It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

sgk HB User
Question Questions about Monovision Post Please Help!!!

Hi all! New here. Need help. My Dad and I went together to have our procedures. He had Monovision correction for reading. If you have had this procedure and can help, these are his fears/concerns...thank you so much!!!! Intralasik-excellent Dr. in Dallas, Tx Boothe.

Surgery-Nov.11th 2008-Was getting better, he could read from the "eye" post surgery from arms length two weeks out. Then it became worse and now he has to put things right up to his face.

No progress almost 4 mos post surgery.
Eye waters bad, stings skin-but not eye (the discharge) Now using Therma Tears and seems to stop watering and crusting of eye.

Past two weeks Halos are as big as they were right after surgery. They had gone down for three mos.

Left eye (surgery eye) won't compensate for right eye when driving now -for far off distance. In other words he is worse off. As well as he now has to get right up on computer screen now!

Last question, thank you for your patience, does anyone know if he can have classic Lasik now on the one left eye now or on both now, since it is messed up now?

Or is this all normal-how long did it take you guys with your monovision surgeries?

Thanks so much everyone-he is so worried. he has had 20/20 or better his whole life until about 6 yrs. ago and wanted this for reading.

Last edited by sgk; 03-02-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

JustMe2009 HB User
Re: Questions about Monovision Post Please Help!!!

You REALLY need him to call his doctor! I had monovision and it's working GREAT now. Of course, I'm only 6 weeks out from surgery. I had mine the 15th of January and thought it was the biggest mistake of my life. It's gradually getting better. I took a shower this morning and could see what I was doing. I can see when I wake up and can take a nap without worrying about where my glasses are. It's not totally crisp yet, but I still am healing. He needs to call his doctor. Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
(female)

seaduced HB User

Did your father wear monovision contacts for awhile to try it out ? The FDA recommends:

"Some patients cannot get used to having one eye blurred at all times. Therefore, if you are considering monovision with LASIK, make sure you go through a trial period with contact lenses to see if you can tolerate monovision, before having the surgery performed on your eyes."

Last edited by seaduced; 07-06-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
(female)

MrsClem HB User

Hi there

I'm 5.5 weeks post LASIK and I had monovision too. My eyes are still settling, and I have wildly fluctuating vision. I've been told this is due to dryness and I'm keeping my eyes well lubricated. My reading vision has been perfect from the day of surgery, but my distance vision is a problem. This is mainly because my dominant eye was also the worst eye vision-wise, and is limited in terms of possible correction. That eye (the left) had severe astigmatism, and was also extremely myopic. So the left eye is going to take longer than the right to heal, and as this is the one I need for distance, I am still struggling with that a little. Close-up reading is fantastic, but I do find I have a middle-distance blur problem - I can't see faces clearly, for example. I am also still having some difficulty seeing in poor light. Night halos for driving are not a problem now, or at leaast have decreased in severity. I'm told I have to be patient and allow about 6 months for the full healing process (and patience is not my strong point) but I had 20/20 vision (with both eyes working together) at my one month post-op check.

One thing I would concur on is that if you use monovision contact lenses prior to the surgery and you get on well with them, there's more chance of success with monovision LASIK. It's a brain function thing. I don't like having one blurry eye, but can cope if the other eye works well. Where I have the problems is when my 'stronger' eye isn't working well, and I have days when I can hardly see at all. I've had 3 days in a row when I could see perfectly (and I got excited, because I thought my eyes had stabilised - they hadn't, unfortunately). So I'm still struggling, but not in a terrible way. I can cope well enough to drive, go to work, read signs etc. But I have to say I prefer the days when my vision is sharp and clear. I'm hoping everything will settle in the next month or two, because my patience with the lack of clear distance vision is running out.

I think your dad needs to go back and see the surgeon, because it sounds like the correction on his may need to be enhanced - not that I'm any kind of expert on this.

Keep the eyes well lubricated no matter what. That's important for visual improvement.

And good luck!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
(female)

juner50 HB User

Some Drs won't perform monovision correction on males because their brain/eye connection can't adjust as well to it as women can.

Had you dad been in monovision contacts for a long time prior? If not I would suggest going on a few consults with other surgeons to get second and third opinions before moving forward with any other surgeries.

Closed Thread