It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
For those of you that are worried about your surgery results...

I had LASIK done in December of 2006. Before that, I had horrible vision! I wore contacts and glasses for 20 something years, and was happy enough with them, but they did make certain activities (swimming, camping, river rafting, etc....) a bit more difficult. So at my husband's encouraging, I did a lot of research and chose to have lasik done.

It's the best decision I've ever made!

YES.... I had terribly blurry vision in my left eye shortly following the surgery, and it lasted for several months. It totally freaked me out! I was certain I'd made a horrible mistake and that I would be needing adjustments or that I would be doomed to wearing contacts and glasses forever! I just KNEW that the doctor had screwed up and that they did it wrong, and that I'd spent all that money for nothing, etc.....

Turns out, it does take a good 2-6 months for eyes to fully heal after lasik! Nobody ever mentioned that to me, so I just assumed it didn't work right. I also had very dry eyes and needed to use LOTS of tears (I found the Walmart brand of artificial tears worked as well or better than the expensive stuff).... nobody ever mentioned that dry eyes can cause blurry vision, either! You'd think that would be common sense, but when it comes to eyes, panic happens a lot faster, and is a much stronger emotion than common sense!

ANYWAY....

So I've had better than perfect vision for about 3 years now (I would say I was pretty much healed and seeing perfectly by June of 2007).

A couple of weeks ago, for the first time ever in my life, I went swimming and opened my eyes under the water and was able to see clearly and it didn't hurt my eyes at all!!! It was so amazing!!!

If you're thinking about lasik, I highly recommend it! If you've had lasik, and are suffering with blurry vision, halos, dry eyes, floaties, etc.... give it some time and use lots of tears! It is SOOOOOO worth it in the end!!!

Last edited by marisuela; 06-17-2010 at 06:07 AM.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: marisuela
Beckles83 (04-21-2011), cem7 (05-13-2011), mcvities53 (01-23-2011)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marisuela For This Useful Post:
Beckles83 (04-21-2011), klasik (11-17-2012), shady lady (02-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
(male)

19K HB User
Thumbs up Re: For those of you that are worried about your surgery results.....

Thank you for your posting, I had Lasik done 3 weeks ago and still have a little blurred vision and have some starburst at night and I too started to worry.But after reading your post I am a little more at ease. Thank You for posting this.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

inspirated HB User
Re: For those of you that are worried about your surgery results.....

Just wanted to thank you for sharing. I am thinking I made a life changing decision that backfired. I am realy discouraged and even though I am taking my tome it is really awful . I feel dizzy, strained, headachy, and am tired of not seeing right when i am looking at anything.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
(male)

19K HB User

Hey trust me your eye's do some weird stuff after the procedure, but not to worry it just takes time. I too got headaches and yes it does get frustrating that the sharpness in the vision isn't there but it will come i can notice a difference in my sharpness already. Just hang in there and let the eye's heal you will be fine.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
(female)

inspirated HB User
Wink Re: For those of you that are worried about your surgery results.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
Hey trust me your eye's do some weird stuff after the procedure, but not to worry it just takes time. I too got headaches and yes it does get frustrating that the sharpness in the vision isn't there but it will come i can notice a difference in my sharpness already. Just hang in there and let the eye's heal you will be fine.
Thanks for the info. The sharpness really is an unforseen misery. Can you tell me how long it's been since your surgery and what your surgeon said about the sharpness before it cleared up?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to inspirated For This Useful Post:
klasik (11-17-2012)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
(male)

19K HB User

Well i have been three and a half weeks out, My sharpness isn't all the way there yet seems to come and go at times. What i was told is that the sharpness will come in time and also the age and health factor comes into play. I myself just give myself little vision test's at home you know look at something and then as the weeks pass look at the object or picture to see if i can tell a difference. Then only thing that i have read is the night vision which is true, I cannot wait too get my night vision back to normal, but i have heard that that can take a couple month's even up to six month's. So i will give it more time that is the main thing just give it time and trust me there are day's where I am like "Did I make the right decision?" But after i think about it I believe it was the right decision. Hope this help's, keep all of us updated on your progress.

Take Care.

Last edited by 19K; 09-01-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
(male)

metalwerk HB User

I had lasik 20 days ago. Everything went fine but left eye felt very irritated. Surgeon said the top flap edge was inflammed and the inflamation was spreading under the flap. He relifted the flap and rinsed out the inflammation and replaced it.

It's healing fine but the left eye is blurry. Lights smear slightly to the right and up. What's weird is during the last 2 days, my vision has been perfect in the morning, but after 30 mins the left eyes blurs a little and by the afternoon it's quite blurry. The left eye also feels drier by the afternoon so I keep putting in drops. Fortunately my right eye is perfect so driving and working isn't a problem.

Surgeon says give it another 3 weeks and assured me the vision would clear up over time.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
(male)

19K HB User

Metalwerk, Don't worry about the blurry vision it will come and go my eye's have been doing the same thing, and actually my left eye see's a little better then my right and the dryness in my left is almost gone which is weird because that eye was under the laser for 1m 48sec. i am sitting at 20/25 right now in both eye's but that can change if not i will get the touch up but coming from 20/400 it is a definet improvement. Just a little tip buy the artificial tears from Walmart or Family Dollar will save you some money. Take Care..

Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
(male)

mjos009 HB User

i had my iLasik surgery 6 weeks before and i can still see starbursts/halos ( whatever they call them ) . They are making me mad . Do anyone have any idea how much time they take to heal ? i had second opinion with a doctor and he told me that no sideeffects are permanent in iLasik ( keeping my fingers crossed ) ...

Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
(female)

inspirated HB User

i hear you. I am 3 and a half months post lasik now. had a check last week. Dryness is the culprit but it's improving slightly over time but not fantastic. I have to be patient. Also when I touched my eyelids to wash etc. they were somewhat tender. i aske dthe Dr. about it and he gave me some prescription drops ( anti-inflammatory and analgesic , think it is Volteren) Thi shelped and I am glad I remembered to mention it as I thought it was part of the healing process. The gel tears didn't help any more than the regular ones for dryness, neither the little tube that is thick and used at night.

The halos are supposed to go away in time. I hav espoken to people who say it took a few months.
Good luck and hang in there. I am just starting to relax and the eye strain form the filmy fog type vision and light sensitivity is going slow....ly, very slow...ly.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
(female)

shady lady HB User

i was feeling pretty crappy this a.m. about my results post op day 2. i know, its early. when i read your story it really made me feel a lot better & a lot more hopeful that mine will heal properly as well. i ge tfrustrated & worried & sound just like everyhting you wrote, but i guess this is how god is teaching me patience. what a wake up call for me. thank you for your post, it was very reassuring for me.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
(male)

19K HB User

Well thank you and just to update i just went to another check up this week and both my eyes together are 20/20 my right eye by itself is 20/21 but coming from 20/400 and slight astigmatism in both eye's i am very happy. Now just to let you know the dryness may drive you crazy lol i spent about $70.00 dollars in eye drops alone, but try to ask your doctor where you got the lasik done for some free samples. I thank god that this technology exists. Well hope you enjoy your new vision just give it time and you will love it.

Take Care.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
(female)

inspirated HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady lady View Post
i was feeling pretty crappy this a.m. about my results post op day 2. i know, its early. when i read your story it really made me feel a lot better & a lot more hopeful that mine will heal properly as well. i ge tfrustrated & worried & sound just like everyhting you wrote, but i guess this is how god is teaching me patience. what a wake up call for me. thank you for your post, it was very reassuring for me.
It's February and several months since my July lasik. I still have halos driving at night. The lasting difficulty I have is now for sure dry eyes even with constant hydrating drops. i feel like my vision is a bit blurry but I know now it is from dryness.
You will be happier and less worried as time goes on. Be careful not to rub your eyes and for sure keep the drops to moisturize them * very important.
Be patient and let the eyes heal and adapt to the process and the time it takes. I sometimes think we are so busy in our normal lives it is nervewracking to wait - we compare ourselves and our patience but in the end it will work out if you do what you need to. It is early days for you.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
(female)

shady lady HB User

thank u & i will keep you posted.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
(female)

Beckles83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
YES.... I had terribly blurry vision in my left eye shortly following the surgery, and it lasted for several months. It totally freaked me out! I was certain I'd made a horrible mistake and that I would be needing adjustments or that I would be doomed to wearing contacts and glasses forever! I just KNEW that the doctor had screwed up and that they did it wrong, and that I'd spent all that money for nothing, etc.....

Turns out, it does take a good 2-6 months for eyes to fully heal after lasik! Nobody ever mentioned that to me, so I just assumed it didn't work right. I also had very dry eyes and needed to use LOTS of tears (I found the Walmart brand of artificial tears worked as well or better than the expensive stuff).... nobody ever mentioned that dry eyes can cause blurry vision, either! You'd think that would be common sense, but when it comes to eyes, panic happens a lot faster, and is a much stronger emotion than common sense!
You don't know how much peace these two paragraphs have given me. I'm about 2 1/2 months out from my surgery and I feel as though I'm having problems with blurry vision in my right eye. The worries you described sound like me... The doctor says my vision is perfect, and I am functioning. My right eye just drives me crazy feeling "off". Sometimes it is more noticeable than other times.(Actually my left eye is the weaker of the two, but my right eye is the one that feels off. It's strange how your eyes compensate for slight weakness)

What you said though, just resonated so well with me. I think whenever my eyes are really bothering me and I'm really doubting my decision I'm going to come here and re-read your post. THANK YOU!!!

Reply Reply