrow.

I haven't had a problem with dry eyes luckily but I have been using the drops religiously anyways. The night time gel I started using right after.
One thing about the night time gel is I noticed that when I use too much, it leaves my vision real foggy the next day. When I use slightly less than recommended, for about 4-5 hours after I wake it stays foggy and it usually clears up by noon or so. I get headaches if I try to use my vision too much or strain too much b/c of the fogginess.

Right when I wake up I have difficulty with my eyes.
After blinking a couple of times and putting some drops in, I can use them normally but I guess it is a form of soreness too. This has been improving everyday, I think today was the best my "wakeup eyes" have been.

I hope my left eye gets better, from what I have read here and from what I have talked to my Dr about is that it should. I am sure for you and I it will, we just have to be patient. Right now I can see better than when I could wearing glasses or contacts so in the bigger picture I guess I really can't complain but I really want that left eye vision to be as crisp as the right!

Couple of other things I noticed...
When allergies are bad my eyes tend to struggle a little. Lack of sleep does no good either, I have been real careful to get lots of rest, but slacked off the past couple of days.

Before I had my lasik done I had them put in some Punctal Plugs to prevent dryness even though they said I didn't need them. They plug up your tear duct and help with the dryness post-op. I did it b/c that seemed to be people's no. 1 complaint.

Before my surgery my left eye was the strong and better vision eye, now it is my right eye that is strong post-op.
I think my brain is taking time adjusting to it. I notice that if I look at something real fast or move my head real fast in the mirror it takes me a second to focus my eyes or adjust. Eye reflex a little slow.

Every now and then I get little pains in my eyes but not on the cornea. They go away as quick as they come. I am not sure why. Anyone else experiencing this? I think it may be the hemorraging clearing up (slight hem. from suction cup device).

For drops I use Systane, I am not sure how good or bad systane is. It seems to at least get the job done? I have no complaints. I use Natural for the nightime gel.

I apologize in advance for the long post but I am just coming forth with as much info as possible to share.

Take care,
BE

Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

James,
Whew! I want to warn you against the Endura and Celluvisc. That is what I was using back in September (or before that). I went to my regular eye doc just to make sure that he didn't see anything that could be causing me the major case of dryness that I was experiencing. He asked me what I was using and when I told him what, he told me to stop using it and start using Systane. He said that the Endura, while a good product, was causing me more irritation. The fact that I needed to use it so often should have told me that I had a problem in the first place. The Systane is a lighter, runnier lubricant but, it won't cause any irritation. You may not have any problems with it but, from my experience, I was able to lay off using my drops every 15 minutes to a half hour once I stopped using the Endura and Celluvisc. I went from at the least, every half hour to every 2 hours. Maybe, just so you don't feel like you have wasted your cash, use the boxes of the stuff you are using now, then just try the Systane for about 2 weeks. See if you don't experience a difference. And, if you do, you will also get a break in the wallet since the Systane is cheaper.

I would just hate for you to set yourself back at all in your healing process like I did by using those drops.

Take care!

Old 03-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #14
(male)

james76n HB User

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input and advice.

I used Systane a few days following the surgery, but for some reason when I used it, I had a lot of gunk in my eyes right afterwards--therefore, I stopped using it. Maybe this was because of the surgery. I’ll take your advice and try Systane again for a few days and see how I feels. I know it’s a lot cheaper, but I don’t wanna be cheap on my eyes… Does anyone else have anyone else have any warnings about Refresh Endura or Celluvisic?

My vision is definitely not as sharp today and does not feel as good as they did yesterday. My left eye is a little blurry today. I am also on the computer 24/7 at work, and want something that will protect my eyes while they are healing. That’s why I tried the Celluvisic—cuz it’s supposed to coat my eyes. My eyes get very drained from staring at this darn computer screen all day.

Every now and then I experience a little pain near the side of my eyes that gives me a slight headache as well. I am not sure why this is… It’s usually on the right side.

I usually wake up in the middle of the night and put eye drops and more ointment in my eye as a precaution. I don’t want my eyes to dry out while I’m sleeping. I don’t like the why any of the Gel’s that I have tried feels—I have tried refresh and thera tear. I hated Thera Tear. Is it easy to sleep with a night mask on? I know I had a lot of trouble sleeping with that protective goggles the 1st week.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:15 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Hi James,

I use a sleep mask at night because my eyes get so dry and sore. It really helps. I use a cheap satin mask from Wal-Mart. They cost about $3. I don't think that it's too bothersome, no where near as annoying as those goggles you have to wear right after surgery.

I like the Celluvisc tears and the Thera Tears Liquigel, but right now I'm using BION tears, which are really good. I also use ointment at night.

Missy

Closed Thread