It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
(female)

BigDGeek HB User
Getting PRK in 12 days

I was recently assessed for LASIK; I was told that while the surgery was physically possible, they didn't recommend it because it would remove too much corneal tissue for the surgeon's comfort level. He recommended PRK or ICL, so I chose PRK.

I will be having it done on both eyes at once. I'm 37, otherwise healthy, no eye infections for many years though I did have a nasty bout of corneal ulcers over five years ago, have worn glasses since age 6, wore contacts for 20 years prior to the corneal ulcers. My prescription is -9.5 in both eyes and my corneal thickness is 560-something. I have a touch of astigmatism but not much.

I'm posting here now so there's a 'before' post. The surgery is scheduled for 2/22. There's so much negativity here about laser surgery that I thought I'd share my experience in a single thread, positive OR negative. :-)

Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
(male)

m27 HB User
Re: Getting PRK in 12 days

With your rx - you are in high risk territory!! See some of my other posts. Would talk now, but have to go out with gkids. There are no positives-if you, your husband, boyfriend, girlfriend or whatever dont like your glasses-too bad! If you are having corrected vision problems with glasses, stay away from high index, go back to old plastic lenses. Anyway, with your rx approching double digits (like mine) you will soon have cataracts and then get iol implant and you can correct to 20/25 or ask for -2 as a final result and use no glasses for computer or reading, just maybe for night driving.
Have a good weekend but no surgery.
Enjoy
Marshall

Last edited by Administrator; 03-08-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
(female)

BigDGeek HB User

Thanks for the input but I've talked to a lot of people with high prescriptions who have had the surgery and they all had good outcomes. I'm going to proceed with it.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-08-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
(male)

m27 HB User

ok,
I understand you want to throw away your thick glasses, thats fine....but where are you getting this?? Many places are out for $$$... There are many failed results that do not result in blindness so they do not count as problems for reporting purposes. I know a -10 lady a little older than you, who couldnt wait just like you. She went forward and the night glare makes night driving impossible. She has a 20/15 result and sees great.. Has many different reading rx glasses for computer etc.. She went to Bascom/Palmer for consultaion and they told her it is a common problem with high rx's and she should have waited-since they also spotted early cataracts and would have given IOL for free under her insurance to perfect vision in a year or two as the cararacts progressed. SHE WOULD NOT DO IT AGAIN!
PLEASE WAIT OR GET A SCOND OPINION FROM A TEACHING HOSPITAL-YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SET OF EYES. what is your reasoning for doing it right now?
let me know

Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

mlsano HB Usermlsano HB User

Im also watching this post, please let us know how your high level surgery went. Please post as soon as you can see well enuf to use the computer. Very concerned, thanks. Mary

Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
(female)

BigDGeek HB User

I didn't post here because the first responders seemed more interested in picking a fight over my After further discussions with the surgeon, we decided to do IntraLASIK instead of PRK. The surgery was performed on 2/22 and I'm now 9 days post-op.

The surgery itself hurt like hell. I really thought it would not hurt as much as it did, but it was agony. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they might have forgotten to put the numbing drops in.

On the bright side, the surgery only took about 7 minutes so the hell didn't last long. My eyes were extremely light sensitive and gritty the evening after surgery; I could barely keep them open more than a couple of seconds at a time. It was not easy.

The first day post-surgery I could actually see! My vision wasn't 100% but it was good enough for me to use the computer with the font enlarged, and I could see my television just fine.

Day 2 post-surgery, a Sunday, was my first time behind the wheel after the surgery. It felt weird and I was dizzy and a little nauseated because I now have a full field of vision instead of the very restricted straight-ahead vision I had with my glasses. It takes a bit of getting used to.

Day 3 post-surgery was my first checkup. My visual acuity was 20/200 at BEST before the surgery. They measured it as 20/30 3 days after the op.

Day 9 post-surgery I am still dealing with dry eyes (normal) and poor night vision (also normal at this phase).

I finished all the anti-biotic eyedrops but am still using the anti-inflammatory drops and the wetting drops. My next checkup is on 3/12.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-08-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
(female)

mlsano HB Usermlsano HB User

Thank you for letting me know the outcome as I also was concerned but didn't say anything. It sounds like a successful outcome and you were sooooo brave. I am not a candidate for any vision correcting sx but I will be having cataract surgery soon enough. It sounds like it was worth it for you and nothing strange, except for some pain happened. 20/200 ? Is that what you said? I thought you were a neg. 9 ? I don't know much about reading prescriptions but I am a -9 and I have 5/2000 without Glasses ..... Cant see even the BIG E on the kids "E" Chart..... but with glasses I am still 20/25 and 20/30, but I know what you mean about the flatline vision ... it would be so nice to be able to see all around! Congrats! On your surgery and keep using those drops (I have dry eye also, its a gritty pain!) Mary

Last edited by Administrator; 03-08-2013 at 04:00 AM.

Reply Reply