It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

marchon HB User
Focusing Issues After Lasik, Bug Eyes After Lasik

Had lasik 3 months ago and I'm not happy, has been the worst 3 months of my life and I am wooried it will never get any better.

First off, one question has anybody had the experience after lasik where their eyes would get really wide when working on a computer and would kind of get stuck in that position? kind of buggy eyed? this has been happening to me and its really freaking me out, kind of scary looking.

I'm currently having extreme difficulties focusing on things within about six feet of myself. If I'm looking at anything within about 6 feet and try to relax my eyes everything goes blurry, I never had this problem before lasik. almost 3 months out now. I'm suppose to be 20/20 with no astigmatism so the docs are only recommending reading glasses thus far, still have'nt had any luck with them. My problem is bigger than reading glasses, I currently can't go out and socialize because trying to sit across from somebody and have a conversation or play cards is just to physically draining. I'm able to focus in on people but it takes a bit of effort and after just minutes my eyes are starting to feel the pain.

The focusing issues that I've been having have showed no improvement at all within the last couple of months so I'm worried that I may be stuck with them for good. I can focus in on things but it takes extreme effort to maintain and its painful. I'm not really sure how I'm going to be productive if I can't figure out some type of remedy for the situation.

Then of course there's the dry eye, been experiencing that from the beginning and its excruciating!

Last edited by marchon; 03-12-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
(female)

JustMe2009 HB User
Re: Focusing Issues After Lasik, Bug Eyes After Lasik

I'm sorry you're having problems I am too. I wish I would have never done lasik. I had it done January 15th, and I wish I could go back and change what I did. Its my VISION for crying out loud, and I messed up one of the most precious things in life. Seeing. Very frustrating 2 months it's been. They keep saying "it takes 3-6 months, maybe a year for your cornea to heal" so I'm hanging on to this. If in a year it's not better, I will get an enhancement on my left eye for far away vision (it's for close up now and I think it's messing up my right eye some how) I just want to put on glasses and see.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
(male)

BumbleBeez HB User

Wow, I'm sorry you guys had such bad experiences. I had LASIK at LASIK MD years ago and my vision is perfect. I even had a severe case of myopia (-7 with astigmatism). I know there can be complications, but that they are extremely rare (1 in 1000 cases) and also that they usually go away within time. The new custom technology has dramatically reduced the night vision problems and dry eye. I recommend you go see your surgeons, as they can most likely do a re-treat and correct your problem.

Last edited by BumbleBeez; 03-16-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
(female)

Sanna HB User

Lasik is the most stupid thing i have done in my life. Why did i do it? I was so stupid. Now I can not see things near me only far away. I can drive but I can not read, anyone else has that problem??? And I have also ugly red veins in my eyes that probably never will go away or maybe in a year that is what the doctor says. so sorry that i did not see this board before i did the surgery...

Old 04-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
(male)

landar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanna View Post
Lasik is the most stupid thing i have done in my life. Why did i do it? I was so stupid. Now I can not see things near me only far away. I can drive but I can not read, anyone else has that problem??? And I have also ugly red veins in my eyes that probably never will go away or maybe in a year that is what the doctor says. so sorry that i did not see this board before i did the surgery...
When did you have the operation? The hematoma (red "veins") is common and should fade away in the next few weeks. Not being able to see close up or read is called Presbyopia and naturally happens to people over the age of 40. The eye lens loses flexibility and does not accommodate as well as it did when younger. You will need reading glasses. I just had Lasik and I need reading glasses. Its no big deal for me and I knew this full well going into the surgery. I just went to a drug store and purchased a pair of +1.25 reading glasses for $15. If you wore glasses before Lasik, surely you had progressive lenses or bifocals?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
(female)

Sanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by landar View Post
When did you have the operation? The hematoma (red "veins") is common and should fade away in the next few weeks. Not being able to see close up or read is called Presbyopia and naturally happens to people over the age of 40. The eye lens loses flexibility and does not accommodate as well as it did when younger. You will need reading glasses. I just had Lasik and I need reading glasses. Its no big deal for me and I knew this full well going into the surgery. I just went to a drug store and purchased a pair of +1.25 reading glasses for $15. If you wore glasses before Lasik, surely you had progressive lenses or bifocals?
I am 29, I did not have reading glasses before laseksugery. My sight was not so good when I had to look at things far away. I just noticed something today actually that my sight is a little better near than before so maybe my doctor was right it is normal and it will go away. No one told me this before surgery I knew about the blurry vision, the not so good vision at night, the haze, the halofenomen and all that but not anything about my nearsight problem. But I asked about it and they only told me, "you will not have any problems reading".

what do you think about red veins 4 mounths (not weeks) after surgery? Itīs not normal maybe it will go away maybe not

when did you have your surgery? Everything is great for you?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
(male)

landar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanna View Post
I am 29, I did not have reading glasses before laseksugery. My sight was not so good when I had to look at things far away. I just noticed something today actually that my sight is a little better near than before so maybe my doctor was right it is normal and it will go away. No one told me this before surgery I knew about the blurry vision, the not so good vision at night, the haze, the halofenomen and all that but not anything about my nearsight problem. But I asked about it and they only told me, "you will not have any problems reading".

what do you think about red veins 4 mounths (not weeks) after surgery? Itīs not normal maybe it will go away maybe not

when did you have your surgery? Everything is great for you?
Well, if you are 29, you *should* not really need reading glasses...however, I do know people in their late 20's and early 30's who need them. It is far more common to need them when you pass 40. Perhaps your doctor over-corrected your eyes a bit. I have read that slight over-correction usually straightens out with time so that is in your favor. As far as the redness, that can take a long time to heal. I have some red veins in the sclera (whites) of my eyes and had them even before the Lasik. One eye has some redness from the Lasik but it is ever so slowly clearing up.

I understand that it is not uncommon to require 6 months to 18 months(depending upon how you heal) to have clear vision. So, I would encourage you to keep your spirits up, keep using the eye drops and hang in there. This is a much, much longer healing process than they lead you to believe. I am just starting to see my vision clear up. It is somewhat frustrating because I was hoping for a quick fix. But with each day I see a tiny amount of improvement. Remember also that as your vision changes, your brain needs to re-train and that can take some time. I can remember getting a new pair of glasses and thinking "these cant be right!". But they were. It just took my brain some weeks to get used to them. Think of what a trip your healing(constantly changing) corneas are to your brain that is trying to figure out what is going on. It will stabilize but may take a long time.

No, everything is not great for me. I still have halos and ghosting at night and my left eye is still red. But it has only been 3 weeks and I am getting used to my new sight, which is getting sharper each day(very slowly).
Also keep in mind that those that are very happy with their Lasik are not apt to post on these types of forums. They are busy leading their lives with new found wonderful vision and are not looking for solace. That mainly leaves the other type of people to post.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
(male)

landar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norby2009 View Post
To update on my situation:

I just ordered new glasses, they are costing 650 bucks, i had my lasik 4 months ago. Hopefully they will eleviate some of my problems with headaches and dizzyness. I don't think they will do much to help with the dry eyes, blurry vision and difficulty with night driving, excruciating facial pain, and visual distortion.

Unfortunately, the clinic I went to "LASIKMD" in Canada does this procedure in bulk rather than on carefully-selected patients. They now refuse to acknowledge my problems, the optometrist I saw last week told me my vision is clear and crisp after I had just told him about all of my problems. They don't listen to me and just rush me through the post-op check-ups as quickly as possible because they don't want me to cost them anymore money.

This procedure is going to cost me a heck of a lot more money then what I originally paid.
Norby, you bring up a good point for all those contemplating Lasik. You must do your homework thoroughly in choosing a surgeon. There are 'clinics' looking to make a fast buck and may not have the best interest of the patient at heart. When I was shopping, I looked at several prominent doctors in the area. Once narrowed, I had a consultation with each. They both seemed very competent and I personally knew of friends who had success at each. But the one who ended up doing the surgery had been doing it longer, had a tremendous reputation for doing it right, had done local "celebrities" and most importantly for me anyway, had a passion for Lasik (ok, maybe a passion for money too ) He also had Lasik done on himself and alot of his staff and other optometrists(that speaks highly right there). Also teaches the Lasik procedure to others because he has been doing it for 15 years. I will point out that still, there are no guarantees. It does, however, stack the odds more in your favor.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
(female)

Sanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by landar View Post
Well, if you are 29, you *should* not really need reading glasses...however, I do know people in their late 20's and early 30's who need them. It is far more common to need them when you pass 40. Perhaps your doctor over-corrected your eyes a bit. I have read that slight over-correction usually straightens out with time so that is in your favor. As far as the redness, that can take a long time to heal. I have some red veins in the sclera (whites) of my eyes and had them even before the Lasik. One eye has some redness from the Lasik but it is ever so slowly clearing up.

I understand that it is not uncommon to require 6 months to 18 months(depending upon how you heal) to have clear vision. So, I would encourage you to keep your spirits up, keep using the eye drops and hang in there. This is a much, much longer healing process than they lead you to believe. I am just starting to see my vision clear up. It is somewhat frustrating because I was hoping for a quick fix. But with each day I see a tiny amount of improvement. Remember also that as your vision changes, your brain needs to re-train and that can take some time. I can remember getting a new pair of glasses and thinking "these cant be right!". But they were. It just took my brain some weeks to get used to them. Think of what a trip your healing(constantly changing) corneas are to your brain that is trying to figure out what is going on. It will stabilize but may take a long time.

No, everything is not great for me. I still have halos and ghosting at night and my left eye is still red. But it has only been 3 weeks and I am getting used to my new sight, which is getting sharper each day(very slowly).
Also keep in mind that those that are very happy with their Lasik are not apt to post on these types of forums. They are busy leading their lives with new found wonderful vision and are not looking for solace. That mainly leaves the other type of people to post.
Hi,

I can tell you that the first weeks are the weeks when you really can see that your eyes are getting sharper and sharper and thats nice. I have heard that you can have halos 6 mounths after surgery but I had it for one day so that means yours could goaway anytime. Right now my eyes are getting a little better but I hardly notice it but I think that maybe I should stop thinking about it for now and hopefully my eyes are better one day.

Yes they tell you that it is a quick fix and that you will see clearly in a mounth. I guess I should be so happy that I did not have any problems with light and I did not have doubble vision. I did have blurry vision for about 6 weeks and than suddenly it was gone so I hope the rest will just goaway too Maybe I should belive the doctor for once, but it is not easy when you think you know what you are doing and than suddenly you have a problem you did not know you could have.

take care,

Closed Thread