It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

greeneyedgirl02 HB User
4 days Post Lasik - One eye better than the other

Hi Everyone,

I am 4 days post lasik and on my day after check up was 20/15 in my left eye and still a fuzzy and not as clear in my right eye. They wrote me down as 20/20 in my right eye because I could read the letters, but they were pretty fuzzy. My brain uses my right eye more than my left eye so it is a little annoying right now. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced having one eye better than the other and if it eventually got better on its own. I have read that the eyes heal at different rates. I have noticed that my right eye does dry out more easily and is more bothersome than my left eye.

Thanks for listening!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
(male)

lasiks32 HB User
Re: 4 days Post Lasik - One eye better than the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedgirl02 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am 4 days post lasik and on my day after check up was 20/15 in my left eye and still a fuzzy and not as clear in my right eye. They wrote me down as 20/20 in my right eye because I could read the letters, but they were pretty fuzzy. My brain uses my right eye more than my left eye so it is a little annoying right now. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced having one eye better than the other and if it eventually got better on its own. I have read that the eyes heal at different rates. I have noticed that my right eye does dry out more easily and is more bothersome than my left eye.

Thanks for listening!
It seems we had surgery on the same date (1/3/13?). I also got very good results almost immediately on my left eye. My right eye has been getting better, but it is still slightly blurry. I am being told by the doctor, family, and friends (who've had the procedure done) that vision will slowly improve in the right eye. I am hopeful as it's been less than 1 week.

Discomfort and dryness is slowly going away. I still think the worse part is wearing the goggles to sleep!

How are your eyes doing today?

The following user gives a hug of support to lasiks32:
greeneyedgirl02 (01-10-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to lasiks32 For This Useful Post:
greeneyedgirl02 (01-10-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

greeneyedgirl02 HB User

Thank you for your reply. Yesterday was great vision wise and I could tell my right eye is starting to get a little clearer and my brain seemed to be using my left eye more. I woke up this morning and noticed that my left eye is now slightly worse than my right eye indoors, but when I go outside it is better. It seems pretty strange to me with all the fluctuations, but I too asked a co-worker of mine who had the procedure done last year. She stated that she also experienced one eye being better than the other and they would fluctuate back and forth that way for the first 3 months. After that they stabalized and she had no further issues. She also said she experienced a 3 days straight were both her eyes were blurry. Sounds like this early in the stages of healing who knows what will happen. It is nice to know that this sounds to be normal, but I wish that someone would have explained this to me before I had the procedure, because I had no idea!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
(male)

brandonjay21 HB User

Yay! Some more people who had LASIK around the day I did. I had mine on the 4th. Surgery went alright, but I have corneal abrasions on both of my eyes. The Dr put clear contacts in until Friday afternoon. I can't wait to get them out. My vision has been pretty bad so far. I have noticed improvements, but it's still nowhere near enough. It's comforting to know it's not uncommon for people to wait longer than 4-5 days to heal... it's just frustrating as I feel like the majority of people who post talk about how well they saw within the first few days.

But I'll sit, and I'll wait.... and buy more eyedrops.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
(male)

lasiks32 HB User

Quote:
... It is nice to know that this sounds to be normal, but I wish that someone would have explained this to me before I had the procedure, because I had no idea!
My co-worker said it took him a few months to get to 100%. My brother-in-law says it took him six months to fully recover. I was expecting this going in, and the doctor also explained this to me. So I am giving it time. That is unfortunate that nobody told you beforehand.

Just as a reference, I was at -5.0 for both eyes. Slight astigmatism in left eye, which is the one with clearer vision right now.

Still slightly blurry in right eye. Slightly better each day, especially in the morning. The best part is I don't have to wear those horrible goggles to bed anymore, and today is the last day of steroid drops.

How about you? Any improvement?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
(female)

greeneyedgirl02 HB User

Today my left eye was back to normal, crisp and clear indoors and out. Also today, went in for my 1 week appointment with my regular optometrist and am seeing 20/20 with both eyes, 20/20 with left eye, and 20/25 with right with slight astimagtism (I swear that the letters I was reading the day after my surgery at the surgeon's office were bigger, but just could be my imagination). My regular optometrist says my right eye could get better, but acted like it probably wouldn't. Not really a big deal to me as I am seeing 20/20 with both so overrall I am pleased as long as they stay that way. Eyes are still pretty dry though. My pre-surgery prescription was -4.25 in each eye with astimagism.

Please keep me updated with your progress and thank you for the replies!

Last edited by greeneyedgirl02; 01-10-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
(female)

bilingues94 HB User

I too had lasik surgery (dec 27 2012) . It has been a horrible experience and wished someone would have told me what to expect after the surgery. I still can't drive so I'm out of work, I have problems with nigh vision, ghosting, halos and double vision. My doctor keeps telling me it's part of the healing process. I'm very depressed my whole life has changed and depend on others to drive me around. How long is the recovery period? I just need reassurance that hopefully my vision will improve.

The following user gives a hug of support to bilingues94:
greeneyedgirl02 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
(male)

brandonjay21 HB User

Congrats on the progress greeneyedgirl02. I'm sorry for your suffering bilingues94. I hope it gets better. From what I keep reading, it just takes time... I know, from all my friends who have had the surgery and could see just fine right after, I had a completely different expectation vs what was realistic.

I went to my 1 week follow-up today. The Dr said my abrasions healed, and took out my bandage lenses. So I am extremely excited about that. Unfortunately I have not seen much in the way of progress with my vision. The Dr said my eyes are still inflamed, so he has me taking the Prednisone every 2 hours this week to get that down. He said I should slowly see improvement, but thinks there's a chance I will be just shy of perfect when I finally stabilize. He said a re-enhancement is not something he'd rule out, but that's not something we need to worry about until my eyes are done healing, and we know the final results... which makes sense.

Unfortunately patience is not a virtue I possess.

The following user gives a hug of support to brandonjay21:
bilingues94 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

bilingues94 HB User

Thanks for your response and your fortunate that your Dr discusses your prognosis with you . I on the other hand am not that lucky. He tells me to be patient and give it time. Patience is not my virtue either all I can do is Pray .

The following user gives a hug of support to bilingues94:
lasiks32 (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
(male)

lasiks32 HB User

Quote:
Today my left eye was back to normal, crisp and clear indoors and out. Also today, went in for my 1 week appointment with my regular optometrist and am seeing 20/20 with both eyes, 20/20 with left eye, and 20/25 with right with slight astimagtism ... Not really a big deal to me as I am seeing 20/20 with both so overrall I am pleased as long as they stay that way. Eyes are still pretty dry though...

Please keep me updated with your progress and thank you for the replies!
Glad to know your vision is improving.

I am going in tomorrow for my 4 week follow-up. My left eye is pretty much perfect. My right eye is still a little behind in terms of recovery. Night time vision keeps getting better, although not as clear as daytime driving. Halos and starbursts are slowly going away, and are minimal.

I can see the computer monitor crystal clear from about 2.5 feet, which is great. But it goes out of focus if I leave that range. It's probably due to the difference between the eyes.

I am still anxious and hopeful. I am probably at 20/20 with both eyes, even though from far away I still can't see as well as I did with glasses or contacts. I must say that even if my vision stayed this way, it is so much better than wearing glasses!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
(male)

deeselcyde HB User

I'm a 25 year old male. I had been wearing contacts for about 10 years and my last prescription was -5.75. I had my custom wavefront surgery on 1/23/2013 (wednesday). The following Monday when I woke up I noticed that my right eye was much sharper at distance than my left. Thinking it was part of the healing process, I kept putting drops in my eye and didn't let it bother me. I've visited with the doctor a couple of times after the surgery and he's exclaimed that I've been healing beautifully.

This week, 6 weeks after surgery, I've noticed it has not gotten better, except more noticeable. I met with my doctor today and he said that my right eye was at 20/15 and my left eye was 20/25, a half-diopter off. He said he wouldn't be surprised if I needed a touch-up (free) after my 6 month healing period. There is a "chance" that it could get better on it's own, though. BACKSTORY: My father went to this doctor about 9 years ago and had to get a touch up from his as well, however, touch-ups are only needed in 2% of patients...maybe it's genetics?

Now, onto today...I've been testing my eyes because I've gotten paranoid with the whole situation. It seems that when looking at a computer screen or something within 10-7 feet, my what I thought was my weaker left eye is sharper than my right eye, but, at distance my right eye is sharper.

It's not that it's completely awful, but, it's definitely very noticeable. Is this part of the healing process (on my 6th week). My doctor said he won't touch me up until 6 months after my surgery.

BTW, this doctor is a world renowned, top-dollar doctor so I DO trust him.

Any input?

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
(female)

greeneyedgirl02 HB User

They would really do a touch up on you eye even though you are seeing 20/25 and your previous sight was at -5.75? Wow! I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Seeing better than 20/20 in left and 20/25 in right (previous prescription was -4.25); however, my eyes are working well together and I do not notice the difference unless I close the other eye and compare them with one another. I was told by my eye doctor that if I asked for a touch up on the right eye that is seeing 20/25 I would be laughed at because it is so minimal. I am told some eyes just aren't capable of seeing 20/20.

*Note - it took about 5-6 days for my eyes to start working together with one another.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
(male)

deeselcyde HB User

Quote:
They would really do a touch up on you eye even though you are seeing 20/25 and your previous sight was at -5.75? Wow! I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Seeing better than 20/20 in left and 20/25 in right (previous prescription was -4.25); however, my eyes are working well together and I do not notice the difference unless I close the other eye and compare them with one another. I was told by my eye doctor that if I asked for a touch up on the right eye that is seeing 20/25 I would be laughed at because it is so minimal. I am told some eyes just aren't capable of seeing 20/20.

*Note - it took about 5-6 days for my eyes to start working together with one another.

Good luck to you!
Thank you for your response.

My doctor implies that custom wavelength should have perfect results, therefore, he wants (as do I) perfection. Some people heal differently than others. He ran the wavelength machine on me and before doing the eye test on me he knew by just looking at the chart that the left eye would be about a half diopter off.

The thing that I'm concerned about is that my good eye (right eye) for distance isn't as good as my left eye while typing this to you. The left eye is tack sharp looking at the screen and my right eye is not nearly as sharp but still definitely clear. At distance it's the complete opposite. I'm really concerned/worried that after my touch up I'll still have these problems. My doctor is not worried at all. It's been almost 6 weeks since I've noticed the differences in my eyes....

Do you still have problems with starbursts at night? Also, at night do you have problems with halos around brighter objects (like looking at a white screen on the tv do you see a small white cloudy outline of the tv?)?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
(female)

greeneyedgirl02 HB User

I too had custom wavelength and am about 9 weeks out. My doctor did not say anything to me about perfection. Yes, I still see halos at night, but am told that should go away around 6 months. Even if it doesn't I am okay with it because the trade off of not having to wear contacts or eye glasses after 20 years is amazing!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #15
(female)

loopey34 HB User

I had Lasik (10 years ago now) I remember that post op I had one eye that was slightly blurry and didn't seem to focus and well while the other eye had crystal clear vision.

I remember that I also used to find that lights blinded me for a quite a while afterwards, especially at night.

The eye blurring did clear up after a few weeks and I ended up with lovely vision for a few years, although my sight did start to go bad again from 4 years post op onwards and I am not back in glasses and lenses. I still have a nightmare driving at night due to poor night vision and head light glare.

Reply Reply