It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

phlowers HB User
Lasiks- My story & Progress

I had lasiks done on 5/7 so I'm about 2 1/2 weeks out. I am a little disappointed in that I heard stories of people coming out of surgery being able to see 20/20. I've been waiting to get this done for years and needed to wait until my vision stabilized. It did and has been at a -6 for 2 years. I purchased the traditional lasiks because my cornea is thin and wanted to leave them room to make any corrections.

At my 1 week follow up they tested my eyes and I was scared because the chart was so blurry. I was reading 20/30 each eye and together reading 20/25ish. That same Monday I woke up that morning and was so blurry it looked as if I was looking through water. I used so many drops that day I think I blew through a 70 pack of refresh drops (which are $15 a box!). I made an appt because I was worried, the next day the foggy-blurriness went away but I still wasn't seeing clearly enough. I went into my appointment now this was 2 weeks out of surgery to read 20/30 each eye and 20/20 both but missing like 2 letters.

I think I figured out some of my problem, I sometimes sleep with my eye cracked open so I started wearing a sleeping mask and using gel drops along with the natural tears. That has helped a lot, but I'm still not where I thought I'd be. I'm taking krill oil, drink tons of water, resting my eyes, using these drops like it's going out of style, ordered a TranquilEyes Eye Hydrating Therapy Kit that should be here by the end of this week. When I use my drops it's crystal clear and then about 5 blinks later it's back to where I am.

My night vision on the other hand isn't bad and I thought it would be. I don't have halos, more like crescent moons, no starbursts, no ghosting so I'm happy about that. My natural light vision is not bad either when I'm outside, but when driving the street lights are harder to see now then with contacts.

Can someone out there give me hope, I got the surgery so that I can go swimming and do water sports on my honeymoon next April but now I'm starting to regret my decision. I want to pick up a bottle of allergy drops so bad and use them but I can't argh!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by phlowers; 05-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

phlowers HB User
Re: Lasiks- My story & Progress

MAY 27th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well here I am a few days from the above post and things have made a huge turn for the better for now. They blurriness is gone, I can see clear images and things are much more on point than before. I was testing my vision by seeing if I can read my microwave clock first thing in the morning from my hallwaw going into my kitchen as I could with contacts. After the surgery I could never read unless I was right up on it. Now I can see it from the hallway!!! The only thing that I'm having trouble with are things like faces from a distance it's hard to see peoples features like I used to but I'm sure it's due to my dry eye. I also got my TranquilEyes Eye Hydrating Therapy Kit yesterday and slept with it for the first time last night. My dryness is so much better I'm not going through the refresh drops nearly as fast as before. I'll keep updating as I progress.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

phlowers HB User

JULY 8th

Time for an update. Well it's been a LONG 2 months post surgery. The last I posted things were going good UNTIL I had my one month post op appt and the dr cleared me to use regular eye drops and since I sleep with my eyes cracked open he suggested using lacrilube gel while I sleep. So I left the post op appt reading 20/20 missing a letter. Went home used the lacrilube and woke up seeing like I did the day after surgery. Blurry I mean really Blurry!! I was so scared that the lacrilube gel got under the flap, I made an emergency appt and she said the flap was fine and that the lacrilube gel was overkill and that I didn't need that and that it had irritated my eyes. My eyes were blood shot so she gave me a script for Lotemax for the redness and irritation and told me to use the preservative drops again not the bottle. So after a week and a half of blurriness the lacrilube cleared out of my eyes and things were clear again but not as clear as it should be. Then about a week after that my eyes went back to blurry. I noticed that I can look at my eyes in the mirror and see dry spots so that would explain why every time I use drops it's crystal clear for a few blinks then blurry. So I'm suffering from dry eye which is to expected. My left eye seems to be suffering from it more as it's blurrier than my right.

Sigh! So my fiancé told me I'm not giving it enough time to stabilize. I said ok maybe you're right. So here I am 2 months out and I've notice a big change in the dry eye. I've been using all preservative free drops even though they cost an arm and a leg. I've been drinking water like crazy, taking Mega Red Krill Oil and Flax Oil Seed pills. Sleeping with my tranquileye sleep goggles with using lubricant gel drops at bed time. My dry eye is MUCH better and I'm not going through drops like before. My left eye is quickly catching up to my right eye which is 20/20 crystal clear!! So excited but still know I've got a long way to go coming from -6 in both eyes.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
(female)

phlowers HB User

JULY 13th

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so this week is a bad week, having a minor set back. Had an emotional weekend and cried and now I'm back to having problems with dry eye Sigh! I had no clue that crying to could take me backwards. I regret it and now am so afraid to cry and I'm emotional from time to time. So now my left eye is back to blurry, right eye is the same clear 20/20. Been drinking water like crazy, using the Krill Oil and Flaxseed oil and crazy drops but it's taking a long time to get me back to where I was, which was "perfect" by the way. So disappointing, now I just wait for it to go back to normal and for my dry eye to calm down again. I just it makes sense your natural tears from crying are very salty so that would explain why it dried me out. Just sucks to have a good stretch of time like that and them BOOM here I am. I'll post back when things are better......

Last edited by phlowers; 08-30-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
(female)

phlowers HB User

JULY 21st

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so a week ago I was in horrible shape AGAIN, now it's stablized and I'm back to normal. I'm even seeing better now then before. I haven't cried since, lol! I have been using drops like crazy as usual but not as much as before. I'm talking all the vitamins still and have another follow up this week. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Last edited by phlowers; 08-30-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

phlowers HB User

JULY 22nd

------------------------------------------------------------

So I thought I would put the vitamins that I'm taking that seem to be helping my dry eye.

Flax Seed Oil
Krill Oil- Mega Red brand
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Mutli- Vitamin
Salmon Oil

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
(female)

phlowers HB User

JULY 29th
-----------------------------------------------------------------

So it's been a week since my last post and my main goals were the following:
More sleep
More drops
Start on a Omega 3 vitamin
More water
No wine
No coffee
I must report that my vision is doing sooooo good, acutally better than it ever has. My dry eye is doing so good right now. Before I could look at my eye and see dry spots, those are gone and I can see where they are moist!! I woke up 3 days in a row without the dry eye feeling and could see first thing in the morning. So before I was using almost a whole 70 pack of sterile drops in 2 days, now it's slowed down to me using about 7 total of the refresh drops and two of the systane drops. So that's 9 drops total in the day. BIG improvement. I'm going to keep at it, but I think that cutting out the wine(liquor dries out the eyes) and the coffee (same thing) it has helped big time!! Vision is better than ever before too, I think a lot of my blurry vision was from the severe dry eye. Until next time!!

Last edited by phlowers; 08-30-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
(female)

phlowers HB User

AUGUST 30th

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So it's been a while since my last update. I've been doing pretty good. So since the last time I added something to the program. A HUMIDIFIER! A cool mist one that I take to work since I'm staring at a computer all day long. I also have one at home now that I run while in the home office and around the house especially when I'm watching tv. It has helped out a lot. I've also stopped partaking in my nightly glass of wine, I KNOW it sucks!! But even the smallest amount of alcohol can disturb the eye and make it dry.

So my vision, it's like in the 3rd month a foggy film was lifted from my eyes, things are clear now. My left eye still has some blurrying. I can't see the microwave clock like I can with my right eye in the morning. I know it's from dry eye, because I can see on my dry days how dry my eye really is just looking in the mirror. These days I've still been taking the fish oils and flax seed oil. I started using hypo-allergenic eye liner and mascara, yes expensive but worth it. By doing all of these new things I've noticed a BIG difference. I can't wait for the dry eye to go away all together but I've heard it can take up 9- 12 months for some people. I'll update soon, I have an eye appt next month.

Last edited by phlowers; 08-30-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
(female)

1Anxious1 HB User

Hi, it's been comforting reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am 11 days post lasik and from a very blurry/squinting/guessing 20/20 line on day 1, I'm now -1 and -1.25. I have no dry eye or swelling and done everything by the book. I'm currently have difficultly seeing road signs etc, until I am almost right ontop of them and I'm so depressed after I was told that they would give me a prescription for driving glasses if I don't improve when I have my 1 month check up. I'm glad your eyes have improved so much and I hope they contiue to do so. Your story has given me hope

The Following User Says Thank You to 1Anxious1 For This Useful Post:
phlowers (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
(female)

phlowers HB User

I'm so glad someone was able to find relief in my story. I feel bad that I haven't posted on here for almost a year. I will tell you how I have been doing thus far.

MAY 2012

UPDATE

I am very pleased with my progress and decision to have Lasiks. I in the beginning stages of healing was very discouraged because people that had it or doctors tell you stories like I was seeing 20/20 the next day or out of the chair. Not the case for me as you can see if you've read previous posts. Now where I am at is pretty good. I have to make another appointment for this month but my wedding and honeymoon interfered with a few of them and since I've been doing so good I haven't rushed back in to the dr just yet.

Since my last post I was using drops frequently like 1 tube per hour now I use one of those tubes a day if that barely. I purchased a sleep mask that is the best thing since sliced bread it's called Alpha Eye Dry Eye Relief Mask you can find on Dream Essentials website. It comes with a plastic cover for your eyes that holds in moisture while you sleep. 2 months after sleeping with it every night my vision has improved big time and the dry eye has improved greatly. I've trimmed down my supplements and only take the flax seed oils, taking all of the other ones at the same time made me gain weight. So I no longer need the humidifier either. I work behind a computer all day so I make myself remember to put drops in while working but when I'm out and about and not in the office I have no need for them. I was able to enjoy my wedding and honeymoon without dry eye or glasses it was great. I will follow up with where I am on the reading chart after my next appointment.

Side note, I was suffering from red eye about four months ago and couldn't figure out why they were soooo red, one reason was the dryness and another was because I was using a night eye ointment and it was actually bothering my eyes. Since I stopped using it my eyes are white and clear. I can see things that seemed to have a blurry outline now clearly and I can see street signs from far away, I can see certain things that were very difficult to see during the healing stages. Overall I'm pretty happy with my outcome, will write more later.

The Following User Says Thank You to phlowers For This Useful Post:
Jperezus (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
(female)

Jperezus HB User

Thanks so much for your posts!!! I think i also sleep with my eyes open at night becasue In the morning i wake up with dry eye. I just had lasik 5 days ago so this is the first night that I will sleep without my mask. Thanks again for providing hope!!! It is disheartening to go on mesage boards but I guess the success stories aren't on the message boards!!
Jen

Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
(female)

mgl11 HB User

I just want to say thanks for posting your progress. I had LASIK done on my left eye 6 days ago. My left eye used to be farsighted and astigmatic. Now i can read clearly without glasses but my middle and distance vision is blurry. I'm hoping that that will improve quickly. Your story gives me hope that there is (better) life after LASIK.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
(male)

grack HB User

Thanks for your post.
I am 17 days out and my right eye doesn't seem to be healing or catching up with my left which is pretty clear and perfect. It's been annoying and kind of depressing me.

I do drink wine in the evenings so I think I'll try stopping the drinking and drink more water to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Reply Reply