It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
(male)

ewilderm HB User
Blurry Peripheral Vision Post Lasik

Hello,

I had intralase/Lasik performed on both of my eyes (severe astigmatism) back in Feb of this year. From Feb-Oct I have had numerous issues. The biggest compliant I have had is my peripheral vision is blurry or seems like double vision. This is occurring in both eyes. Nothing ever seemed to relieve this symptom and my Dr. chalked it up to some residual astigmatism after they reran all the initial tests. In Aug, he recommended an enhancement procedure. After much thought I finally convinced myself to have the second procedure on 4 Oct 12. Without a doubt I can see much better since this procedure. This past Friday my vision was 20/15, however the peripheral vision issue is still present. My right eye remains the same, but it has gotten much worse in my left eye. It was fine for the first three weeks post enhancement, but over the last week or so it has gotten really bad actually moving from my periphery into parts of my straight ahead vision. This is coupled with a constant stinging and burning pain in my left eye. The Dr. said the glands under my eyelids look swollen and are causing the pain. He told me to continue using Pred Forte and using warm compresses. On a side note neither of these do anything for the pain. He initially gave me Bromday for pain but has since said stop taking it. Not real sure how to cope with the pain at this point and the Dr doesn't seem to be much of a help. Back to the blurry vision. When I told the Dr. for the 10+ times about the peripheral vision issue this past friday he finally admitted to me that none of his patients have ever complained about this issue and he doesn't know why this is occurring. His answer was we will deal with the pain issue first and we would deal with the vision issue later. This scares the hell out of me as this Dr. is well respected in my community and his practice has been performing this procedure for years. I was wondering if anyone can share any thoughts/experiences on this issue?

Than you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
(female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
I also have blurry side vision in one eye. I am 3 mos post surgery.

My doctor also like yours has never seen this before and he has done around 70k eyes. Last week we both agreed that a second opinion is warranted just to see if any other docs have encountere this. I have had a battery of tests including retinal exams and a field of vision test - all normal. Therefore the blur remains mysterious. There is one other thread on this board on this topic and the person said the blur went away 4 mos after surgery.

Not sure if this helps you but my new realization made 2 days ago is that the eye drops were irritating my eyes. I tried 3 different brands, plus on restassis and asazite at night to help with dryness. All 3 drops made my eyes feel like i washed them with soap. Restassis felt the same way but i read that it helps nerve regeneration so stayed on it for 3 months. Azasite made my eyes burn and tear.

2 days ago i changed drops again, stopped azasite, stopped restassis.

I changed to theratears night time and started using the lid scrub by the same brand called sterilid. Its pretty early for good data bc its only been 2 days BUT i noticed an immediate improvement in eye feeling and vision.

First the feeling that my eyes were just shampooed is highly improved. I would place it at 50% better, at times feeling almost normal. Second my vision in the eye with the side blur is improved. Side blur was almost not noticeable at all today so I would say the side blur has diminished in intensity.

The key learning for me is that the eye drops can actually make things worse if you are intollerant to them.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

eyen HB User
Re: Blurry Peripheral Vision Post Lasik

Thanks. I went to the LASIK surgeon and he said that my blurry vision was probably caused by dryness. They gave me a bunch of Retaine drops and also cauterized the tear ducts on the blurry eye. I think it is better now although my eyes are really dry. The doc did several tests and said my eyes were fine. in fact he said good eye was 20/15, the other eye was 20/20 which is pretty good after 9 years post-lasik from a -9.5 prescription.

Anyone else use Retaine? I also notice my eyelashes are really long and the tips of them might be causing blurriness especially in the sun they refract light and it is irritating. Anyone snipped their eyelashes?

(FWIW: receptionist upon hearing my use of Visine tears Dry eye said that they are bad for your eyes because they make them dryer. Not sure if that is true. She said I should use the ones the doc gave me). True?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
(male)

chliansh HB User
Re: Blurry Peripheral Vision Post Lasik

"never seen this before" Come on this is a bunch of BS and just an easy way to make you feel like you are the problem not the Lasik. Do some research its been documented before

Lasik by nature only fixes part of the problem and does resolve all of the issues of your original refractive errors. Seems like this is common knowledge to the educated experts but left out off all the fancy brochures.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
(female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
Chilanish

You say blurry peripheral vision has been documented before. I found very little on it online. Do you have any links to where we can all find more information?

Thanks!

Reply Reply