It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

JEM33 HB User
Eye Makeup after surgery?

I am a little hesitant to wear much eye make up after surgery. I am just afraid that when I try and wash it off, I will be disturbing the flap. I try and be so careful when washing my face everyday and not to go near my eyes.

Has anyone worn much make up since the surgery and any tips on removal of it?

J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Eye Makeup after surgery?

JEM,
I can't remember how long ago you had your surgery. But, it seems like it was long enough ago that you shouldn't worry too much. If I remember correctly, my surgeon told me to clean my eye lids with Saline (not the solution, the salt and water combination you can get from a pharmacy) for a month then, I could use anything I wanted. My surgery was almost a year and 8 months ago. I finally found the perfect stuff to take your eye makeup off. My brother's girlfriend is a Mary Kay representative. They have this eye makeup remover called something like "Oil Free Eye Makeup Remover". You can literally get it in your eyes (and trust me...I accidentally got a rather large amount of it in my eyes the first time I tried it) and it doesn't sting, hurt, burn or anything painful at all. It blurs your eye a little for a little bit but, it is so gentle that you could practically pour it into your eye and the worst that happens is you get a little blurry for a few minutes. It is great. And, it takes the makeup off wonderfully. It is so gentle that I have no fear of really getting at my lower lash line to get my eye liner off. That is something I have had a problem with ever since before my surgery and have had an even bigger problem with it ever since my surgery. You can just take one of those cotton pad things, put some of the eye makeup remover on it, and gently rub it across your eye lids and lover lashes. I highly recommend getting it. If you don't have a Mary Kay rep, go online to their website and order this stuff. I can't say enough good about it.

As far as my eye makeup, it took me some time before I was able to finally wear more eye makeup. Plus, I had to find the right brands. But, I have been suffering from post-lasik dry eye and, most mascaras, eye shadows and eye liners made it worse. But, over the past month or so, my eyes have gotten much better. I still have a problem with my office causing me discomfort. I was on vacation for a week and had no problems (except for a small stye (sp) in my eye in the middle of the week) so, I know that my office is the culprit. Otherwise, my only remaining issue is the egg shell feeling I have when I first wake up in the AM. But, my eye makeup is no longer an issue. It is really just a matter of finding the brand that doesn't bother your eyes. I use Revlon for shadow, Almay for eye liner, Max Factor (I think) XXL for mascara, and, because I use my blush as another color on my lids, I can't remember if it is cover girl or revlon. But, after a little over a year and a half, I finally have it right! Good luck and take care!
Keep in touch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

cindylou1 HB User

My surgery was three months ago. I use quite a bit of eye makeup and have not had problems with it. I too use the Mary Kay oil free eye makeup remover and have to say the same, its great. Its so easy to get the makeup off that you dont have to rub or anything just wipe off with a cottonball and and the remover and you will be all set. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

mrs magoo HB User

How long did you wait though??? My doctor said two weeks but like the original poster I am worried about how to take it off. I sell Mary Kay so I will use that but actual removal, any tips?? Rub downward, lightly just the lashes? I am sick of being asked if I am sick or tired because my lashes are blonde and my eyes disappear without a little liner and mascara. I am looking forward to my eye make-up again.

So basically, I am looking for tips on the actual process of make-up removal. I am extremely paranoid about disrupting the lens flap.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

I believe it was one week before I was told that I could wear eye makeup but, I was told to clean my lids with the saline for 1 month post-op and to just be very gentle. After that, you can use what you want to clean your lids but, still be fairly gentle for a little while (maybe another month after that). Particularly where mascara is concerned, I would use a blend that is very easily removed. Not something that is water proof because, you will generally have to work harder and rub harder to remove waterproof mascara. So, use something that would basically cause you to look like a racoon if you had a crying jag. Hehehe!

How long has it been since your surgery?

Take care and I hope this helps.

Closed Thread