It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

kiminath HB User
Unhappy Post-op 'complications'?

Hi.
My mother and I went in for Lasik yesterday.
She was at something like -7.00 in both eyes. Today the doctor said that she had 'very small' inflammation in the left eye. He increased her anti-infective and steroid dose to every two hours instead of every four. I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences, or if anyone knows how serious this is or can get... could it mean loss of vision? An 'enhancement'? It's quite worrying.

Now my case:
My original prescription was (R)-4.75, and (L)-5.00. My right eye is now 20/20, but my vision still blurred in the left. Doctor said left eye isn't healing as quickly as the right. I know that everyone's eyes are different, and that you shouldn't expect 20/20 in both eyes on the day after surgery, but I was wondering if anyone knows what I can expect in terms of being able to SEE? I've spoken to four or five people who've done the surgery, and they all said that everything was okay (20/20) the day after surgery. How 'a-typical' are less-than-perfect results?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

bnme41 HB User
Re: Post-op 'complications'?

I think in most all cases it take a few weeks to get full vision.
I had lasik 8 weeks ago and I was told upfront that it would gradually get better. I was about the same as you the right eye 20/20 the next day and the left was 25/20 at the first month check???. I think what your Mom is experiencing is probably something else that will pass.
At least in my case, I believe we ask everyone and they always tell us how great it is (because they forget the recovery) then we get afraid something is wrong. A friend did tell me before hand that it wasn't pain free, so that did help some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

kiminath HB User

Thank you for your post. I feel a bit calmer now.
I was so worried about being blinded by the laser that I didn't ask all the questions relating to results that I should have. What I know about results I know from my 20/20 friends!
Will keep my fingers crossed about an improvement in our vision!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

DollBaby24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnme41 View Post
I think in most all cases it take a few weeks to get full vision.
I had lasik 8 weeks ago and I was told upfront that it would gradually get better. I was about the same as you the right eye 20/20 the next day and the left was 25/20 at the first month check???. I think what your Mom is experiencing is probably something else that will pass.
At least in my case, I believe we ask everyone and they always tell us how great it is (because they forget the recovery) then we get afraid something is wrong. A friend did tell me before hand that it wasn't pain free, so that did help some.
I agree...the surgery wasn't pain free for me so I was worried that something was going wrong because when they did my second eye it hurt. Also, I had 20/20 vision the following day, but my right eye was more blurry when trying to read for a few weeks. My vision improved a few weeks after, but I was a little worried during those first few weeks because I had read the same thing..."you'll have 20/20 vision the next day and you can go back to work!". I had dry eyes for months, and it took a good 4 months for my eyes to feel good. But now my vision is perfect and my eyes feel great and I don't regret it at all.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
(female)

LASIKLuvr HB User
Cool Re: Post-op 'complications'?

I had no complications and I see amazingly. I think you should ASK ANY doctor what exactly your eye problem is before thinking the surgery is the cure all. I am pretty sure people's vision is not all related to the same problem. For example lets say you are red haired, fair skinned and close to *albino* ... well think LASIK will magically fix that?

Please be careful people. It seems LASIK only fixes certain conditions not ALL BAD VISION CASES!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

nugeme HB User
Unhappy Re: Post-op 'complications'?

I just found this board. I had Lasik done four days ago. My doctor ( one of the most respected ophthamologists in the southeast) told be " you'll see great and be back to work the next day...piece of cake...". I got up off the table after surgery expecting all the wonderful blogs I had read...you know them - "WOW, I can read that clock on the wall!". Well, not me. I was looking through lemonade.

I said, Doc - what about all the glowing testmonies of people who get up and see wonderfully and all is well. Then he reminded me I was 51 years old. Funny- he didn't say anything about that in consultation.

So, I'm 20/25 in one eye and 20/80 in the other with halos, double vision in one eye, etc... I can't do my job and I'm typing this with some gosh-awful reading glasses that make me nauseated.

No I guess I'm looking at weeks to months of recovery ( they don't tell you that in consultation)....and drops every waking hour. This has been a very life altering and emotional experience for which I was not prepared.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll be glad I had it...right now I could kick myself - I feel helpless.

God bless you all.

Last edited by nugeme; 08-16-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Closed Thread