It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

ShortyGurl65 HB User
Unhappy Close up vision significantly worse after LASIK

I had Custom Vue LASIK a month ago. My distance vision is great now. No more glasses for driving and seeing far off. The problem is now my close up vision has drastically decreased. Before the surgery I did not rely on glasses to see the pc, read a book ect. The only thing I needed them for close up was to see the small print on pill bottles or tiny print on packages. Now I cannot see the computer, keyboard, read anything up close , or tell which button on my fridge is ice or water! Trying to cook is a challange also, I can see what I'm doing but it's far from clear. I go back for my one month follow up next week. Has anyone had this happen and will it get better? I am hoping I did not trade off one set of glasses for another !

Last edited by ShortyGurl65; 12-16-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Hoping for a reply

Old 12-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
(male)

Merville HB User
Re: Close up vision significantly worse after LASIK

Hi, Not sure what age you are but as you get older the muscles in the eye become less able to focus at short distantances, shortsightness compensates for this but once you had the laser treatment that advantage is lost. That why some people opt for monovision which keeps one eye more suited for short vision. If you are in your 50s etc I am surprised that it was not mentioned. Additionally, your eyes have only just began its healing process. In my case (i am 59), I had laser treatment 6 month ago and I now need glasses for reading, using the computer and when I am cooking etc. It did improve a little after 3 months but my close vision will never be as good as pre laser but i was warned of this by my Surgeon prior to treatment. You do get use it over time and since your distance vision is good and you have not mentioned dryness or halos etc then glasses for reading etc is not so bad a result. I only wish my dryness would clear up! I hope it improves for you. Regards and season greetings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
(female)

ShortyGurl65 HB User

Mervill,

Thank you for your reply. It was mentioned that I would have to rely on readers more then before but did not expect it to be to the degree that it is. Nor was I told that it would be a possibility that it could happen this drastically. I am 47. It is slightly better then before but not much. I have to use + 1.75 now to see close. I did go back for my one month check up about a week ago and was told that its as good as it probably will get. Guess Ill give it more time to heal and see what happens ( no pun intended!! HA). I do have to say my distance is awesome. And I do see some halos at night around signs but not too bad. It is improved significantly compared to before the surgery. I will post again as time goes on.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you ! : )

Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

Pija HB User

I am in the same shoes. I was told I would need readers,which is fine, but I can't see 5 ft in front of me. Very frustrating. It's hard doing my job. I feel isolated. Headaches. Big time buyers remorse.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
(female)

ShortyGurl65 HB User

Piji

I feel your pain. It has been almost three months since my LASIK and I regret having it done. I have basically paid $4,400 to go from one set of Permament glasses for distance to another permanent set for reading! It's been more of a burden for doing my job then ever before since I have to do lots of paperwork. My near vision has been completely ruined . I would much rather put on a pair of glasses to drive . I too knew that I might of had to rely a little on readers but never was told it could be this bad. Best of luck to you! And thanks again for the reply

Old 02-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
(male)

Mig0932 HB User
Re: Near vision Much worse after LASIK

Good afternoon,
I am 55, was corrected for myopia, and now cannot see clearly anything closer than six or seven feet. My presbiopic prescription before lasik was +2.25 in progressive glasses. I could see clearly objects as close as 4 feet looking through the upper part of my glasses, the part that corrected my myopia.
Now, I belive that two phenomenon are at play that explain our increased difficulties at seeing up close since our surgery. One, I believe that most surgeons slighlty overcorrect myopic patients initially, to take into account the regression that normally occurs during the healing process, and the higher the initial myopia the higher the expected regression and the higher the initial overcorrection. Second, I believe that presbyiopia develops not so much because cilliary muscles become weaker, but rather because the cristalline lens become more rigid as we age. On top of that, myopic people do not have to accomodate as much as normal vision people for close vision, hence their cilliary muscles indeed get indeed weaker.
What this means is that, during the healing process, not only are we slightly hyperopic due to programmed initial overcorrection, but our cilliary muscles also have to become stronger as we now need to accomodate for close vision.
In my case, my one moth post-op exam showed that the initial overcorrection ihas indeed regressed to some extent. I also noticed that, if I do not use glasses of any kind to work on the computer, I start to see the screen more clearly after 15 minutes or so and that I can then focus clearly on objects as close as five feet for about half an hour.
My distance vision is great, even in my left eye which has still a bit more astigmatism than my right eye at the moment.
As for other common post-op symptoms such as dry eye, haloes and starbusts at night, I had them all, but never at levels that were troublesome. All of those symptoms have also decreased during my first month post-op, which is encouraging..
Of course, every patient heals differently, but hang in there. Things might improve for you as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mig0932 For This Useful Post:
Pija (02-23-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
(female)

Pija HB User

I am probably (hopefully) just being impatient. My sister had PRK the week before me and she sees great. She does use readers, but she can see way better than me. I need to give it more time, but my gut says I'm screwed. I have a few coworkers that have had it done and are very pleased, but they are all younger than me and don't have presbyopia yet. Just have to wait and see....

Old 05-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
(male)

aladino52 HB User

Wow Im 57 I had my lasik 3 weeks ago. Reading this post wo make my eyes tears I believe I lost 25% of my near vision. I do not blame my surgeon because I made a choice,. My distance now is perfect nice. I continue to have dry eyes and hazy eyes, It is frustrating and I work with computers and people. sometime I think I made a mistake but I hope some day I can get a better close picture....

Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
(female)

Pija HB User

I have had the same experience. My doctor said that I am slightly farsighted and that can still clear up in 3-6 months yet. But in the meantime I am wearing Daily contacts for that close up vision at a very low diopter. My far distance is great. I just couldn't see 2-10 ft away very well. But I also needed readers to read books etc. The contacts have helped with that. He said I will probably not want to wear them in a few months.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
(male)

liman923 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyGurl65 View Post
I had Custom Vue LASIK a month ago. My distance vision is great now. No more glasses for driving and seeing far off. The problem is now my close up vision has drastically decreased. Before the surgery I did not rely on glasses to see the pc, read a book ect. The only thing I needed them for close up was to see the small print on pill bottles or tiny print on packages. Now I cannot see the computer, keyboard, read anything up close , or tell which button on my fridge is ice or water! Trying to cook is a challange also, I can see what I'm doing but it's far from clear. I go back for my one month follow up next week. Has anyone had this happen and will it get better? I am hoping I did not trade off one set of glasses for another !
Hi Shortygurl, I had LASIK done 2 days ago and opted for correction of both eyes for distant vision. I was shocked that my vision is blurry under 12 feet. I have to wear reading glass +1.50 for practically anything. Did your near vision improved? How long did it take for your near vision to improve?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
(male)

liman923 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyGurl65 View Post
I had LASIK done 2 days ago and is now experiencing poor near vision under 12 feet. Did your near vision improve? How long did it take to improve?

Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
(male)

liman923 HB User

I am 50 years old male, had both eyes corrected for distant vision 2 days ago because doctor told me with mono vision, I would lose depth perception. I have lost my near vision under 12 feet. Did your near vision improved, and how long did it take to improve?

Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
(male)

liman923 HB User

How was your near vision now? I had LASIK done 2 days ago and I am experiencing blurry vision under 12 feet. Anything you can share with me?

Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
(male)

liman923 HB User

I had LASIK done 2 days ago. I had presbyopia prior to correction. I opted to correct both eyes for distant vision. Now I have blurry vision for seeing anything under 12 feet. I have to wear reading glasses to read a book, check my iPad, surf the net and practically doing anything requiring close vision. Can anyone share their experience with me?

Old 09-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
Hi liman

Near vision is impacted for a few weeks because the lasik suction thing injures the eye muscles. Just one of the many little facts they dont tell you.

It clears up after 2-6 weeks. Also sometimes you can be overcorrected which if a small overcorrection like +.5 or less will clear up on its own most likely in 3-6 months. Since you already needed reading glasses before hand, you will still need them. Any overcorrection or muscle damage is most likely exacerbated because you already were presbyopic.

I had both issues. Near vision cleared up in about 4 weeks. Overcorrection in 1 eye took about 4 months. I was not presbyopic so i could see near except for within 3 feet felt like I was looking through a fishbowl for the first several weeks. Reading glasses didnt help me, just made me dizzy so had to wait it out.

I am only providing an educated guess. I am not a doctor.

Reply Reply