It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

immg HB User
I had LASIK 5 days ago... HELP!

Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a couple of problems I've been having since I got the procedure done a few days ago. First off, I'd like to say that overall, I'm very happy with the results and that the experience was relatively easy and hassle-free for me. However, I'm starting to notice a few things that are really scaring me.

-After my followup appointment (the day after surgery) my doctor told me I was healing beautifully and that my vision is 20/15. GREAT change from being -6.00 and -6.25. The third day after my surgery, I noticed that my vision in my left eye was starting to become a little blurry. I shrugged it off because I remember my doctor telling me that there are some side effects that I can expect in the next few weeks, and blurry vision was among them. The thing is, I think the blurriness is getting a little worse everyday in my left eye. It doesn't hurt, but it feels like it's really strained sometimes. Should I be worried? Is it possible for your vision to get blurry in one eye, and then back to normal during the healing process?

-The other problem I have is with dryness. I constantly lubricate my eyes with the drops I was given and everything was great in the first 4 days. I wasn't in any pain and my eyes didn't feel that dry. However, I noticed that since last night, my eyes have felt drier than usual. I used the lubricating eye drops as much as possible before sleeping so that they wouldn't dry out while I was asleep, but that's exactly what happened. I woke up several times in just a few hours with my eyes feeling like they were stuck to my eyelids. I used the eye drops and tried to go back to sleep, but the same thing would happen over and over again. I thought that maybe the eye drops I was using (Systane) weren't working well enough, so I started using Refresh Plus instead. Those didn't work either... I keep having to use them every 15-30 minutes so my eyes won't feel scratchy and irritated. Has anyone had similar problems? I'm worried that I'll oversleep or something and wake up with my corneal flap stuck to my eyelids!

Sorry for the long-ish post, I'm really worried and I have no one else to ask. It's pretty late here so I can't contact the doctor/clinic that did the procedure to ask.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
(female)

immg HB User
Re: I had LASIK 5 days ago...HELP!

...Anyone?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
(male)

Rolando75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by immg View Post
...Anyone?
Hi, I had this surgery on December 27th, 2011. First of all you should talk to your doctor and tell him all the syntoms you have been experiecing.
For what I have been reading in this site and others eye dryness is very common, I am experiencing it myself and it is very uncomfortable.
I feel that my vision has not improved, but it´s been like 7 to 8 weeks since my sugery, right now I cannot do anything but wait and hope that with the pass of months my eyes will heal completly and I will get an acceptable vision.
If your doctor is in your home town you are lucky, I had to drive 125 miles to have the surgery and to have my post-op first revision.
So talk to your doctor, do what he says and be patient... and do not stay too long using the PC/laptop, it will get your eye dryness worse becasue we blink lees in that condition

Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
(male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User

Flucuating vision , dry eyes and blur are common especially being only 5 days out. Your LASIK surgeon will say " give it time.". But in reality they don't know how your outcome will be. Keep your eyes lubricated and good luck! Keep us posted.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

immg HB User
Re: I had LASIK 5 days ago... HELP!

Thank you very much for your replies! It has now been about 7 days since I got the procedure done and, well... Things aren't perfect but I guess I'm coping well. When my doctor told me about the dryness, I didn't expect it to be so severe. Even when I did some research on LASIK before my procedure, everyone said they suffered from dry eyes afterwards, but I never thought it would be to the extent of not being able to open your eyes in the morning.

The blurriness is not as bad as it was a couple of days ago. So I'm hopeful about that. Everything seems to be going well, except for some strange pains I've been getting for the last two days. It's like a weird strain kind of pain where I can't really focus on things, especially when I'm on the computer. I end up having to rest my eyes for 30 minutes to an hour so I can function properly again.

Rolando - Thankfully, the clinic I went to is only 15 minutes away from my house. I called my doctor's office and set up an appointment after a few days. What was your prescription before your procedure, if you don't mind me asking? Are you saying that your vision hasn't improved at ALL? Do you have to wear glasses in the meantime? I hope you things get better for you soon.

Regret eyes - "Give it time." I've come to absolutely HATE that phrase. I hate there's so much uncertainty with the whole procedure that they don't inform us about. Even though my doctor was honest with me throughout the whole thing, and told me exactly what to expect, there was always uncertainty in what he said. I wish there was a solid number so I could at least know what I'm getting into... Dryness for x months. Blurriness for x weeks. But no, we just have to wait it out and hope for the best. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't.

THe more I learn about the risks and horrible side effects of this surgery, the dumber I feel for not doing enough research before I got it done. I was reeled in like everyone else and I have no one to blame but myself. There's no point in regretting it now, since there's no turning back anyway, so I'm just trying to make the best of this situation. I suppose I should be thankful since I'm doing so much better than a lot of people who are suffering more than I am. Oh well...

Thank you very much for your help guys!

Last edited by immg; 02-18-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added something

Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
(male)

amiramin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by immg View Post
Thank you very much for your replies! It has now been about 7 days since I got the procedure done and, well... Things aren't perfect but I guess I'm coping well. When my doctor told me about the dryness, I didn't expect it to be so severe. Even when I did some research on LASIK before my procedure, everyone said they suffered from dry eyes afterwards, but I never thought it would be to the extent of not being able to open your eyes in the morning.

The blurriness is not as bad as it was a couple of days ago. So I'm hopeful about that. Everything seems to be going well, except for some strange pains I've been getting for the last two days. It's like a weird strain kind of pain where I can't really focus on things, especially when I'm on the computer. I end up having to rest my eyes for 30 minutes to an hour so I can function properly again.

Rolando - Thankfully, the clinic I went to is only 15 minutes away from my house. I called my doctor's office and set up an appointment after a few days. What was your prescription before your procedure, if you don't mind me asking? Are you saying that your vision hasn't improved at ALL? Do you have to wear glasses in the meantime? I hope you things get better for you soon.

Regret eyes - "Give it time." I've come to absolutely HATE that phrase. I hate there's so much uncertainty with the whole procedure that they don't inform us about. Even though my doctor was honest with me throughout the whole thing, and told me exactly what to expect, there was always uncertainty in what he said. I wish there was a solid number so I could at least know what I'm getting into... Dryness for x months. Blurriness for x weeks. But no, we just have to wait it out and hope for the best. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't.

THe more I learn about the risks and horrible side effects of this surgery, the dumber I feel for not doing enough research before I got it done. I was reeled in like everyone else and I have no one to blame but myself. There's no point in regretting it now, since there's no turning back anyway, so I'm just trying to make the best of this situation. I suppose I should be thankful since I'm doing so much better than a lot of people who are suffering more than I am. Oh well...

Thank you very much for your help guys!
I am thinking of a laser surgery and my prescription is -2.5,
I want you advise, should i do it or not.
waiting for your reply

Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

After all reading of people with really bad, half bad and good outcomes here you need advice? It's simple, it's a roulette with your own eyes, nobody can guarantee you to see perfectly clear or clear as with glasses after lasik, nobody can guarantee you won't end up with such bad low light and nightvision that you won't go out at night anymore or drive a car.
That is the reality of this procedure, so if you have money to gamble and balls to gamble with your eyes like rest of us, then gamble.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
(male)

amiramin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioX2 View Post
After all reading of people with really bad, half bad and good outcomes here you need advice? It's simple, it's a roulette with your own eyes, nobody can guarantee you to see perfectly clear or clear as with glasses after lasik, nobody can guarantee you won't end up with such bad low light and nightvision that you won't go out at night anymore or drive a car.
That is the reality of this procedure, so if you have money to gamble and balls to gamble with your eyes like rest of us, then gamble.
Well money is not the issue as LASIK and PRK is quite cheap in my country. And i my doctor suggested me PRK instead of LASIK as he said PRK involves less risks.

(sorry for my grammar mistakes)

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Back to the original topic....

Dry eyes and blurriness are just a part of lasik. From what I've read, it happens at least 98% of the time. "Give it time," is probably one of the most annoying phrases EVER!!! But, it's true. Your eyes have to heal. You can't realistically expect perfect vision to happen any sooner than 3 months after surgery, and for many people, it takes even longer. It's frustrating, but that's just how it is.

It IS a gamble, but so is driving a car. Some people can drive from point A to point B and make it there in great time, with no problems at all. Others aren't so lucky. Some run out of gas, some have their car break down, some get into a minor accident, others get flattened by 18 wheelers.... MOST people, most of the time, will fall into that first category, but there's always a chance they won't. Same with lasik. Some people have lasik done and have horrible results. Most people have great results, though. They don't post here on the boards, because why would they? They aren't out looking for answers about their lasik, because they didn't have any problems! I post here on occasion because I stumbled across these boards while my dad was sick with cancer (I was on the cancer boards a lot). I had great results from my surgery, but it took for freaking ever to get there (about 6 months) and I was freaked out for at least half that time! It's scary when you mess with your eyes!

ANYWAY, give it time. What kind of artificial tears are you using? I just used the generic brand tears from walmart and target and they worked great. I didn't think my eyes were that dry, and I thought I was using a lot of tears, but the doctor said my eyes were really dry (especially the blurrier one), and that I should at least double my tear use. After I started using more tears, my vision started clearing faster. My lasik was back in 2006, after 6 months my vision was perfect. I still have 20/15 in both eyes!

Hang in there, it does get better!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

Lasik or prk is not cheap anywhere I belive, it's still more expensive than high quality comfortable glasses with high quality lenses which can last for 5years or even more depending does your prescription change over time or you don't break them during some sport or something. But then if your prescription isn't stable, there is no point in going though surgery cause your prescription will then continue to change but from zero.
And also be careful about cheap lasik or prk? What country how much in dollars would that be? There are and there was clinics who offered very cheap lasik per eye, on old lasers on old methods on standard lasik, withouth new methods like custom guided, or wavefront opimized etc. And also depends how do they make your flap with cheaper mecchanical microkeratome or with expensive intralaase or femtosecond laser.

MY procedure cost 1000 euros per eye, so it's not cheap at all in my country. Well the same procedure 3 years ago was 2000 euros per eye, but clinics have been poping around, in my small countray and town, now there are 4 clinics who provide lasik or prk. So ofcoruse to beat the competition they had to lower prices, or othervise no one would come for 2000 euros per eye for the same procedure on the same laser.

Don't be mistakend about risks of lasik vs prk. What did your surgeon say what exactly are less risks with prk? PRK is not good for people with high prescription cause it has its own risk, like hazing of the cornea etc. PRK has its own risks too, flap is not created, they scrape surface of cornea, epitheal cells, which then need time to regenerate, which is ofcourse more painful to get healed and much more patience of a person to get clear vision after it. But in the end in prk or lasik laser still has to reshape your cornea, still has to burn calculated amount of tissues, difference is lasik goes deeper for that, under flap so it is better for higher prescriptins and faster recovery, while in prk laser ablates on surface of cornea. Sure there are possible flap complications in lasik, but that is if you do not take care of yourself during some week or monht until flap is much more sealed. You ain't gonna go boxing or play contact sports after surgery cause ball or whatever can hit you in the eye and maybe dislocate a flap. But after six months flap is really firmly sealed, only real hard impact can move it, which can cause other injuries to the eye, and only surgeon can lift it up again if you need enhancment procedure.
But there are similar if not the same risks because of ablation of cornea and pupils size and optical and blend zones of lasers. So even if you do prk you can still end up with dry eyes because laser was burning tissue of and that cause some havoc among the nerves responsible for tear film. And if laser do not do its job on outer limits when your pupils get bigger properly, than you can end up with the same nightvision low light problems just like those who got lasik.

I can say that I met a person on the same day of procedure like me, he insisted on prk, was treated on new laser and methods, had really minor prescription of -1.50. And ended up with really bad nightvision which prevents him to drive comfortably withouth puting his life and others people lives at stake druing nightime driving. That person had pretty much perfect vision with glasses or contacts with such minor prescription prior to surgey and drived in pitch black darkness without problems.

So yea, don't trust easly to surgeons, after all yu need to pay them to do this procedure on you, private clinics, capitalism etc. Reseearch it much more, read all postst here, read on other forums, google lasik complications and check out those sites by damaged patients. Go on youtube enter lasik and look thurgh videos of lasik and prk how it is performed. With the power of internet today it is amazing how much we can informs myself. I mean there are tons of lasik video recorded operations on youtube.

And please say how much money lasik costs at your country?
And I also apologise for bad grammar

Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
Back to the original topic....

It IS a gamble, but so is driving a car. Some people can drive from point A to point B and make it there in great time, with no problems at all. Others aren't so lucky. Some run out of gas, some have their car break down, some get into a minor accident, others get flattened by 18 wheelers.... MOST people, most of the time, will fall into that first category, but there's always a chance they won't. Same with lasik. Some people have lasik done and have horrible results. Most people have great results, though. They don't post here on the boards, because why would they? They aren't out looking for answers about their lasik, because they didn't have any problems! I post here on occasion because I stumbled across these boards while my dad was sick with cancer (I was on the cancer boards a lot). I had great results from my surgery, but it took for freaking ever to get there (about 6 months) and I was freaked out for at least half that time! It's scary when you mess with your eyes!
I don't liek that comparison of driving a car with surgery on eyes. It is not good comparison, I even heard that from one surgeon. I mean really what are really the odds of you getting in accident with a car. If you drive normally and carefully. Really small smaaaall chance to have some lunatic drive into you with max speed and you end up dead in a car. Mostly car accidents happend on weekend when young people get drunk and drive themselves to death etc.

Then by these analogies and comparisons even walking is a risk, even waking up, even being born. Cause you can walk ans some lunatic can drive you over if he is drunk or just a lunatic.

Car is not a death machine cause majority of people drive normal. Othervise it wuld be complete chaos, and I say mostly people ie or car accident while drinking.

This surgery is something compeltely diffeten, first it really isn't needed, just marketing and all other stuff make it so magical that you will finally see normal like normal people liek yu were born with normal eyes.
You can sit into car for 10 years and nothing will happened, just its so minor percentage that something will acutally happend, and even if you get into accident there is still higher percentage that you end up with just some bruises. Considering all airbags, and protections against impact.

LASIK is a one time procedure, it will go ok or it will not go okay, you can not sit many times in lasik bed underneath the laser and have it fixed. You are actually leting someone cut healthy part of the eye, cornea, which is not sick nor it was touched before. Do yu let someone drive into you in a car or you drive into someone purposely to see what happens?

Eyes is such fragile part of us, all must be perfect every part of the eye so that the light can focus properly and we can get perfect normal crips vision in all light conditions. Cornea is really important, window of your eyes, light must pass though cornea to go thrugh pupils. If cornea is distrupted, reshaped badly, left with microstriaes or some microscars, light will bend differently and we will get some iritating effects complications and problems.

So no, that comparison i dont like, car and surgery. You can than do anything and make it so life is such a risk that no surgery is risk more then getting out of bed. In life you don't get puprosely in other cars etc. In life your body brain and all though evlution serves to be careful, to evade dangers. You can't even simpky put eyedrops or contacts the first time because our defense system of body senses that something is coming near you eyes, and want to protect it. But when you purposely want to get you eye cat and burned with lasers, they have to numb your eyes and put speculum so you can't blink, so the body can't protects itself from something as invasive as this procedure.

I don't liek those analogies comparisons cause they seem like than you could make everything look ok, every risk surgery everything.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioX2 View Post
I don't liek that comparison of driving a car with surgery on eyes. It is not good comparison, I even heard that from one surgeon. I mean really what are really the odds of you getting in accident with a car. If you drive normally and carefully. Really small smaaaall chance to have some lunatic drive into you with max speed and you end up dead in a car. Mostly car accidents happend on weekend when young people get drunk and drive themselves to death etc.

Then by these analogies and comparisons even walking is a risk, even waking up, even being born. Cause you can walk ans some lunatic can drive you over if he is drunk or just a lunatic.

Car is not a death machine cause majority of people drive normal. Othervise it wuld be complete chaos, and I say mostly people ie or car accident while drinking.

This surgery is something compeltely diffeten, first it really isn't needed, just marketing and all other stuff make it so magical that you will finally see normal like normal people liek yu were born with normal eyes.
You can sit into car for 10 years and nothing will happened, just its so minor percentage that something will acutally happend, and even if you get into accident there is still higher percentage that you end up with just some bruises. Considering all airbags, and protections against impact.

LASIK is a one time procedure, it will go ok or it will not go okay, you can not sit many times in lasik bed underneath the laser and have it fixed. You are actually leting someone cut healthy part of the eye, cornea, which is not sick nor it was touched before. Do yu let someone drive into you in a car or you drive into someone purposely to see what happens?

Eyes is such fragile part of us, all must be perfect every part of the eye so that the light can focus properly and we can get perfect normal crips vision in all light conditions. Cornea is really important, window of your eyes, light must pass though cornea to go thrugh pupils. If cornea is distrupted, reshaped badly, left with microstriaes or some microscars, light will bend differently and we will get some iritating effects complications and problems.

So no, that comparison i dont like, car and surgery. You can than do anything and make it so life is such a risk that no surgery is risk more then getting out of bed. In life you don't get puprosely in other cars etc. In life your body brain and all though evlution serves to be careful, to evade dangers. You can't even simpky put eyedrops or contacts the first time because our defense system of body senses that something is coming near you eyes, and want to protect it. But when you purposely want to get you eye cat and burned with lasers, they have to numb your eyes and put speculum so you can't blink, so the body can't protects itself from something as invasive as this procedure.

I don't liek those analogies comparisons cause they seem like than you could make everything look ok, every risk surgery everything.
I understand what you are saying, but look at where you are coming from. You had a bad experience. Not everyone has a bad experience, though.

My lasik turned out to be the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm thrilled with my results. Every single person I know personally that has had lasik has had great results, too. I do not personally know anyone who has had a bad experience with lasik.... that's one of the reasons I decided to do it.

As far as the car analogy goes.... I'm sorry if you took that as insensitive or whatever. From my experience, it's a good analogy. I've been in three car accidents (none were my fault). The first happened when I was in high school (20 years ago), and it left me with pretty bad back problems ever since.... like if I sneeze wrong, I throw my back out. The second was a fairly minor accident, but it left me dealing with minor neck problems (it's been almost 15 years now), until the third accident, which left me with a herniated disc in my neck that I've had pretty bad problems with off and on ever since (that was about 10 years ago). I know several people who have been in fairly minor car accidents, and others who were in major car accidents, both of which left my friends with life long problems, and I knew others who were killed in car accidents. I often travel long distances, and I have seen MANY major car accidents just in the past 6 months. Throughout my life, I've witnessed several car accidents as they have happened. From my perspective, lasik is WAY safer than getting in a car! You might not think so, but that's because you haven't had the same experience as me.

I do understand what you are saying, though. If I'd had a bad experience with lasik, I'd probably be telling everyone I know to stay away from it! I'm sorry you didn't have a better experience with lasik. I hope it gets better for you.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

Well the thing is there are people with bad experience, and they are not telling everyone, they are depressed, they have spend their money. O belive me I've met people who said they are thrilled, when i dig deeper with questions of how they see at night etc. some said: oh you know, your eyes can't be the same as before surgery, like everything after surgery. So there ya go, that was just one person in my experience that is thrilled but obviously has some nightime issues. But he is not telling other what and how he really sees he says amazing, reborn etc. And some peopel don't go anywhere online or anythign after bad outcome, i had to ask questions, or when i posted my experience on clinics face page then some persons responded to my inbox how they see. So it's wrong to think that all people with bad outcomes are rushing on internet to say they got it bad. Nope, many people don't go online or on these forums, and many can't admit the mistake to themselves, so we really can not know the number of damaged people and happy people. Obiously happy outcomes are more, but bad outcomes is not really 1% or something lasik industry feeds us. And yet it's subjective, so somebody could have vision problems or loss of contrast sensitivity, but they are hapyp because they don't even know how lasik is performed or what were the risks. Not everyone is smart about this procedure.

Even If I had perfect reulst with lasik, i wouldn't go yelling to people they should do it just liek that, i would say it is a risk, after all it's live surgery where you see them opening your eyes. Dry eyes after surgery, vision fluctuations, yeap not a 15min miracle and you're good to go.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
(female)

Coffeybean HB User

Mario-

You had asked me about night vision in my other post. I did admit that I have (very) minimal starbursts of at night time. This does not mean that I'm "lying" to myself and secretly regret having the surgery. I knew full in well before I had Lasik that I was most likely going to have dry eyes, starbursts, etc. I mean, your eye is getting lasered!

Am I happy that I got Lasik? Absolutely!! I didn't go in to surgery thinking my eyes were going to me completely normal after the fact. It's a trade off. I think anyone who is motivated to enough to go get their eyes lasered must really hate contacts/glasses, and that's ok! I truly hated how limiting my glasses were, so I took a chance. Yes, it's a gamble. When you truly think about it, it's amazing to see how far technology has advanced to even be able to do this kind of surgery.

I hate that people have bad outcomes. I'm still in the very early stages of healing and I fully expected to have the minimal side effects that I have. I weighed the cons/benefits and the benefits outweigh the cons by far!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

MarioX2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeybean View Post
Mario-

You had asked me about night vision in my other post. I did admit that I have (very) minimal starbursts of at night time. This does not mean that I'm "lying" to myself and secretly regret having the surgery. I knew full in well before I had Lasik that I was most likely going to have dry eyes, starbursts, etc. I mean, your eye is getting lasered!

Am I happy that I got Lasik? Absolutely!! I didn't go in to surgery thinking my eyes were going to me completely normal after the fact. It's a trade off. I think anyone who is motivated to enough to go get their eyes lasered must really hate contacts/glasses, and that's ok! I truly hated how limiting my glasses were, so I took a chance. Yes, it's a gamble. When you truly think about it, it's amazing to see how far technology has advanced to even be able to do this kind of surgery.

I hate that people have bad outcomes. I'm still in the very early stages of healing and I fully expected to have the minimal side effects that I have. I weighed the cons/benefits and the benefits outweigh the cons by far!

I surely didn't go knowing or wanting halfed vision. I trade my crips vision and stable for lousy vision without glasses? yea that makes sense.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Closed Thread