It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

Coffeybean HB User
My LASIK Experience - Long and will update continually

SURGERY - FEBRUARY 3, 2012
TODAY - FEBRUARY 7, 2012

Hello all!

I have never joined a forum before (ever), but all these LASIK experiences motivated me to share mine, as well. First off, let me start off by explaining a little bit about my personality. Type A, high anxiety, paranoid by most things in life, scared of all things medical related....you get the point. I have never even had a surgery before in my life and I'm 26. I used to SWEAR off the thought of LASIK and never would have thought to consider it.

I have worn glasses since high school and went to contacts, probably when I was a senior. Over the last few years, contact lenses have caused me a lot of pain. I have dry eye and have been diagnosed with GPC in the past. I gave up wearing contacts this past year, and let me tell you, I hate wearing glasses! I'm very active, coach gymnastics, work out, and having to wear glasses irritated me, hence my research in to LASIK.

I will say that the Opthomology clinic I chose is very respected in the DFW area and is specialized in ALL ares of eye surgery, and LASIK is a part of things that they offer. I chose them after my own research as well as 3-4 positive referrals of people I know (who all had positive results.)

My consultation appointment was January 13th, 2011. I knew going in that I had dry eye. I did the Schermer's test and tested an 8 in my left eye and a 9 in my right eye which meant I could not have the surgery until I treat my dry eye. I had already proactively been trying to improve my dry eye situation. I carry preservative free tears every where and I take the TheraTears supplements every morning. I don't feel as though it's "hampered" my lifestyle because I've been coping with dry eye for a while now. I had thick corneas and a -4.00 for each eye, so relatively speaking, I was a good candidate.
Over the next few weeks, I did more and more research and would freak out and then back out, and then decide that I was being silly, and reconfirm...just a ton of emotions. (I went ahead and did the surgery...mostly based on the fact that I had very very small astigmatism and average prescription).

My surgery was scheduled for February 3rd, and I was given a prescription of Restasis to start immediately (****** expensive). Also, I would have to receive punctal plugs a week before surgery (which cost $200).

I'm not going to describe the surgery because that's not what this post is about...I'm mostly trying to communicate the "aftermath".

My eyes were very sensitive afterwards, and I took a nap when I got home, and I will say that I was one of those cases that could see immediately after I woke up. I had been taking my Restasis and had the punctal plugs in.

That being said, my dry eye is exactly the same as it was before. No more, no less. I put drops in even when I don't need them. I work on a computer for 8 hours a day, and I take a break every 30 minutes. There is a program called Workrave that I downloaded that will remind you to take a break however you set it up. By the end of the day, my eyes tend to get more dry because I am tired from the day in general, so they are more irritated by 9:00 PM. I DO wake up with dry eye that is uncomfortable, but is relieved as soon as I put my drops in.

Like everyone that gets LASIK, I do worry that I'm going to wake up and everything is going to be shot to hell, but so far everything has been extremely manageable.

As goes with my OCD and obsessive researching, I'm terrified of developing ectasia in the future. I DID know this was a possible, devastating, yet rare side effect that some people develop. My other fear is that my dry eye will worsen once my punctal plugs dissolve after 3 months (which I will update this post then).

That being said, I believe dry eye can be manageable as long as you and your surgeon are PROACTIVE beforehand. It's quite an extra expense (Restasis and plugs), but I am very, very glad I was "forced" to do it because otherwise, they literally would not do the surgery on me, which is a good thing because it shows that they DO turn away patients if they feel they aren't a candidate. I still struggle with it every day, but like I said, it hasn't worsened since LASIK, but then again it's only been 4 days!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User
Re: My LASIK Experience - Long and will update continually

My story is same as yours, all that high anxiety, same schrimers test 8 in each eye. Unfortunately my clinic wasnt hesitatn to not operate me, even maybe because of that small tear production, or anxiety disorder, I mean I actualyl have a disorder and was prescribed zoloft, xanax, but clinic green lighted me. How are you seeing, do you see well at night, no halo, starbursts etc? I have them, and freaked me out first day after surgery knowing i probably f my eyes up. And I can't really focus easily, i can in really bright situations, but in low light etc, feels like my eyes are tired or something and go cross eyed, like a camera trying to focus it out.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
(female)

Coffeybean HB User

Hi Mario-

Yes, part of me is very surprised at myself that I went though with it because it's not like my personality to do so. I mean, I have gotten NO work done today (ha ha) because I've been freaking out due to all these posts.

I meant to add my vision in my original post, but forgot to.

I see exactly the same as I did with my glasses. Honestly, I can drive at night with no issues. I don't have halos or glares, and literally the only thing I can say is that I am managing my dry eye. I think I would be in high depression after some of these posts that have had blurriness, halos, glares after surgery and I'm very thankful that I didn't have any symptoms like that. I'm also hoping it's not a "late" symptom and going to start any day now. I do have the broken blood vessels from the suction.

Even though I have had no issues, I still struggle with the thought of regret. It's a strange feeling....like I have good vision at the cost of healthy eyes with an intact cornea, if that makes sense. Guilty for a selfish act, so to speak.

I was just so motivated to have LASIK, but so far so good as long as I don't develop more symptoms.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

Coffeybean HB User

Also, Mario...I really felt for yourself, Regret Eyes, and ENGINEER because I literally cannot imagine how I would cope, and my heart goes out to you guys. :/

Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

I felt exactly the same after, now having a flap on my cornea and changed touched cornea yea the same, no matter if it is all perfect i probably would still feel like that exactly after. 6 months later not so much, you accept something, problem is i am having blur halos all gash galore when my pupils get bigger, and that is constant reminder. I thought i had it covered by new lasers new zone of treatment, i guess i made a mistake in calculating. I researched it so much before, forgot some stuff, from soem got headache, i guess when it's so much best thing is to avoid that kind of procedure, if there is no guarantee even in this day and age and technlogy about most notorius side effects that impact life like glare, starburst halo etc. I envy you with that driving at night with no issue, cause i barely can even when the sun is going down and my pupils dialate i am havin less crisp vision and other cars lights get streaks and it almost as i want to put glasses to make it sharp.

You should be really happy if no issues, dry eye will probably get better, although it is soem pain in the arse, i mean its drier than usual and drops using.

And to me, i thought i would be extremely happy with freedom and new vision, but i kinda felt like some part of me is gone, 20 years i've been watching myself with glasses, sure they got dirty they got on my nerves, maybe even because of all lasik marketing they got even more on my nerves. But i feel like that part of me is gone, and kinda miss them, maybe because i had stable vision with them, maybe i wouldnt miss that other me if my vision was crisp and clear in all conditions, i can say it's nise to see clear outside on bright day with nothin restricting you and no smudges on glasses. But i've become now irritated by dark, don't wanna drive or even walk at night cause it iritates me, and forget about playing games or multimedai or movies at night on tv.

You should be really happy, and that regret will go away when you get used to new vision. I think nothing will go wrong with it, that thing is rare, yes ectasia is frightening, but i think that occurs when they take too much of cornea tissue, othervise so many peopel would get ectasia after lasik, it would be epidemic wouldn't it if it doesnt matter how much tissue the take off. But then again yu can't be sure with everything, i just hope with some retreatment or soemthing they can fix my conditoin, if not, i probably won't be the one just sitting at home because of this.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

Do you know maybe what kind of lasik treatment did you get, wavefront optimized, guided, what laser?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
(male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User

Hey beans , while my surgery turned out bad I am happy to hear others that do well regardless of how much I am against this. Hope everything continues to go well for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Regret eyes For This Useful Post:
Coffeybean (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
(female)

Coffeybean HB User

Thanks Regret Eyes. I understand the controversy, because it is your eyes, after all.

MarioX - They used OptiLasik Wavelight and IntraLase to make the flap.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
(female)

Coffeybean HB User

DATE: February 10, 2012

Hello everyone-

Just a quick update on my appointment check-up this morning and past week. Pretty good!

My vision does get a little blurry by night time when my eyes are tired from my 11 hour work day. Nothing a few blinks don't cure. They tend to get drier at night...probably for the same reason.

Driving at night is still simple. I get a little bit of glare off of lights of other cars, but nothing distracting. Honestly, I probably wouldn't even notice it pre-LASIK...but I try to notice everything post-LASIK

At the office, I raised my concerns about ectasia and found it is usually found in people that should have never been approved for LASIK in the first place. For example, thin corneas and what not. I found out that their standard for the thickness of the flap created is 110 microns. Standard for the LASIK industry (so I've read) is about 100 to 130 microns, so nice to know that it's right in the average.

All in all, everything is going smoothly!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
(male)

djkenishii HB User

beans, may i know what is ur cornea thickness? just curious

Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
(female)

Coffeybean HB User

Hi Djkenishii-

I don't remember the number exactly but it was at least 530 or 550 or something around that area.

For me, everything is still going smoothly. I have the "eye hickies" from the suction, but those are almost gone. I would guess in about 3 more days.

As of now, I do not regret having Lasik.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

Now let me ask you just, you see perfectly fine in dark, on tv? no doubling of images, or focus problems? The most simple nightvision issue test is that in complete dark with tv tuner off you look at for example sam led diods in the hous, like those of tv, the small standby light, now is it still pretty small and sharp in complete darkness when your pupiils dialate, or does it get strechy, starbursty etc?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
(female)

Coffeybean HB User

Hi Mario-

When driving at night, I do notice small starburts (like on stop lights), but nothing that distracting. The only reason I notice is because I'm "looking" for symptoms. They're there, yes.

I haven't tried the TV thing because my apartment is a loft style with windows all over the place that don't have window treatments and the street lights come in. It never gets too dark where you can't see what you're doing (even if all the lights are turned off), so I don't know about the complete darkness thing.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

Well depends what kind of starbursts, some people experience small starbursting of lights even drugin day, but that is not such a problem, during night its more obvious ofcourse. But the bigger issues is if those starbursts change depending on pupils size, when you derive a car and its darkers, suddenly other cars pops out in front, his lights are starbursting all around, and as you look at that car lights starburst shrinks because your pupil shrinks.
Now if you have that second issues that starburst are not stable but contantly change depending on pupils size i belive that is nightvision issues, depending on pupils size and how big starbursts are it can be distracting to somebody and not to other people. It is hard to define how somebody sees, some people say perfect, then suddenly some see some starburst and some see it so severe and unstable that driving is really hard, especially in darker streeets. We don't talk about drivin in highy lighted areas, but streets with poorer lilghtning.

Well try it somewhere where you can be dark in the hallaway at night or something, in a room, bring a cellphone or saome small diode like light and you'll see if it is sharp or starbursting all over. Og course if yu look at white screen of cellphone in complete dark, lilght hits the pupils and they shrink. To me diode on tv in standby mode was little and sharp with glasses, not it ain't even under a 100-200w lightbulb. And of course when that isn't sharp, all vision isn't sharp on all objecst, just harder to notice, direct lights is easy to notice something is not as crisp as before.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
(male)

djkenishii HB User

hi guys,

may i know the complications that your suffering are the result of lasik or lasek procedure?
i heard the lasek procedure complications are lesser than lasik, but the healing time is longer...i am recommended to perform ASA procedure by my surgeon, before i made the decision, would like some feedback from you all so that i can weight my options...

best regards,
dj

Reply Reply