It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
(female)

graces23 HB User
Astigmatism "cure"? Lasik any good?

I went for a consultation for lasik eye surgery a while ago, but was told because I've got astigmatism in both eyes, this wasn't a viable solution. *sigh* I was told they'd eventually (fairly soon) go back to how they were before.

I find I'm ok except I can't read specific words from a fair distance away, but I don't drive so it's not a real issue...the main thing is when playing computer and video games, I need glasses (which I have) or I feel really sick...in my head. Like a cross between I'm about to faint, throw up, get a migraine, have my eyes explode or have some kind of seizure...it's quite horrible. A few times I have actually gotten migraines and/or the next day I wake up and my eyes are all red, like the capilliaries have burst from pressure.

Anyway, has anyone had any success with astigmatism? Glasses don't really suit my face. lol. (contacts are out. My eyes are too sensitive for them)

Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Astigmatism "cure"? Lasik any good?

G'day. There are contacts specifically made for astigmatism, but I guess they're out. So-called sensitive eyes can be made less sensitive however.

As I understand, there is laser surgery for astigmatism; however, the astigmatism has to be stable, so the operation isn't done on young(ish) patients. I suppose I should go and look that up again, if I'm giving out advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

Limbal relaxing incisions are an in-office procedure to reduce/eliminate astigmatism. They worked pretty well for me. I was told that LASIK/PRK were the most reliable way to eliminate astigmatism (although more expensive than LRIs). Maybe you should consult another refractive surgeon for a second opinion about your situation.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

Norby2009, you did NOT make a wreckless decision. None of your friends will think you are nuts for having LASIK. You have got to stop blaming yourself--you did nothing wrong! It might help your mental health to consult a medical malpractice lawyer about filing a lawsuit against the doctor (the real guilty party here) who apparently botched a simple procedure. In any case, you deserve to be compensated financially for all your pain, anxiety, frustration, and lost income.

I truly believe that your eyes will improve with time. Your friends are probably bewildered by your withdrawal, and they could be a strong source of support for you during this difficult period.

Last edited by JodieJ; 03-27-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
(female)

avenema06 HB User

I have been thinking about getting Lasik for a while now, My dad had it done about 4 years ago and his eyes are still doing GREAT! but since I have really stared looking into it I have been reading and also hearing a lot of bad things about it, does anyone have and advice or can anyone tell me what they when through. I am scared to death to have my eyes cut into!!! But I am SO SICK of wearing glasses and paying over $300 a year on contacts!

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
(female)

Delmar HB User

Im with Norby 2009...DONT DO IT!!!!

I also had a horrible experience with LASIK. Before surgery I had a very mild prescription in both eyes. Just enough to be an inconvenience. I have horses and found that was the biggest reason for my decision. Being around horses and their environment meant getting dust and hair in my eyes all the time and with soft lenses that made it a pain.

I went to the most reputable place in my area because I didnít want to mess around when it came to my eyes. I went for my consultation and was told I would be best going with custom lasik a more expensive option. I agreed due to wanting the best option for my eyes.

The surgery was a success for a little while, then my eyes began to change. I started getting constant migraines and sore eyes. I went back to my eye doctor and had him test my eyes. He said he cant find any reason for my vision problem, which at that time was only in one eye. He then told me about Optic neuritis and MS. So began the long inquest into whether or not I had MS, a brain tumour or had suffered a stroke. After MANY, MANY test I was sent to an Ophthalmologist. The Ophthalmologist was the one that diagnosed me with having Ectasia.

ďEctasia is a bulging of the corneal. Ectasia is also called iatrogenic keratoconus or secondary keratoconus because it is basically a surgically induced version of the naturally occurring disease keratoconus. Ectasia is a very serious long-term complication of LASIK.Ē
Ref www.lasermyeye.org/patients/learning/ectasia.html

My eyes are now both affected and nothing will ever fix it. The absolute only possible cure is to have a corneal transplant. I am 27 years old and now will have to face this for the rest of my life. My eyes WILL get worse, its just a matter of how long it will take. I have been told no case is the same. That some peoples eyes change many times in a year and some peoples eyes only change every few years. Every case is different.

If I had to go back and do it all again, I would have NEVER got this done. My eyes are worse now then they were before surgery. Glasses and soft lenses donít fix it, my only option for better vision is gas permeable lenses, and even they donít get me good vision. The trade off was defiantly not worth the risk.

Norby I totally understand how you feel. I also kick myself for having this done. The way I look at it now is, whats done is done and I donít want it to ruin the rest of my life. So I have had to learn to adjust and just keep going!

Closed Thread