It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
(male)

merlintl HB User
Ups and downs of Lasik

Wow.... I'm a tad over 3 weeks post-Lasik Surgery and wondering if I've made the biggest mistake of my life.... Sigh....

Right Eye - Up until 2 days ago the right eye was rock solid. While I've had halos at night, the visual acuity has been very very good. About 36hrs ago, my right eye's night vision has fallen off a cliff. While everything is perfectly clear and good in daylight, at night I can be 20 feet from the stop sign and still see blurriness in the letters "S" "T" "O" "P".

It started to go blurry Tuesday night. On Tuesday, was outside most of the day (sunglasses). About miday went to the gym (5 mins cardio, very light weights for about 15 mins, sauna 5 mins, whirlpool 5 mins; nothing special). Worked on computer for about 2hrs. Watched TV for a while.

Left Eye - After about a week I started seeing a small amount of ghosting / double vision in low light. This has been consistent for the last two weeks. My doc says its part of the natural healing process.

The funny thing is I've been worrying about the left eye and now the right has gone south. Today I saw doc but didn't think too much about last night since I figured I was just dry or something like that. Doc indicated a little bit of dryness but flap and eye looked good. But that fact that tonight, my night vision in right is crap, getting concerned.

Note I've been using Systane Ultra about every 1-2 hrs and still on Omnipred for 1/day dose.

What did I get myself into???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
(female)

DollBaby24 HB User
Re: Ups and downs of Lasik

What you're going through sounds normal to me. I had some blurriness and fluctuating vision for the first few weeks as well. My best advice is to lubricate the heck out of your eyes. There's no such thing as using too many eye drops, so even if you don't feel like you need them, put them in.

Also, I know you're supposed to avoid hot tubs for a little while after Lasik, I would think whirlpools too.

You just need to relax, it's too soon to worry. Your eyes are still healing, and will be for a while.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
(male)

merlintl HB User

Thanks for the encouraging words DollBaby24...... I'll keep my fingers crossed and take your advice.....

Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
(female)

becca773 HB User

Dollbaby is right, give it time. Your eyes will go back and forth and fluctuate a lot while you're healing. Mine changed almost by the hour it seemed like. Mine kept changing for a couple of months post op. I also had very dry eye. mine lasted about 6 months. I was on restasis and had to use rewetting drops all day. I also had to use a gel at night to keep my eyes from drying out. It was very painful if they dried out while sleeping. Mine got better after I stopped taking restasis on about month 4 or 5.

I also had very bad halos and it was very difficult to drive at night, now that my eyes have healed, thats gone too. I still feel like my eyes are a little more sensitive to bright headlights then I used to be though.. but I've gotten used to it.

I would go to my doctor every week or so and tell him I was scared and that my eyes were not where they should be. He kept telling me to give it time. I had VERY bad myopia so he told me my eyes would take longer to heal. I gave it time and after the first month or so I was 20/20! I still am 20/20 and my eyes feel 100% normal. I'm about 9months post op and have felt this good for about a few months now. Dont worry things will get better and you'l be very happy you had lasik! It was the best decision I've ever made and I would do it all over again.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
(male)

merlintl HB User

Yeah, I know what it seems like for the hour by hour change.

Right now I'm doing Systane Ultra like every 15-20 minutes. Its the one that comes in the bottle not the vials. Since that has a preservative in it, wonder if its ok or should I opt for the vials (much more expensive) which are preservative free?

I'll have to talk to my doc next week when the practice back open on the 4th about the dry eye in general. The dry eyes didn't seem this bad the first two weeks but then again its later in December and much colder here (i.e. humidity is lower, etc). Right now I'm on week 4 + a few days.

Someone on another forum said that Lasik is a process not an event which is so very true. Again fingers crossed that I'll be as luck a you two (becca773 / DollBaby24) in the end... Thanks for the support.

Last edited by merlintl; 12-30-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
(female)

DollBaby24 HB User

Please update us with your progress! Good luck!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
(male)

merlintl HB User

Becca,

Just curious, what rewetting drops did you use? I've got really bad dry eye right now. I imagine thats not helping my healing. I'm putting in Systane Ultra (non-preservative) like every 30 mins right now. What's not helping matters is its very cold and dry right now.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
(female)

anniegirlf1 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Ups and downs of Lasik

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlintl View Post
Wow.... I'm a tad over 3 weeks post-Lasik Surgery and wondering if I've made the biggest mistake of my life.... Sigh....

Right Eye - Up until 2 days ago the right eye was rock solid. While I've had halos at night, the visual acuity has been very very good. About 36hrs ago, my right eye's night vision has fallen off a cliff. While everything is perfectly clear and good in daylight, at night I can be 20 feet from the stop sign and still see blurriness in the letters "S" "T" "O" "P".

It started to go blurry Tuesday night. On Tuesday, was outside most of the day (sunglasses). About miday went to the gym (5 mins cardio, very light weights for about 15 mins, sauna 5 mins, whirlpool 5 mins; nothing special). Worked on computer for about 2hrs. Watched TV for a while.

Left Eye - After about a week I started seeing a small amount of ghosting / double vision in low light. This has been consistent for the last two weeks. My doc says its part of the natural healing process.

The funny thing is I've been worrying about the left eye and now the right has gone south. Today I saw doc but didn't think too much about last night since I figured I was just dry or something like that. Doc indicated a little bit of dryness but flap and eye looked good. But that fact that tonight, my night vision in right is crap, getting concerned.

Note I've been using Systane Ultra about every 1-2 hrs and still on Omnipred for 1/day dose.

What did I get myself into???
Hi! I feel your anxiety and pain - I had conventional ILasik done on 1-15-2010 and, like you, have wondered the same at times - but I have to remember that I spent thirty years severely myopic minus -12.00 on each eye with endless contact and glasses issues; please give yourself time to heal - my eyes continue "to do battle" and my doc reminded me that in my case it was major eye surgery; I have also been rather physically lazy during these last seven weeks - besides work which involves lots of computer time I'm truly taking it easy - my waistline could use some activity but that will come in time; the dry eyes are pesky and I have tried just about all preservative free drops - the restasis is tricky too; halos are better now but oncoming lights at night are definitely more noticed now;
hang in there - best wishes to you!

Closed Thread