It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
(male)

Wilson777 HB User
Corneal Abrasion during Lasik

I recently had custom blade-less lasik 12 days ago. The procedure was a snap and I felt no pain at all. I woke up the next morning and felt like I had an eyelash in my left eye. I had both eyes done in the same surgery.

It was uncomfortable, but was not painful. Anyway, I went in for my day after evaluation and my right eye was great....... But not the left.

My doctor said I had a "good size" epithelial abrasion on my left eye. He placed a clear contact on it and I kept using all of the drops as he directed.

The next day I went in again. He said that the abrasion has healed and he could see a seam where the epithelium came together, like a cut would heal.

After that he said I was good and he would see me for my 1 week evaluation. I went in for that and my right eye was perfect 20/20, but my left eye was at -2.50!!!!!!!!

WHAT??? That's basically where I was before the surgery. My left eye is SUPER blurry, but healed.....

My question is this: Did the LASIK work? How long should I wait for my vision to clear up? It has been 12 days and I have not seen any improvement.

I'm trying not to over think this.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Wilson777; 05-30-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: small editing issue

Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
Re: Corneal Abrasion during Lasik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson777 View Post
I recently had custom blade-less lasik 12 days ago. The procedure was a snap and I felt no pain at all. I woke up the next morning and felt like I had an eyelash in my left eye. I had both eyes done in the same surgery.

It was uncomfortable, but was not painful. Anyway, I went in for my day after evaluation and my right eye was great....... But not the left.

My doctor said I had a "good size" epithelial abrasion on my left eye. He placed a clear contact on it and I kept using all of the drops as he directed.

The next day I went in again. He said that the abrasion has healed and he could see a seam where the epithelium came together, like a cut would heal.

After that he said I was good and he would see me for my 1 week evaluation. I went in for that and my right eye was perfect 20/20, but my left eye was at -2.50!!!!!!!!

WHAT??? That's basically where I was before the surgery. My left eye is SUPER blurry, but healed.....

My question is this: Did the LASIK work? How long should I wait for my vision to clear up? It has been 12 days and I have not seen any improvement.

I'm trying not to over think this.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks everyone!
Hi Wilson,
Congrats on having the Lasik done. Sorry to hear that you got an abrasion on your left eye. Unfortunately that can happen to anyone during surgery for whatever reasons. If your dr said you had a "good size" abrasion, it could also mean that your cornea was swollen. That generally happens after surgery anyways. Swollen cornea can induce myopia. I know you are very concerned of the outcome, but give it some more time for the cornea to completely settle down. You know that being anxious at this point will not help with your condition but just give you more stress. If you can, stop closing one eye at a time to check the progress of your vision in your bad eye. In the worst case scenario, you may need an enhancement to get rid of the remaining nearsightedness at a later time. I know this is not what you had expected, it is really unfortunate that it happened to you or anyone for that matter. But the only thing you can do now is continue with the drops (if necessary) and go for your 2 week follow up and try to think positive.
As for your question about the laser not working, did you hear the clicking sound while the dr was working on your left eye? Did it feel the same as while the right eye was worked on? At this point, just try your best to relax and don't over think it (easier said than done, but try your best). Good luck! Keep us posted!
Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to earthworm88 For This Useful Post:
Wilson777 (05-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
(male)

bunnystar1 HB User

During my LASIK procedure (9 days ago) I developed a small corneal abrasion in my right eye. During the first night, both eyes burned a bit, but my right eye was extremely tearful. The next morning it felt uncomfortable to open both eyes, but especially my right eye. I had a follow-up appointment that morning with an assistant doctor who told me of the corneal abrasion. I was then sent to another location where the Lasik surgeon was working that day. I was really irritated that I had this problem. I kept thinking to myself, "just my luck".

My surgeon verified that there was indeed an abrasion and that he'd place a contact lens on my eye to help it heal and make it more comfortable. As soon as he placed the contact lens in my right eye, it felt 100% better. I could immediately open my eye and there was no discomfort. He also numbed the eye, so that helped. As the numbness wore off my eye still felt comfortable. The contact lens was removed 3 days later and my eye still felt comfortable because the abrasion had healed.

Unfortunately, due the corneal abrasion my right eye is still slightly blurred. It has been 9 days now and I'm really irritated. My vision is much better in the right eye (before surgery) but still blurry. It's annoying especially if I'm watching TV. I was told to place the prednisone anti-inflammatory drops in my eyes every 4 hours because my eye is inflamed / swollen at the location of the corneal abrasion. My left eye is perfect, but with my right eye being slightly blurry I'm irritated that I have this problem.

I will see my Lasik Surgeon in 3 days and he mentioned that if I'm still having the same problem he may lift the flap to flush things out so it heals faster. He's concerned about lifting the flap because he doesn't want to create another abrasion. I'm not really happy about him potentially doing this.

It seems 3 days ago my right eye had cleared up a lot but the next day it was blurry again. I was extremely disappointed and since then it is still blurry.

Wilson777, have you seen any improvement as yet?

Last edited by bunnystar1; 06-05-2011 at 10:22 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunnystar1 For This Useful Post:
Wilson777 (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
(male)

Wilson777 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Corneal Abrasion during Lasik

Thanks Bunnystar1 for the reply. It has been 18 days now and my vision is still blurry...... It has gotten a little better, but it still sucks. I don't know what to think! I have read where people will go for 6 to 8 weeks with this blurry vision after an abrasion and that's normal. I hate to even consider that time frame as normal.

I will say that even though my abrasion healed in 1 day, with the bandage contact, I can still feel where it was. I can still feel that there was an abrasion, but it doesn't hurt or anything.

I'm going on vacation in two weeks and really hope my vision clears up by that time. My right eye is CRYSTAL CLEAR and I think that makes the blurry vision in my left eye worse. I need to stop comparing the two.

Thankfully, since my right eye is so clear, it does offset my left eye quite a bit. I have not been using ointment at night and am going to start. When I wake up in the morning, my eyes are really dry and I know that has to slow down the healing process from the abrasion.

Have you used any ointments? I am just using artificial tears now. My eyes are not dry at all during the day, but I notice that my vision clears a bit when I use the tears.

Well, I hope you are well and I'm sorry I can't respond and tell you my vision is crystal clear and you can start counting the days until you have clear vision.

Keep me posted on what your doc says.

Last edited by Wilson777; 06-05-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Old 06-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

Hi there!
Wilson, sorry to hear that the vision in your left eye has not improved greatly. By now I am sure you had your 2 week post op. Did the doc say anything about any swelling of the cornea? Were there other eyedrops recommended for the left eye? The doc should be able to tell if there is any debris trapped under the flap or if the cornea is swollen and should manage it with the appropriate treatment. One interest thing you mentioned was that you could feel the abrasion. What do you mean by that? If someone could "feel" the abrasion, that usually means pain or discomfort. It is best to keep that eye lubricated during the day as well cuz you do not want to have an erosion. Celluvisc is great for night time. Sounds like you didn't get your concerns addressed by your doctor from your response. Have you considered second opinion?

Bunny, sorry to hear about your right eye. If there is any debris trapped under the flap due to the inflammation, it is best to get it flushed. Just have to pray that there will be no abrasion the second time, but abrasion is better to have than having debris and inflammatory cells under the flap which won't go away and heal.

Good luck to the both of you! I know how frustrating and extremely annoying this can be, so be patient.
Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to earthworm88 For This Useful Post:
Wilson777 (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
(male)

Wilson777 HB User

Thanks for writing back earthworm88! I had my one week visit with my doc and he said everything looked so good that he didn't need to see me until I was 1 month out. I'm guessing that I don't have any debris in my eye, but maybe I should request an early visit.

He didn't mention swelling at my 1 week checkup. He said to keep using the Prednisolone drops, but to stop using the Ofloxacin drops. I'm guessing everything looks good, but I'm not 100% sure on my end.

When I mentioned that I could still feel where the abrasion was, It's still a little sore. Kinda like when you have a cut that has healed, but is still a little tender after it has healed. I can still "feel" where it was.

Is a second opinion something I should look into? I know it couldn't hurt.

Thanks again for your response! I wish I could get a few more of them.....

Old 06-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
(male)

bunnystar1 HB User

I have been using the lubricant eye drops several times a per day and anti-inflammation drops every 4 hours per my doctors recommendations. However, I’ve seen no improvement. As I stated before, one day it seemed to get a lot better, but the next day it was worse.

As stated my doctor did mention he may lift the flap to flush it, so there may be debris underneath I'm guessing. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but I agree with earthworm88 that if there is debris I want it removed. I may move my appointment up to tomorrow or Tuesday because this blurry vision is really annoying.

Wilson777, I would be very unhappy if 18 days from now I still have the same problem, so I feel your pain. I went to the movies this evening with my wife and I couldn't really enjoy the movie because one eye is blurry. I just can't get use to it. I'm now happy I didn't get the mono because it would drive me crazy.

Wilson777, it seems you have to get a second opinion if your doctor is not helping you find a solution to your problem. He should be telling you how to treat your eye and if things don't improve what's the next step. If you are feeling something in your eye that is not good. Something maybe stuck below the flap and it needs to be flushed out as earthworm88 stated.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on what my doctor tells me when I see him again.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunnystar1 For This Useful Post:
Wilson777 (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
(male)

bunnystar1 HB User

earthworm88, what do you do for a living? You sound very knowledgeable about this. Just curious.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:

He didn't mention swelling at my 1 week checkup. He said to keep using the Prednisolone drops, but to stop using the Ofloxacin drops. I'm guessing everything looks good, but I'm not 100% sure on my end.

When I mentioned that I could still feel where the abrasion was, It's still a little sore. Kinda like when you have a cut that has healed, but is still a little tender after it has healed. I can still "feel" where it was.

Is a second opinion something I should look into? I know it couldn't hurt.
Hi Wilson777,
Do you mean to say that after the 1 week post op, your doc is still asking you to use Pred for another 3 weeks until he sees you at 1 month post op? This indirectly implies that you have inflammation in that eye? And how did he explain your residual error (-2.50) in that eye then (well, in your case, as if it hadn't been worked on)? Ok. Sounds like your "abrasion" isn't completely gone yet if you still feel some soreness. It is possibly that the abrasion isn't healing nicely which only the doc can tell by looking through the slitlamp, then intervention may be necessary. I know that if it is a simple case of undercorrection (which is too early to confirm), sometimes some corneas just need the extra time to settle down as you probably have read in other threads as our body reacts differently. Please keep in mind that all I have said is hypothesis on my part based on your descriptions. Whether you need a second opinion or now is completely up to you because only you know your relationship with your doc and how comfortable you are with his/her answer Take care. I hope this get sorted out soon before your vacation!
Cheers!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnystar1 View Post
I have been using the lubricant eye drops several times a per day and anti-inflammation drops every 4 hours per my doctors recommendations. However, Iíve seen no improvement. As I stated before, one day it seemed to get a lot better, but the next day it was worse.
Hi bunnystar1,
If your symptom waxes and wanes, it cound be the inflammation or dry eye. Based on the dosage, the inflammation is likely very mild. You said that you were able to "see" 20/20 which in itself is a good sign. Generally with dry eye, it deterioates as the day goes on and being worse in the evening. You seem to be on top of this with your doc, so it's a matter of evaluating the current state of your cornea (and in correspond to your current vision) and carry out the appropriate management plan. Wish you the best of luck and hope it all get sorted out soon. I know you have probably asked yourself a thousand times "why me?" but unfortunately these things happen, and the most important thing is that as long as there is a solution, then it will not be a problem for long. So hang in there. As for your other question, I used to co-manage Lasik patients in my other life eons ago

Cheers!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #11
(male)

Wilson777 HB User

Hey earthworm. I may have stated that incorrectly. He said for me to use the Prednisolone for a total of two weeks from the day of surgery forward.

I believe the abrasion is healed based on what he said. He saw me two days after surgery and took off the bandage contact. When he did, he explained that the two sides of the abrasion came together and healed overnight. He said it was like two sides of a cut coming together to heal.

I am going to call him this morning to make an appointment to come in early. I can't wait until the 18th. I need to know if I have made ANY progress in my left eye or NO progress.

I didn't pay thousands of dollars for this!!!!!!!!!!

I will keep you all posted.

Wish me luck...

Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
(male)

Wilson777 HB User

OH MY GOD! I just got back from my early appt with my LASIK doc and can't believe what he had to say!

He was pretty short from the moment he walked in. This was probably due to the fact that I had to be worked in the schedule, but I would have appreciated a little more courtesy from my "doctor!"

We go through the motions and I start asking him, "do I have a wrinkle in my flap, a buildup of epithelial cells under the flap, debris under the flap, corneal haze, etc." He says to me ,"notice how quiet I am. I'm doing this because we have to wait until the end of the examination to give you your results."

I didn't appreciate the attitude one bit. Then the end of the exam comes.

He tells me that my left eye, the problem eye, is healing perfectly. No scratches, tears, wrinkles, etc. My right eye is also perfectly healing.

My right eye is at 20/20, but my left is at 20/30. So I ask, why is that?

He proceeds to tell me that, "I commonly under-correct one eye to aid in nearsightedness later on in life." WHAT??? I didn't ask for, nor did I PAY for an under-correction. ***? Is this really happening? The surgery, after all, worked perfectly. It's just that the doc CHOSE to under-correct one of my eyes without telling me that's what he planned all along.

WHAT? I don't know what to do now. He told me to wait for another two months and everything would even out. My vision would be fine and after another two months, three total, he would decide if I needed an enhancement or not.

I can't believe this. This is bull&$%#!!! Now, I'm wondering if I have legal grounds to sue this jerk or not.

I'm staring a new thread, I need help.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
(male)

bunnystar1 HB User

Quote:
OH MY GOD! I just got back from my early appt with my LASIK doc and can't believe what he had to say!

He was pretty short from the moment he walked in. This was probably due to the fact that I had to be worked in the schedule, but I would have appreciated a little more courtesy from my "doctor!"

We go through the motions and I start asking him, "do I have a wrinkle in my flap, a buildup of epithelial cells under the flap, debris under the flap, corneal haze, etc." He says to me ,"notice how quiet I am. I'm doing this because we have to wait until the end of the examination to give you your results."

He tells me that my left eye, the problem eye, is healing perfectly. No scratches, tears, wrinkles, etc. My right eye is also perfectly healing.

He proceeds to tell me that, "I commonly under-correct one eye to aid in nearsightedness later on in life." WHAT??? I didn't ask for, nor did I PAY for an under-correction. ***? Is this really happening? The surgery, after all, worked perfectly. It's just that the doc CHOSE to under-correct one of my eyes without telling me that's what he planned all along.

WHAT? I don't know what to do now. He told me to wait for another two months and everything would even out. My vision would be fine and after another two months, three total, he would decide if I needed an enhancement or not.

I can't believe this. This is bull&$%#!!! Now, I'm wondering if I have legal grounds to sue this jerk or not.

That is horrible! Sorry to hear about your problem. Something doesn't sound right to me. No doctor is gonna intentionally under/over-correct one eye without telling you. This was given to me as an option which is "monovision". I had to sign a document stating I wanted both eyes treated the same for distance.

Sounds to me like the doctor already knows your eye is under-corrected in addition to the cornea abrasion. Maybe your eye is now fine from the cornea abrasion, but its under-corrected and you do need an enhancement. I was told by my doctor that there is a 10% chance of under/over correction before surgery.

I called my doctor's office today to see if I can get in before Wednesday but he won't be available until Wednesday.

Fortunately, today my vision is a little better in my right eye. I won't get too happy because a few days ago, it was better and then the next day it got worse.

You should definitely get a second opinion. Your vision is way too valuable to have it screwed up.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
(male)

Wilson777 HB User

I was just thinking about this and wondering if I should get a second opinion from an ophthalmologist or a different lasik surgeon.

Which would be better?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:

My goodness! Sounded like your doctor needs a course in chair-side ettiquette. As a patient, I would be livid to hear that the surgeon did something without my consent. It is both unethical and unprofessional. You as a consumer is paying for the service you want, not what he wants. If deliberate undercorrection was his general practice, he needs to make it known to the patient. Generally your consent form should indicate what type of correction will be done ie monovision, both eyes for distance etc as bunnystar stated. So try to get a copy of the consent form you signed.

It is good news that according to him, the cornea is looking good. Wilson777, if you do not mind me asking, how old are you now? In the meantime, let's work with what we have. A general ophthalmologist, a lasik surgeon, or a good optometrist will be able to tell you the state of your cornea and the residual prescription and vision if you want a second opinion. In the meantime, try to calm down (yes, easier said!) and again, stop comparing your eyes and give your brain a chance to readapt. Whether it was truly intentional or unintentional undercorrection of one eye, the deed has been done. If you are approaching 40s, then you can come to appreciate this more. But I can completely understand how angry and upset you are because this was not what you asked for in the first place.

Good luck with everything and take care. Enhancement was not what you were looking for, but at least there is a solution to this problem. Hang in there!
Cheers!

Closed Thread