HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lasik Eye Surgery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lasik-eye-surgery/)
-   -   Lasik Wavefront. No improvement after 1 week - reassurance please! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lasik-eye-surgery/900385-lasik-wavefront-no-improvement-after-1-week-reassurance-please.html)

1Anxious1 05-10-2012 12:56 PM

Lasik Wavefront. No improvement after 1 week - reassurance please!

Hi, I had Lasik Wavefront treatment 1 week ago. I was -3.50 in both eyes before, so I wanted to improve my distance. Thing is, my distance is out of focus from about 10 ft and it's been like this from day 1. I haven't got dry eyes and I have not pain, never had foggy vision, so I have been lucky in that respect but I'm just starting to get depressed at my vision not improving or even fluctuating and the thought of having an enhancement terrifies me! My surgeon even told me to stop panting during the op, I wasn't having a baby lol. Has anyone experience this and had a happy ending? Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks :)

jas88cam 05-12-2012 08:23 AM

Re: Lasik Wavefront. No improvement after 1 week - reassurance please!

That's strange; I get the impression that after a week you should be just about where you'll end up, particularly from a lower prescription like -3.5. Having said that, at my 8-day check, my right eye was still a little short-sighted and astigmatic, and I was told it could still shift a bit more - so there's still a chance for you. Was yours Intralase ("bladeless"/"all laser") or using a microkeratome? Mine was the former, the latter can take a bit longer to heal as well.

If you're following the usual (one day, one week, one month) checkup pattern for LASIK you should be about due a one-week check. Mine was yesterday morning; I was told I'm 20/20 in the left, -0.50 with 1.00D astigmatism in the right, were you told anything specific?

1Anxious1 05-13-2012 06:39 AM

Hi, thanks for responding. I had bladeless (ultralase) Wavefront, so the recovery should be quicker. My vision still hasn't changed and I have my 1 wk appointment tomorrow. I expect they will say it's too early to start worrying, and maybe they are right. I'm glad your results are good and I'm sure (being optimistic) mine will be. They said I had 20/20 vision after 1 day but that was not correct at all! I squinted and guessed the line and said a P, when after closer inspection it was in fact an F! I just wish the surgeon could have been more honest about the recovery time, then at least I would know what to expect. He said I would see as clearly as with my contacts....my vision is nowhere near that and I doubt it ever will be :(

jas88cam 05-13-2012 10:57 AM

So we both had exactly the same procedure, except my prescription was much stronger, so yours should be a bit quicker. I wasn't 20/20 on the 1-day check, just "driving standard", but by Friday's 8 day the left eye was straight down to the 20/20 line.

I actually feel my vision's still wonky, but that's a combination of poor close vision (which cheap reading glasses will fix) and some lingering myopia and astigmatism in the right eye. Looking out of the window right now, I see the house across the street in perfect focus (the left eye doing all the work) - I just wish my reading glasses had shown up yesterday as promised!

Oh - I just remembered: at the 8 day mark, I was told my vision "might" still shift a little bit (but I think it's pretty much done now) - but I'd also just come off the week-long course of antibiotics and steroids, and the optometrist noted the steroids themselves tend to screw up your vision a bit. I'm pretty sure the end of the steroids made a difference, too. Presumably you've only just reached the end of your week of drops?

1Anxious1 05-14-2012 09:14 AM

I've just come back from 1 wk check up and my eyes have deteriorated from a very blurry/squinting/guessing the line 20/20 to -1 in both eyes. I'm fighting feeling depressed but it was hard when I was told to come back in a month and if my eyes are the same they will give me a prescription for driving glasses!!!! So it seems I', back where I started. I stop my medicated drops tonight and have a ton of eye drops and hope hope hope it makes a difference. I'm glad your eyes are settling. This website has given me so much hope and I appreicate you responding in my hour of need :)

jas88cam 05-14-2012 01:42 PM

I know how you feel there - although that doesn't sound like a big deterioration to me; my -0.5D myopia with 1D astigmatism wasn't far off being able to struggle through the 20/20 line.

My +1 reading glasses arrived this morning, which make a BIG difference for closeup work in the mean time. Interestingly, I had been OK until now with my right eye (the slightly short-sighted one) but the "20/20" left couldn't manage to focus; today, both struggle with close up focus and do much better with the reading glasses on, which I think is a good sign: I'm hoping the right eye's catching up the left now.

Oh, when you've just come off the antibiotic and steroid drops, you might want to compensate by stepping up the artificial tear drops a lot - with hindsight, I screwed up there. (I went straight from 12 drops a day to 4, which wasn't enough in my case, so my eyes dried up and took a day or two to be comfortable again.)

jas88cam 05-14-2012 02:00 PM

I know how you feel there - although that doesn't sound like a big deterioration to me; my -0.5D myopia with 1D astigmatism wasn't far off being able to struggle through the 20/20 line.

My +1 reading glasses arrived this morning, which make a BIG difference for closeup work in the mean time. Interestingly, I had been OK until now with my right eye (the slightly short-sighted one) but the "20/20" left couldn't manage to focus; today, both struggle with close up focus and do much better with the reading glasses on, which I think is a good sign: I'm hoping the right eye's catching up the left now.

Oh, when you've just come off the antibiotic and steroid drops, you might want to compensate by stepping up the artificial tear drops a lot - with hindsight, I screwed up there. (I went straight from 12 drops a day to 4, which wasn't enough in my case, so my eyes dried up and took a day or two to be comfortable again.)

1Anxious1 09-19-2012 04:07 PM

Thought I'd give you an update on my progress. It's been 4.5 months since I had lasik treatment and I've been told that I need an enhancement as my sight has deteriorated to -1 in both eyes. I go back in November to see the surgeon. I've recovered well, so I'm just one of the lucky ones. My vision was not perfect straight after having surgery and my gut feeling was right, it wasn't going to improve, in fact it's gone from -.50 after treatment to -1 now in both eyes. Having said that, I do know someone who had the same vision as me after treatment in one eye and it improved to 20/20 vision after 2 months, so don't give up hope :)

edentayler 12-28-2012 12:13 PM

Hi
I am also a little nervous about having lasik (not the best experience), only I had the one eye lasered 6 days ago 20th Dec 12. It has improved a little but I can only see signs on roads as I pass them, blurry eyes on evenings TV is a blur, and not able to see registration plates two cars in front. I do feel that I am expecting too much too soon but can't help reading up about different experiences. I also have to wait until 12th Jan to see dr as the appointment at leeds clinic had all been booked up which has left me feeling miserable, with no one really interested. Any info would be most welcomed.

jas88cam 12-30-2012 06:32 AM

You've had no followup appointments yet and won't until 23 days after the surgery!? That doesn't sound like good care to me; I certainly had followup appointments at 1 and 8 days afterwards. Are you driving?

7 months on, I've deteriorated to about -1 and -3 (left and right respectively, plus some astigmatism); I have a pair of glasses ordered for the time being, then another followup in February to see if my corneas have stabilised/healed enough to re-operate. (-1 and -3 is a long way from the -10 I had before, but still...)

edentayler 01-02-2013 05:13 AM

I am hoping my feelings are going to change about having this Lasik..I am 13 days post op and can see a little change ie watching TV, things from distance okish, although the road sign are still quite a blur until driving past. The thing that has annoyed me the most is although I saw the Optometrist (i think) the day after the op (every thing tip top) I have had to wait till 12 Jan for the next visit. This is nearly 1 month for a check up. I was told that appointments were fully booked up until then (thought we were supposed to after follow up 1 week after etc... I have recently noticed that I have a clear spot of mucus on my eye near the cornea no pain or blurriness but still.., which has freaked me out, so I phone up the company this morning and was told that I would have to wait till tomorrow and could I visit my own GP. I have learnt a valuable lesson and that is do not book anything similair to this during holiday session, I would have also thought that they surely should have a guy on stand by, like dentsits after all it is SURGERY. Sorry for the moaning but like a lot of folk, I am starting to feel maybe should of read up a little more. Hopefuly I will be feeling a lot more up beat after tomorrow.