It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Newton418 HB User
LASIK again ten years later?

I had my first LASIK at age 40, when I was nearsighted and astigmatic. Now, at age 50, my eyes have (of course) aged to the point where I'm very farsighted. Can I safely get a second LASIK procedure to correct?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
(male)

guy448 HB User
Re: LASIK again ten years later?

Why risk again, you risked first time, I guess it went well. Don't play with it second time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
(male)

otte HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton418 View Post
I had my first LASIK at age 40, when I was nearsighted and astigmatic. Now, at age 50, my eyes have (of course) aged to the point where I'm very farsighted. Can I safely get a second LASIK procedure to correct?
I am with Guy448. It is a gamble - you may have great results, you may not. I chose the life time plan, had both eyes done twice last year and they are still not right. I'll stick with glasses when I need them.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
(male)

david590 HB User

Quote:
Hi, I'm 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I'm far sighted which is much worse than near sighted but, I'm told, it may get better. In any case, I've read various things about lasik enhancements and I've made the decision to not to do it. There are risks specifically with the cornea flap and I'm going to leave well enough alone and get along with glasses.

My vision is correctable with glasses and is currently only slightly far-sighted (+.75) so I'm just going to live with it.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
(male)

david590 HB User

Quote:
Hi, I'm 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I'm far sighted which is much worse than near sighted but, I'm told, it may get better. In any case, I've read various things about lasik enhancements and I've made the decision to not to do it. There are risks specifically with the cornea flap and I'm going to leave well enough alone and get along with glasses.

My vision is correctable with glasses and is currently only slightly far-sighted (+.75) so I'm just going to live with it.

How far-sighted are you? Do you need glasses for distance. Or is it that you just can't see near due to the age?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Pablo7703 HB User

the risk in a second Lasik is lower than that of the first lasik because the flap is already there...

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
(male)

otte HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloPicasso View Post
the risk in a second Lasik is lower than that of the first lasik because the flap is already there...
I would think all the risks are the same. The only difference is the flap is already cut. I did ask my doctor what the time frame was for lifting the flap and he said he has done them 10 years later which means to me it never really fully heals. The risks are still the same with the flap being positioned properly, and as with any cuts there is scarring, again lifting the flap is an injury to the body. There is also the risk of infections, getting the correction correct, induced sight problems like astigmatism like I have, dry eye, and more.
This is a major operation and I look back thinking how weird it was that a person can just walk into a room and have the cornea cut and lifted without a whole lot of sterilization done.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Pablo7703 HB User

You are absolutely right.. the only problems you will not have the risk of when the flap is already created are problems related to cutting blood supply to the retina and increasing the intraocular pressure in the process of creating the flap..
I am glad you are thinking this through and taking your time before rushing into it.. if only I was like you before I had mine done good luck

Last edited by Administrator; 04-10-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Reply Reply