It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
(male)

pgr HB User
Pseudo-Monovision Worth Considering for -5.25 Rx?

Rx: Nearsighted prescription is around -5.25 in each eye but have enjoyed outstandng close vision (must be less than 12 inches!). However with glasses am recently having trouble reading things at reasonable distance. This is prebyopia. I cheat it by sliding my regular glasses down on my nose but would otherwise have to consider bi-focals next time round.
LASIK: Yes, fully checked out & meet all the requirements.

My Dr informed me that after LASIK I will certainly have to have reading glasses (magnifiers). He estimated about 1.50 magnification.

My Dr. also suggested I might consider Pseudo Monovision. One eye would be slightly under corrected and it would retain slightly better close vision.

For about 15 or 20 years I used to wear a single contact mostly in my left eye and it never bothered me. In recent years started wearing glasses exclusively. Based on my contact experience I do not believe pseudo-monovision would bother me. But is it worth the trouble to perhaps give me a 'little' better vision up close (like scanning the gauges in a car while driving) or just get both eyes fully corrected...

Q: So my concern is this - just how bad will my near vision be w/o reading glasses? Perhaps someone w/ a similar Rx and has had LASIK could comment?

Q: Will I be able to comfortably read the guages on a car while driving for example? (I compete in amateur auto racing sometimes but have lots of other activities pseudo monovision might benefit like modeling, woodworking, etc...)

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
(male)

otte HB User
Re: Pseudo-Monovision Worth Considering for -5.25 Rx?

I went for monovision and I do like it. Dr. told me it would allow me to shave & read labels in stores without glasses. I do use glasses for magazine reading and working on the computer. I have glasses for low light driving as Lasik did really screw up my night vision with halos and ghosting (left over astigmatism causes the ghosting). You read about the low light vision troubles people have and it is true.
Once I got my new prescription I ordered glasses from on the internet and they are decent quality and cheap allowing me to have glasses for various tasks.
Bottom line is I can walk around and function quite well with the monovision. I did give up some distance quality by having one eye altered for some close vision but do enjoy the monovision.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
(male)

Merville HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr View Post

Rx: Nearsighted prescription is around -5.25 in each eye but have enjoyed outstandng close vision (must be less than 12 inches!). However with glasses am recently having trouble reading things at reasonable distance. This is prebyopia. I cheat it by sliding my regular glasses down on my nose but would otherwise have to consider bi-focals next time round.
LASIK: Yes, fully checked out & meet all the requirements.

My Dr informed me that after LASIK I will certainly have to have reading glasses (magnifiers). He estimated about 1.50 magnification.

My Dr. also suggested I might consider Pseudo Monovision. One eye would be slightly under corrected and it would retain slightly better close vision.

For about 15 or 20 years I used to wear a single contact mostly in my left eye and it never bothered me. In recent years started wearing glasses exclusively. Based on my contact experience I do not believe pseudo-monovision would bother me. But is it worth the trouble to perhaps give me a 'little' better vision up close (like scanning the gauges in a car while driving) or just get both eyes fully corrected...

Q: So my concern is this - just how bad will my near vision be w/o reading glasses? Perhaps someone w/ a similar Rx and has had LASIK could comment?

Q: Will I be able to comfortably read the guages on a car while driving for example? (I compete in amateur auto racing sometimes but have lots of other activities pseudo monovision might benefit like modeling, woodworking, etc...)

thanks!
Hi PGR, I had Lasik with a high prescription -10 and age 59. Before Lasik i could see quite well all items close up but since having lasik i now need reading glasses, so it is an issue. The first few months was particularly bad as it took time for the brain and muscles in the eye to adjust. To have good distant vision there is a payback with worstening short vision when you are older. Monovision was an option for me but i decided against it as it is a bit of a compromise. Your Dr should be able to give you contacts for a week that will demonstrate the effects of mono vision. I suggest you try this before making any decision on whether to go for Monovison. Finally you should not forget the other potential issues with LASIK including dry eyes which is not necessary a short term problem and can be very destressing as can be nightime halos. Lasik is not without risks, for many the outcome is good but for not an insignificant number there are left worst off. You need to think very carefully how badly you want to give up glasses/contacts before proceeding. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
(male)

otte HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merville View Post
Hi PGR, I had Lasik with a high prescription -10 and age 59. Before Lasik i could see quite well all items close up but since having lasik i now need reading glasses, so it is an issue. The first few months was particularly bad as it took time for the brain and muscles in the eye to adjust. To have good distant vision there is a payback with worstening short vision when you are older. Monovision was an option for me but i decided against it as it is a bit of a compromise. Your Dr should be able to give you contacts for a week that will demonstrate the effects of mono vision. I suggest you try this before making any decision on whether to go for Monovison. Finally you should not forget the other potential issues with LASIK including dry eyes which is not necessary a short term problem and can be very destressing as can be nightime halos. Lasik is not without risks, for many the outcome is good but for not an insignificant number there are left worst off. You need to think very carefully how badly you want to give up glasses/contacts before proceeding. Good luck.
Totally agree with what Merville said.
I had not even heard of monovision until my first consult with lasik. I fortunately have kept the same frame style for my distance and computer glasses so I swapped out one of my lenses on my distance glasses and popped in a lens from my computer glasses therefore in effect allowing me to experience monovision. Took a few weeks for my brain to adapt but liked what I saw. Don't know if that is an option for you.

Reply Reply