It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
(male)

dnew85 HB User
Thumbs down Extremely Dry Eyes after LASIK

For anyone considering LASIK surgery, the grass is not always greener. I had it done on November 17, 2005. For the first year everything seemed ok. I had some dryness but knew that it was temporary (so I thought). During year two my eyes became severely dry and I have since started restasis, bio-tears, and have had my lower tear ducts plugged. The dry eyes have improved some but still hurt and are blood-shot all the time. I am going back to the eye doctor in a week and I am going to ask him to plug the upper ducts as well as give me a prescription for Lovaza. My LASIK surgeon failed to perform a schirmer test on my eyes, all his staff did was a slit-lamp test. After all these problems I finally had a Schirmers test to see the volume of tears I was producing. I am 29yrs old and the average score is 15-17mm however I scored 5mm in both eyes. I thought that glasses and contacts were such a pain in the rear but would give nearly anything to go back and make the decision not to have LASIK. Key take-away: If you have dry eyes before LASIK make sure you do all of the tear testing before going through with it. I long for the days of putting on contacts and taking them out everyday. Hope this helps someone.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
(female)

yellow10 HB User
Re: Extremely Dry Eyes after LASIK

hi, I have been using restatis for 2 months now, pre lasik. I just had the lasik 2 days ago. I think the restatis does help, it just takes time, so I think you might see some improvement if you are just starting it! I also just got the plugs in the lower ducts, that combined with the restatis does seem to make an improvement! I agree however, that lasik surgeons should be checking the dry eye situation before even progressing with lasik. I must be lucky as my eye clinic did do this. I mentioned I had dry eye when I went in for the pre exam and they did the paper test, and I basically had nothing in my eye. So I then took restatis for 2 months and did nightly eye lid scrubs for 2 months before I had the lasik. It's only been a few days, but i've experienced very little to no dry symptoms yet-after the surgery. I think it's because of the pre-prepping for the dry eyes. Good luck the Restatis! It does help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread