It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
(female)

sunshine1686 HB User
Drops driping into the back of my throat?

I had Lasik done on Friday, and so far everything is great! However, whenever I put in the antibotic drops I can taste them at the back of my throat. This started to happen when I was in at the doctor's office getting my numbing drops put in my eyes. I told the nurse that I could "taste" the drops and she said that was normal. Does this happen to anyone else? Do you have any suggestions to prevent it? I've tried tilting my head forward and drinking/eating something after putting in the drops but it doesn't work.
It is such a terrible feeling and the taste is so bitter!

Thanks!

Last edited by sunshine1686; 06-24-2006 at 11:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
(female)

LASIK Veteran HB User
Re: Drops driping into the back of my throat?

Try putting pressure in the inner corners of your eyes, where your tear ducts are. The drops are draining through the ducts and down your throat, as all tears do. The excess medication will exit down your face instead. You won't be able to stop all of the drainage, but probably most of it. Having something flavorful to drink helps, but you'll need to keep drinking it for a few minutes because the drainage takes a little while to complete.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
(male)

mlewis001 HB User

It's the FML that tastes like crap. Yes, it does drip down the back of my throat. I would not suggest putting any sort of presure on your eye. It is my understanding that if you had Lasik, then your flap is healing and I would not be pushing on any part of your eye. You could dis-lodge your flap, or cuase a wrinkle in the epithelium. I had epi-lasik on 6/8/06.

Take care.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
(male)

steve2005 HB User

It's normal. I never found it that hard to live with (had surgery 11 months ago). I'll second what mlewis said about not putting pressure on your eyes.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
(female)

MyEye! HB User

Pinch the inner corners of your eyes, as if you're pinching the bridge of your nose. It doesn't affect the flap, and makes all the difference in the world with the taste. I was told this was the proper way to use the drops - keep your eyes shut and squeeze the tear ducts for 1 minute. This also keeps more of the medication on your eye as opposed to it running down your throat. You may still taste a little, but not nearly as much. You definitely dont want to be rubbing your eyes or messing with them, but this wont affect the healing, that flap is pretty secure within a few hours of them laying it back down. I did this after both of my lasiks and never had any problem with the flap.

Closed Thread