It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
(male)

mlewis001 HB User
Post Epi-Lasik Recovery

I am 12 days post Epi-Lasik, My vision is getting better, however I feel alone with respects to ups and downs of recovery. Any one out recovering from Epi-Lasik recently?

Old 08-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
(female)

marion11111 HB User
Re: Post Epi-Lasik Recovery

Epi-lasik patients are very rare on the internet and the few I've read were thrilled with their results in 2 - 3 weeks. Not me.

I had my left eye corrected for monovision(reading) 7weeks ago and am pleased with those results even though my vision was clearer the first two weeks.

The problem is my right eye which was corrected for distance. I couldn't see two feet right after surgery, was at 20/80 after four days and 20/50 after 1 week. It's now been three weeks and absolutely NO improvement - in fact, it's a little worse. I have an appointment in one and half weeks. I read that by about one month, you should be seeing close to your final vision. Well, this is not a workable distance vision. I teach and need to see the students' facial expressions across the room. 8 feet of clear vision is not my idea of good distance vision, yet people all over these boards say it's great. I'm afraid I'll need to wear my "night driving glasses" all day long at work and then in the car and then to see the TV at home. Basically what I was doing $4,000 ago.

I expected slow improvement, but I've had none for 2 weeks. I expected regression, but my vision was never very good before it regressed. I expected haze, halos and glare and have none. Of course, the clinic says, wait and see, but I think he seriously undercorrected.

Has anyone else had vision this bad, this far out, with no change? mlewis, did yours get better? and how much and when? Obviously, I'm frustrated.

Oh, and I'm shocked that this is legal driving vision. No wonder people are changing lanes and stopping like maniacs. They can't read the road signs until they are right under them!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
(male)

mlewis001 HB User

Epilasik was scarry, I was able to see (not that well) about 8 days after the surgery. I was also worried. The first 8 days I almost cried everyday wodering what had I done to myself. After the eight days, I was at 20/40. My vision would be good, then bad, then great, then terrible, After the 2nd month, I was 20/30. The 3rd month was 20/25. I'm going in next week for another exam, and may be let off the FML solution (not Sure). Epilasik has by far less complications than the quick deeper flap proceedure. I will tell you, that WE ALL HEAL AT DIFFERENT RATES !!!!!, You have had the outer layer of skin on your eyes damaged and just like if 20 people got burned on the arm, they would all heal at different rates, there a millions of mico-tissues and nerves that were cut and they have to heal!! I will tell you, IT TAKES TIME, it will be up and down. I hated when my eye doctor told me this. I wanted to punch him in the nose. I would call him in a panic and he say, "Don't worry, It's going to take a little bit"...God I hated that !!@#$%
I gave myself 6 months, I read a million chat messages, and I decided that, 6 months was when I would consider myself stable. This may not work for everyone, but it helped me cope. I hate to say this, but....Give it time, it's gloing to take a little bit...Keep your eyes lubricated. let me know how you are doing. Aslo my last visit was 20/25, if I get no further, I'll be happy.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-21-2006 at 07:00 PM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
(female)

marion11111 HB User

Mlewis - Thank you so much for your reply! I know that having been through it yourself you know how aggravating this lack of information is. I'm one month out from my distance eye and still no change. My near eye is great.

I just saw the doc yesterday and he agreed that nothing has changed, but that I should be patient and, like you, I wanted to punch him in the nose. I thought "what a line to just keep me quiet until I can have an enhancement." In fact, he did start to discuss enhancement timelines - Thanksgiving at the earliest, most likely Christmas. I'm down to FML three times a day. And still restasis. Next appointment in 3 weeks. I also picked up glasses so i can see those students!

I feel so much better having read your post. It sound like you didn't see clearly - and I would also consider 20/25 to be an acceptable level of vision - until the second/third month. Since none of the other kinds of lasik take this long, I seriously wouldn't have believed it until I heard it from someone who actually had epi-lasik.

So thanks for the encouraging news. I hope my eyes also improve over the next 2 months, but for now I'm glad to know it isn't just some line the doctors tell their patients.

Keep posting how you're doing. I'll be interested to see how your vision progesses.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
(male)

mlewis001 HB User

Just had my 4 month exam. I tested at 20/20. The line wasn't very sharp, but I could read all the letters. One thing that I am continuing to do is take vitamins, get plenty of rest, not strain my eyes, etc. I have the "miracle eye course method" and used it before the surgery, that course is great because when I was wearing contacts, I went from a -4.75 to a -3.50 in about 8 months. The doctor said it was just a fluke, however I knew in my heat that nothing they ever did mad my vision better. I tell you rhis becuase after your vision stabelizes, I suggest trying many of the exercies in the course. What the couse does it equip you with the skills necessary to maintain good vision, such as, never focus close up more than 30 - 45 min, take breaks and focus on distant objects, etc, Now that I have 20/20. I know there is a lot I can do to stack the odds in my favor that I can keep it as long as possible. So, if an enhancement is necessary, then do it, I'm thankful that I didn't do a regular lasik, because I may not have had enough flap left to work with, but since you and I had epilasik, all the material is still in tact, so retreatment is very viable ""that's great", 2nd, do everything in your power to learn what helps maintain good vision and work these things into your daily routines, 3rd always visualize yourself seeing perfectly. My view is that its takes a multipoint approach to maintain good vision. Knowing what I know now, its easy to say don't worry, but I'll puch myself in the nose for saying that. It is far better knowing that if a retreat is needed ,all the tissue is there to do it still in tact. I'd be more worried if I had double vision or some of the complications associtaed with traditional lasik. Everyone that asks me about it, I recommend epilasik, I tell to schedule it for a vacation period, have the surgery, and sit on your ***-etts for a while, so, blah, blah, blah,...

kit

Old 09-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
(female)

marion11111 HB User

Still frustrated! It looks like I'm not going to have your good luck.

I had my 2 month visit and I've had absolutely no change since the last visit! Since, I wasn't seeing the surgeon, but a brand new eye doctor, I was getting the "Oh, it's too soon. It could get better. Look how much thinner your glasses are. yak, yak, yak."

I don't think they expect us to do any research. I'm not stupid and I've been checking the boards and no one else has had their eyes completely stabilize at 20/50 for 6 weeks and THEN improve. I got frustrated, burst into tears and that at least got me an actual discussion with the surgeon. He agrees it's probably not going to improve since it's been stable for awhile now. If it was fluctuating or still changing in the "corrected vision," yes, but not with this stability. He considers my eyes pretty well healed. Everything looks great, I'm doing everything right, so on and so on.

So, I need an enhancement. Now, in some respects I lucked out with this healing - no haze, no halos, no glare. My night vision is exactly the same as my day vision. Unfortunately, the next surgery will be PRK since you can't have epilasik twice. PRK has a higher rate of those types of complications so naturally I'm concerned.

I also know now to allow over a week off work per eye. I don't have that time during the school year. He said we can wait until summer for this enhancement if I need to. So, glasses for a year and I have to keep removing them to see within 3-4 feet. He tried to make me feel better by telling me my glasses looked so much cuter now that they are thinner. Does he think I'm thirteen years old? I don't care how the h*** they look.

Thank goodness I read these boards and read about one woman's problem where they re-did her distance eye and she got great distance, but lost all mid-range. She wears glasses to see between 18 inches and 4 or 5 feet. Otherwise, she has to take them off to see. Aaack. So I asked about that. "Oh," he said, "that could happen. Let's try you in a distance correction contact lens and see if it works. if you lose mid-range, then we'll have to correct both eyes for distance and you'll wear reading glasses." He thinks I'll be able to wear contacts now that my astigmatism is less. At the 3 month visit, they will fit me for a contact lens and we'll see how it goes.

While I'm glad to know we're going to be more careful about the level of correction this time, I wonder if he would have suggested the contact trial if I hadn't asked or would he just have gone right ahead with the distance correction. I chose this guy and paid more because I wanted better care than the big chain surgeons would give, but I don't know. This guy is very nice and I think he's an excellent surgeon, but he doesn't seem too good at considering all the possiblilties on his own and he sure as heck doesn't ask the patient enough questions.

Phooey. I'm glad now to have a plan that seems to cover all the options, but still - phooey.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
(male)

weonyc HB User

I had my epi-lasik almost four weeks ago. My vision is slowly getting better...but it is very frustrating...so I understand everyone else's frustration. My doctor told me that it will take a few months for the clarity to improve...he said I can see very close to 20/20...but I find that hard to believe! I started driving after about one week...but still don't feel comfortable to drive at night any great distance. I do have some 'benchmarks' I use to gauge how well I'm doing, and I do see some subtle improvements. I use Pred Forte 4x per day...and will at least until my next appt in early Nov. This really doesn't compare with any of my friends who had the traditional LASIK, whose vision was near perferct in a very short period of time!!! Those contact lenses don't look so bad after all!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
(female)

shal70 HB User

I had epi lasik about 15 days ago. I am so frustrated!!!! I barely can read the computer screen now. Before surgery I had no problems with reading just distance. As like everyone else--my doctor said be patient blah blah blah.... I am having issues with: blurry vision, reading close, cant drive at night well due to glare halos etc. Also, everything is a haze. I cant see road signs and the list can go on and on...My familty is great but they do not understand the way I feel because I went from seeing perfect with glasses to now not seeing as well as I did without my glassess!!!!

What is my next step? any suggestions of drops? Thank you

Last edited by shal70; 04-03-2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: wanted to reply to messages

Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
(female)

shal70 HB User

yes i am 15 days out from getting surgery and can not believe I cant not see!!! 2-3 days of recovery time is just not right to tell someone!!!! I felt confident with my doctor but am now wondering what is going on. I am so blurry!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #10
(male)

hazylefteye HB User

Hello weonyc,

I had epi-lasik surgery about a month ago. I had it done in Singapore and I have now returned to Paris where I am working. While my right eye is recovering quite nicely, the vision on my left eye is still quite hazy.

I was worried and I therefore called my doctor in Singapore (four phone calls to get through a firewall of nurses). He strongly believes it is nothing to worry about and that the haze (double vision, more prominent with daylight) will slowly go away ... ...

Well it is very slow and it is stressing me out..... I am worry if the hazy vision is permanent. Fortunately I can function quite well given that my right eye is doing quite well... It would have been a real nightmare if both of my eyes were hazy ... gosh... it is like throwing dice!

I would love to hear about your experiences (and how you have recovered) given that you have your operation done in September. And I love to hear from any others here in the board that might have similar experiences...

Very worried and stressed,

hazylefteye

Quote:
Originally Posted by weonyc View Post
I had my epi-lasik almost four weeks ago. My vision is slowly getting better...but it is very frustrating...so I understand everyone else's frustration. My doctor told me that it will take a few months for the clarity to improve...he said I can see very close to 20/20...but I find that hard to believe! I started driving after about one week...but still don't feel comfortable to drive at night any great distance. I do have some 'benchmarks' I use to gauge how well I'm doing, and I do see some subtle improvements. I use Pred Forte 4x per day...and will at least until my next appt in early Nov. This really doesn't compare with any of my friends who had the traditional LASIK, whose vision was near perferct in a very short period of time!!! Those contact lenses don't look so bad after all!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
(male)

hazylefteye HB User

Hey shal70,

apparently you and I had Epi-Lasik surgery about the same date (mine is on 20/03/2007). Let use this board to share our experiences if it is OK with you.

My left eye is giving my double vision and is completely hazy when I step out in the daylight. The doctor says it will improve but it has been a couple of weeks and the vision is still hazy.

Good thing I do not have to drive here in Paris!

hazylefteye

Quote:
Originally Posted by shal70 View Post
yes i am 15 days out from getting surgery and can not believe I cant not see!!! 2-3 days of recovery time is just not right to tell someone!!!! I felt confident with my doctor but am now wondering what is going on. I am so blurry!!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #12
(female)

valeriakoeva HB User

Dear all,

I had my epi lasik on the 21st of June.
During the first week when I was wearing the contact lenses
I was able to see fine with both eyes. My left eye was a bit better.
After the removal of the lenses I was seeing bad with both eyes.
The following day my right eye started seeing nicely and imporiving every day.
My left eye is still very misty and I have double vision.
I am very very worried. The diffrence in my eyes is very big and I
have headache all the time.

Now almost 3 weeks after the operation and 2 weeks after the lenses removal my left eye doesnt have any improval.

Please share with me your thoughts.

Waiting your reply

Valeria

Old 09-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #13
(male)

hem_the_game HB User

hi everybody...m frm india
i had my epi lasik operation done at 10 aug 2007
b4 i had abt -11 n -9 vision in both eyes..its 20 days since i got operated n vision is still not perfect...its 6/5 dont know wat it means....but its good...doc says that i hv recovered fast...n looking ahead for a sharp vision...god knows how much time more....but operation has changed my life...b4 i cant even see my face in mirror without specs...all credits to my doc..i know everybody is frustated wid slow recovery even i m...but results will be the best for all of us....bye

Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 AM   #14
(male)

sujeet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hem_the_game View Post
hi everybody...m frm india
i had my epi lasik operation done at 10 aug 2007
b4 i had abt -11 n -9 vision in both eyes..its 20 days since i got operated n vision is still not perfect...its 6/5 dont know wat it means....but its good...doc says that i hv recovered fast...n looking ahead for a sharp vision...god knows how much time more....but operation has changed my life...b4 i cant even see my face in mirror without specs...all credits to my doc..i know everybody is frustated wid slow recovery even i m...but results will be the best for all of us....bye
Hey...I had my epilasik done in my right eye on 14th aug 2007...and lasik in my left eye on 21st aug...
left eye became almost completely clear from the very next day...
but the right eye( epilasik one) is still giving hazy vision...
my doctor says it wud take 3 to 6 months for the epilasik eye to stabilise...
can anyone who is "3 months post epilasik" here comment on the same?

Closed Thread