It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

free2dream HB User
Day 27 - I Have A Question about 'Tears'?

Today I'm 27 days post-lasik. Four days ago my vision was quite blurry so I went to see my doc. She said I was developing some astigmatism, & my eyes looked a little dry. Since then I've been increasing my BioTears usage, and this morning, I have very little 'ghosting' when working on my computer!
Can anyone explain to me why using 'tears' more would make the ghosting less prominent - especially 5 to 60 minutes after I use them? (My vision is blurry after I use them for the first 5 mins or so) If I have astigmatism, shouldn't the ghosting appear, irregardless of how often I use artificial tears?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
(male)

landar HB User
Re: Day 27 - I Have A Question about 'Tears'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2dream View Post
Today I'm 27 days post-lasik. Four days ago my vision was quite blurry so I went to see my doc. She said I was developing some astigmatism, & my eyes looked a little dry. Since then I've been increasing my BioTears usage, and this morning, I have very little 'ghosting' when working on my computer!
Can anyone explain to me why using 'tears' more would make the ghosting less prominent - especially 5 to 60 minutes after I use them? (My vision is blurry after I use them for the first 5 mins or so) If I have astigmatism, shouldn't the ghosting appear, irregardless of how often I use artificial tears?
The tear film actually is part of the optical system of the eye. The light first enters the tear film, then cornea(and there are various layers in the cornea), then lens, then vitreous humor and finally the retina(and I have omitted some..but you get the idea. LOTS of components in the optics chain). The tear film can "smooth" out the surface causing it to be more round than it might otherwise be. Not being spherical is what causes astigmatism. Therefore, if your astigmatism is due to a non-spherical corneal surface, then a proper tear film can correct the anomaly.

I have the same sort of condition as you. My vision is somewhat ghosted at distance and it is due to the tear film which is not yet fully developed. When LASIK is performed, they sever corneal nerves near the surface and the nerves are what signal your tear glands to produce tears. The nerves are supposed to regrow and natural tear production restored within 6 months of surgery. I am still waiting for my tear film to get back to normal at 6 weeks post-op (if indeed it ever will). The doctor just put me on Restasis which is a prescription eye drop to aid in tear production. So far, it seems to be helping.
Does this answer your question?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
(female)

free2dream HB User

Thanks Landar. I don't know if restasis is available in Canada. I haven't heard of anyone who's used it here.

I thought I'd try this product and find it a big improvement over the BioTears which the Lasik Centre has me on. I find BioTears feels no different than water, and when I use them aggressively, my eyes almost feel dry and sore at the end of the day. Blink Tears works so much better - more comfort and the vision smooths right out.

I go for another examination in 3 weeks, so at this point I'm hoping my astigmatism doesn't worsen. At this point, the idea of an enhancement scares me. Lasik is teaching me patience, that's for sure.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-10-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
(male)

landar HB User

Quote:
Lasik is teaching me patience, that's for sure.
Yes, LASIK is also teaching me patience. Apparently it takes a long time to heal for some people. I also think that some people are just more discriminating in their vision, that is, they notice little abnormalities that others might just brush off as insignificant. I am in the discriminating (anal ) category.

You should have seen my last post-op check-up. The tech wanted me to rattle off the snellen chart letters as fast as I could. Well, I don't operate that way. If I cannot rather clearly see the letters, I am not about to take a stab at it. Turns out I needed a correction of about -1.00 Left eye and -0.75 R. eye to achieve 20/20. However, with proper tear film, I can see 20/20. The film only last a few minutes and I am back to somewhat blurry(I can easily see well enough to drive). The doc did mention the "E" word. But it is still very early and we will try to get the tear film up to snuff before considering an enhancement. Overall, the docs seem helpful and concerned, which is encouraging. I thought they were going to call me a success with 20/30 vision but they are as particular as I am.
I am going to find this "Blink Tears" and give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

free2dream HB User

You are so right - I am very particular about my vision, too. I notice the smallest subtleties and always have. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the "Blink Tears" once you get a chance to try them. I was outside all afternoon doing yard work, raking, etc. My eyes felt very comfortable and I definitely don't notice the 'on & off' vision that I experienced with the BioTears (where your vision seems to change with each blink!)

Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
(male)

landar HB User

Quote:
You are so right - I am very particular about my vision, too. I notice the smallest subtleties and always have. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the "Blink Tears" once you get a chance to try them. I was outside all afternoon doing yard work, raking, etc. My eyes felt very comfortable and I definitely don't notice the 'on & off' vision that I experienced with the BioTears (where your vision seems to change with each blink!)
I have tried the "Blink Tears"...no noticeable difference. They work well for a few minutes, then gone. They use the same active ingredient as Systane does (polyethylene glycol).

Old 05-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
(male)

daimleramg HB User

I had PRK done on May 1st 2009 and I'm using Thera Tears, give them a try they are not bad. I will try blink tears next, I seem to go through a box of these perservative free tears rather quickly about once every 5 days.

Thera Tears is made from Carboxymethylcellulose Sodium Opthalmic Solution.

Last edited by daimleramg; 05-17-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
(male)

daimleramg HB User

So I've tried a few other brands, BionTears, Tears Naturale, Refresh plus and blink tears. My favourite is Refresh Plus and Thera Tears, both are about the same and very soothing.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
(female)

free2dream HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimleramg View Post
So I've tried a few other brands, BionTears, Tears Naturale, Refresh plus and blink tears. My favourite is Refresh Plus and Thera Tears, both are about the same and very soothing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try Thera Tears. I live on the prairies - windy most of the time. I've been using Bion Tears, GenTeal, or Blink, but they don't seem to be lubricating enough. I'll try Thera Tears next.

Closed Thread