It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

cc68 HB User
Restasis before procedure?

Hi again,

I forgot to ask, those of you who had dry eye prior to Lasik, did your doctor recommend Restasis to diminish the chances of more dry eye after the procedure? When I went in for my consultation, I requested a test to rule out dry eye as it was a concern of mine since my husband does suffer from dry eye and more so after Lasik. So, apparently, I was diagnosed with slight dry eye and I was given a prescription for Restasis. So, any one out there use Restasis prior to Lasik and do you feel it helped or did you experience less dry eye than most?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
(male)

Laner HB User
Re: Restasis before procedure?

cc68,
You will definately have more dry eye if you have the surgery. Keep in mind they cut almost a complete circle flap on the surface of your eye, to do this surgery. When you blink that tells the brain that your eye is either dry or not. So if it is dry it tells the eye to add lubricant. Almost all of the nerves are severed when the flap is cut. Your brain does not get the signal that it is is dry. That is why it is so important to use your drops after the surgery. The good news is that the nerves start working again but how long it takes is different with every patient. It is possible that you never recover to the level you are right now and have to use something to lubricate you eye for a long time. I am not trying to scare you but to let you know it is a risk. I was lucky and I didn't need the drops after about 2 months. But I have one friend that used many different kinds before she found something that worked. She had to use drops in both eyes for a year and sometimes they still get dry. Lasik is a wonderful thing and I am proud everyday I had it. But please concider that you already have some dry eye and it could get worse.

Best of Luck,
Laner

Last edited by Laner; 05-21-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

Skylar_ HB User
Re: Restasis before procedure?

I had slight dry eye before the procedure but it only bothered me when I wore contacts-in glasses it didn't bother me. No Restasis but they inserted punctal plugs about a year before the procedure and that may have helped. I had Lasik (my story in posted under "My Interlase Experience" ~7 months ago and am not having a big problem with dry eyes.

Post-procedure sometimes I wake up at night or first thing in the morning with dry eyes, so I have eye drops on the bedside table. Other than that, I notice it a little in the car with air-conditioning on, so I put on sunglasses. Or if I'm tired I may need drops. I probably use them 2-3 times/day. Everyone is different but for me Lasik has greatly enhanced my life-the dryness hasn't been an issue. I would suggest you pursue punctal plugs-maybe that would help, good luck, Skylar

Closed Thread