HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lasik Eye Surgery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lasik-eye-surgery/)
-   -   LASIK again ten years later? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lasik-eye-surgery/918806-lasik-again-ten-years-later.html)

Newton418 09-17-2012 08:22 AM

LASIK again ten years later?

I had my first LASIK at age 40, when I was nearsighted and astigmatic. Now, at age 50, my eyes have (of course) aged to the point where I'm very farsighted. Can I safely get a second LASIK procedure to correct?

guy448 09-18-2012 04:25 AM

Re: LASIK again ten years later?

Why risk again, you risked first time, I guess it went well. Don't play with it second time.

otte 10-01-2012 05:09 AM

[QUOTE=Newton418;5057312]I had my first LASIK at age 40, when I was nearsighted and astigmatic. Now, at age 50, my eyes have (of course) aged to the point where I'm very farsighted. Can I safely get a second LASIK procedure to correct?[/QUOTE]

I am with Guy448. It is a gamble - you may have great results, you may not. I chose the life time plan, had both eyes done twice last year and they are still not right. I'll stick with glasses when I need them.

david590 11-17-2012 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=Newton418;5057312]I had my first LASIK at age 40, when I was nearsighted and astigmatic. Now, at age 50, my eyes have (of course) aged to the point where I'm very farsighted. Can I safely get a second LASIK procedure to correct?[/QUOTE]
Hi, I'm 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I'm far sighted which is much worse than near sighted but, I'm told, it may get better. In any case, I've read various things about lasik enhancements and I've made the decision to not to do it. There are risks specifically with the cornea flap and I'm going to leave well enough alone and get along with glasses.

My vision is correctable with glasses and is currently only slightly far-sighted (+.75) so I'm just going to live with it.

david590 11-17-2012 10:55 PM

Hi, I'm 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I'm far sighted which is much worse than near sighted but, I'm told, it may get better. In any case, I've read various things about lasik enhancements and I've made the decision to not to do it. There are risks specifically with the cornea flap and I'm going to leave well enough alone and get along with glasses.

My vision is correctable with glasses and is currently only slightly far-sighted (+.75) so I'm just going to live with it.

How far-sighted are you? Do you need glasses for distance. Or is it that you just can't see near due to the age?

Pablo7703 11-19-2012 01:58 PM

the risk in a second Lasik is lower than that of the first lasik because the flap is already there...

otte 11-19-2012 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=PabloPicasso;5091660]the risk in a second Lasik is lower than that of the first lasik because the flap is already there...[/QUOTE]

I would think all the risks are the same. The only difference is the flap is already cut. I did ask my doctor what the time frame was for lifting the flap and he said he has done them 10 years later which means to me it never really fully heals. The risks are still the same with the flap being positioned properly, and as with any cuts there is scarring, again lifting the flap is an injury to the body. There is also the risk of infections, getting the correction correct, induced sight problems like astigmatism like I have, dry eye, and more.
This is a major operation and I look back thinking how weird it was that a person can just walk into a room and have the cornea cut and lifted without a whole lot of sterilization done.

Pablo7703 11-20-2012 12:20 AM

You are absolutely right.. the only problems you will not have the risk of when the flap is already created are problems related to cutting blood supply to the retina and increasing the intraocular pressure in the process of creating the flap..
I am glad you are thinking this through and taking your time before rushing into it.. if only I was like you before I had mine done :) good luck