It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
(male)

patientpatrick HB User
Over a year after Lasik - eyes still dry

I had Lasik eye surgery over a year ago. Like many, I expected it to be the miracle everyone says it is. I’ve had friends and collegues speaks wonders of the procedure and that it was the best money they ever spent. I can honestly look in the mirror now and say it was the worst money I ever spent.

I’m a teacher at a Design school, and I’m extremely dependent on my eyes for my profession. I thought Lasik was going to be the biggest and most promising investment I could ever make, the opportunity to live a life not dependent on glasses. What I found instead is that I traded that dependency for eye drops. I used to stare at my class and see the promise in their eyes, now I can barely stare at them for any longer than a few secs.

What bothers me the most is that I didn’t go to a Lasik mill as they say. I went to a highly rated institute and a very experienced surgeon. I kept reassuring myself that it’s a safe procedure and that 95% of patients are satisfied with their results. Tiger Woods had Lasik, Lindsey Vonn had Lasik, a lot of eye doctors get Lasik. In fact my surgeon was one of the few Lasik surgeons who performs Lasik on eye doctors, so I felt I was in the good hands.

After my 1 year check-up I noticed I was still in pain and discomfort. I still see halos and starbursts though not as extreme as they were a year ago. Perhaps the most interesting of events is how I feel after throwing out my glasses. I was the artsy professor with the thick black rimmed glasses. I feel as though I lost a big part of who I am. I find myself constantly reading all the terrible stories on the internet.

I was hoping that I would be healed after a year but fear my pain is now permanent. I guess I’m looking for some encouragement and hope out there. I keep hearing that the pain and dryness heals after 6months. I'm well over double that and I'm still in pain. Anyone eventually recover years later?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-31-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
Re: Over a year after Lasik - eyes still dry

Hi Patrick,

has it gotten better for you?

I had lasik 5 months ago. Turns out now that was a leap of (bad) faith. I did do research, but it sounded like all of the problems go away unless you are in the .2% that get ectasia. Obviously, the truth wasn't disclosed to me and researching online you find the same glossed over half-truths that your doctor told you. The FDA website is a bit better, but who thinks to read the FDA website before undergoing medical procedures?! Plus not even the FDA tells you that the flap doesn't heal. I don't even think the doctors know if it does or not. The optometrists in my docs office says that the old style flaps didn't, the new ones do. But I can't find any validation for that online anywhere. Why didn't they explain that BEFORE they do the procedure?

Just wondering if you have had any recovery since your last post.

My situation:
1. right eye: fine, still probably healing but sees good, and feels decent most of the time. Not 100% normal, but seems to always be on the upswing.
2. left eye: Not even close to the same result as the right eye. Near vision goes in and out from clear to blurry for no apparent reason, and there is a glare or blurring on one side of my vision that is very annoying.

I am also seeing starbursts that I don't like and were not there before. Driving is fine, street lamps are fine. But LED lights like on the cable box, and outdoor house lights all have starbursts. Last night I saw 3 moons for a few seconds before blinking a bunch of times and acclimating to the night darkness. LasikPlus is where I had this done. They said up to 3 months you could have starbursts/halos/glare and then it goes away. Really? Its been 5 months and it is still there.

Reply Reply

Tags
dry eyes, lasik