It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

flexy633 HB User
Good Reviews on Lasik???

So, does anyone have anything good to say about Lasik surgery? All I see are negative comments on this board. Where are the positive results? I know they are out there because everyone that I talk to in real life tells me this is the best thing they ever did in their life. They love that they can swim with their eyes open, can see what they're doing in the shower, can see the alarm clock when they wake up, etc.

I'm going for a consultation on Feb. 1 with a world renowned surgeon and again, the reviews I read on him at a different board on the Internet were nothing but rave reviews.

I'd like to know what type of surgery those that are disappointed had. There is LasEK for those that have thin corneas and then there is regular Lasik. There is also Bladeless/Custom Lasik where they fine tune your eye for more crisp vision. The place I'm going to also does PRK and implantable contact lenses.

Just interested in hearing more about this from others and what type of surgery you actually had done.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
(male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User
Re: Good Reviews on Lasik???

Hey flexyi had bladeless, custom intralase surgery with a high myopia -8.75 ( nearsighted) in both eyes almost 3 months ago.Since then there has not been a day that goes by that i dont regret this decision. I was undercorrected in 1 eye, Other eye is 20-20. Dry eyes going into this and worse coming out.( no one explained this to me). Left with huge halos and startbursts post surgery that have not cleared up.Just general not feeling right with my eyes. Everyone is different. So the only advice that i have for you is keep reading about this procedure. Its bad news. Long term is unknown. (future problems may arrise with the cornea being permantly changed).As for you finding a "world renowned " surgeon.... The surgeons ONLY care about hearing good news from you about your surgery. So what im saying is that they have no answers if you come back complaining about dry eyes, night vision and any other complications that may arrise.Thats because this is an unknown and there are no solutions if problems arrise.You will then be given the pat answer and that is.........." Just give it time", a phony smile and words like " oh your corneas look great'.. In closing just keep reading and ask plenty of questions!Good luck and keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
(female)

flexy633 HB User

Hi, Regret. I've read your other messages about your problems. I'm so sorry that it didn't work out for you. Can you get contacts again? That will be one of my questions regarding halos/starbursts and if that happens to me, can I wear contacts.

A gal I work with said she didn't have any of those problems. She did use the drops and tears and said the artificial tears are key to healing. But, she had it done in 2007 and said that she probably only used the tears one time last year!

I also know someone else who had it done in 1998 and still says this is the best thing she ever did. She's 46 now and doesn't need reading glasses either.

Yes, I am doing plenty of research on the different procedures before I have my consultation. Who knows, they may tell me I'm not a good candidate and all of this worrying will have been for nothing.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
(male)

Flexy.. im glad you are gonna take your time and look into this.As i jumped into it without one bit of resesarch till after the fact.For me i think my problems stem from my dry eyes and large script.I am using those artificial tear drops and restasis also. Keep me updated on your visit!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

aainaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexy633 View Post
So, does anyone have anything good to say about Lasik surgery? All I see are negative comments on this board. Where are the positive results? I know they are out there because everyone that I talk to in real life tells me this is the best thing they ever did in their life. They love that they can swim with their eyes open, can see what they're doing in the shower, can see the alarm clock when they wake up, etc.

I'm going for a consultation on Feb. 1 with a world renowned surgeon and again, the reviews I read on him at a different board on the Internet were nothing but rave reviews.

I'd like to know what type of surgery those that are disappointed had. There is LasEK for those that have thin corneas and then there is regular Lasik. There is also Bladeless/Custom Lasik where they fine tune your eye for more crisp vision. The place I'm going to also does PRK and implantable contact lenses.

Just interested in hearing more about this from others and what type of surgery you actually had done.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had custom (wavefront) bladeless (intralase) Lasik with a VisX laser at TLC Eye Center yesterday 1/24/2011. I was freaking out going into it because of all the negative reviews here. But like you, everyone I talked to said overwhelmingly positive things about their experiences. My parents had it done 10 years ago and are still 20/20 in their 60s. I was expecting a rough recovery but so far it's been very painless. My eyes are a bit gritty right now but I've been on the computer most of the day. I started out with bad astigmatism at about -3.00 diopters per eye. I couldn't even see the big 'E' (worse than 20/400). Now I am about 20/25 to 20/30. The worst part so far is the nasty taste the steroid drops leave in my throat as they drain from my tea ducts. Sure my rx will change over the coming weeks; I'll try to update my results here. This board really could use more positive experiences; it scared the bejeezus out of me! I almost didn't do it, but am so far very glad I did

Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I had custom bladeless lasik done in December 2007 and my only regret is that I didn't do it long before then. It is a scary thing, there's no question about that. My consult was about 1.5 hours with lots of testing and questions. Don't let them rush you in and out of there before you feel totally comfortable with the surgery. I was in a lot of pain after the surgery and the numbing meds wore off. I didn't think to ask for any meds for when I went home. I took advil and kept my eyes closed for 4-5 hours afterwards. When I woke up, my vision was crystal clear and the pain was gone. The next day my eyes were tested at 20/20 for each. I had slight dry eyes and was given Restasis. I used it for about 2 weeks. Everything has been great ever since.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #7
(female)

flexy633 HB User

Glad to hear that a couple of you had good experiences.

I went for my consultation at TLC last night. After wearing my dang glasses for three weeks, I come to find out that I am not a candidate. My corneas are too thin and coupled with the high astigmastism that I have, they can't even do PRK on me.

The doctor did give me a referral to an expert who is the pioneer on PRK and preventing haze. But, I'm not going to see him.

He told me that the contact lenses I have (Synergyes hybrid) are the best lenses you can wear, if you have to wear contacts. So, I'm going to make an appointment with my eye doctor and have a new exam and get two new pairs of these lenses.

I'm a little disappointed, but not as bad as I thougth I'd be. Only trouble I have is the fact that I put all of this money on my flexible medical spending account and will have to think of a way to use it all up by the end of the year.

I was not that thrilled about the idea of getting PRK. And then, they told me that after the surgery, I wouldn't be able to wear makeup for 11-14 days! The technician also told me that with PRK, I'd be down for 7 days. That is NOT what I've heard from others who have had PRK. Then, dilating the eyes and needing a ride home, needing a ride home the day of the surgery, and needing a ride home on the Monday after your first follow-up was more than enough for me to say, "This is just too much."

Plus, the doctor said that since I wore the hybrid lenses (part gas perm/part soft), I'd have to be out of my contacts for another three weeks before they'd even touch my eyes. So, that would have been 6 weeks in glasses.

Guess it just wasn't meant to be. Good luck to all others who decide to go through with the surgery! Just make sure you go to a reputable place and ask lots of questions.

Last edited by flexy633; 02-09-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
(male)

hey flexy i was curious as to how you made on your consult. to say im happy you were disqualified is an understatement! now that does not mean it would of been a disaster or not have worked. i just feel this is bad stuff and not safe at all. so if one person is able to avoid it well im happy! in an ironic twist i had a visit with my od last week and he said he turned down 3 people for lasik.. and i thought out loud why couldnt it have been me! needless to say every visit to him i make it known im mad as hell and know it makes him uncomfortable.. flexy.. enjoy those glasses!

The following user gives a hug of support to Regret eyes:
flexy633 (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
(female)

flexy633 HB User

OMG, did you actually say out loud, "Why couldn't I have been turned down?"

Honestly, I'm not that disappointed anymore. I have an appointment with my eye doctor on Saturday and will be getting new contacts. I'm going to work with her to get these fitted properly.

I put the contacts back on yesterday. I wasn't about to wear the glasses when I no longer have to! They wanted me out of my contacts for three weeks prior to the consultation visit because they want to make sure the corneas are back to normal.

Makes me wonder how many places do NOT do that before the tests and that could be why people aren't getting satisfying results? I also wonder how many places check your eyes again before they do the procedure. What if they changed again after the initial tests were done?

Regret Eyes, I thought of you a lot the last few weeks and wondered if I was doing the right thing. But, at least I found out.

I'll tell you, what you hear on the Internet and what these places tell you in person are two different things. The people I talked to at work who had Lasik said they were wearing makeup on that Monday following the surgery (three days after). But, I was told that you can't for two weeks! Nobody talks about this. For a woman who wears makeup every single day, that's pretty tramautizing having to go to work without her "face" on.

Nobody on the internet has mentioned being "down" for a week after having PRK. These people make it sound as if they were doing everything normally after two or three days.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
(female)

flexy633 HB User

Oh, yeah and I forgot to mention all the dang follow ups you have to go to. OMG. You have your first follow-up the day after the surgery, then one week later, then a month later, then three months later, and then again three months later, and then six months later, and then after one year. Yikes! That would drive me nuts.

I told my boyfriend, I wish they would come up with a surgery that you just take out your contacts the night before, go there the next day, they do it, and BOOM you can see great.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
(male)

flexy im cracking up about the makeup concerns! good stuff. as a general rule contacts are supposed to be out to the equal of 1 week per year prior to surgery. thats what i was told. as for the testing i went through the battery of tests prior including dilation too. it all didnt matter anyway... your last sentence is kind of funny in that this is exactly what they promise you!the boom you can see great in 10 minutes.. well im done rambling. good luck on the contact fittings and take your time and have patience till you get a good fit. thanks for the kind words . its appreciated very much. ill keep ya posted on my progress. thanks for the hug!

Closed Thread